06-22-11, 02:35 PM   #1
Oreofox
A Murloc Raider
Problem with kgpanels

I didn't see a thread like this one, and it's different from what the other person was having difficulties with in the "need help with kgpanels" thread. Anywho, onto my problem...

I installed kgpanels and have been trying to get it to work. I watched a few tutorials on youtube, and followed each one. Only problem, is I can't get it to read my textures. They are tga files, and I type in the path correctly (they are in \\Interface\\panelart\\) but all I get in the little preview is a green rectangle. So, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

To make sure it wasn't just my textures, I downloaded some art packs from this site, and they also show up as green rectangles. I have kgpanels downloaded from this site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
06-22-11, 04:20 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
iirc, WoW now only loads textures in directories that are loaded (ie, addons not random texture folders). I believe this was for speed and efficiency. So, put your textures in a directory in the kgPanels folder and point the path to there instead.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-22-11, 07:35 PM   #3
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Try making a folder in the "AddOns" folder, putting your graphics in there, and adjusting your file path in kgPanels accordingly. It would look something like this: "\\Interface\\AddOns\\YourArtFolder\\panelart.tga". You don't necessarily have to put it in the kgPanels folder.

Seerah, I don't know when that started, but I still have mine just in a folder in the "AddOns" folder, and they work fine.

Also, make sure your artwork is the correct size. IE: WoW will only use artwork that is sized correctly in powers of 2. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, and I think the largest you can make an image is 1024 (but I'm not too sure on that one). These measurements are in pixels, and are per side. The image doesn't have to be square, but each side does have to measure in powers of 2.

You might want to have a look at the kgPanels Wiki.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 06-22-11 at 11:31 PM. Reason: I keep thinking of MORE. DOH!!
06-23-11, 06:36 AM   #4
Oreofox
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for the replies. I followed both of your suggestions, and kgpanels read the art to where it is no longer a green rectangle. However, now, the textures I loaded into kgpanels are not showing as options in the active panel texture drop down menu.
06-23-11, 07:57 AM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Sometimes that happens to me, also. Unfortunately, I can't remember if it takes a simple reloading of your UI (/rl in chat) or a client restart to fix it.

Ahhhh, the vagueries of the aging mind....
06-23-11, 09:53 AM   #6
Oreofox
A Murloc Raider
That fixed it. Thank you Jeffy
06-23-11, 06:29 PM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Problem with kgpanels