04-21-11, 04:50 AM   #21
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by MiniStew View Post
But he doesn't. He just started playing and plays as a tank, he's pretty clueless about it.
Exactly how in-the-know is he supposed to be as a new player? Experience, time, and heavy research about his class is all he needs. Point him to the official tank forums, the Ask Mr Robot site, and Elitist Jerks.

Above all else, never ever be a backseat gamer. Be patient and point him to the information and he will do the rest.

As for addons, he does not need any. The game is designed to give you all the information you need without the aid of an addon. It's up to him to do the rest.

Last edited by Petrah : 04-21-11 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Spelling error
04-21-11, 10:47 AM   #22
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Here is a good example for you. I am a heavy addon user. Nothing in my interface is default. I have a tank among my characters that I try to play regularly. I'm terrible at it.

My wife only uses a very tiny handful of addons for information not related to combat (titan panel type stuff and I think a bag mod) and the rest is pure default. She plays a tank and does it very well. Even uses the default unit frames and action bars.

I find it hard to play without addons though I am certainly capable of it where she has tried to play using my set up and while she can she is not as efficient.

Point being that dedication to the class is all that's *needed* just as Petrah said. The rest is simple preference.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
04-21-11, 11:30 AM   #23
MiniStew
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Exactly how in-the-know is he supposed to be as a new player? Experience, time, and heavy research about his class is all he needs. Point him to the official tank forums, the Ask Mr Robot site, and Elitist Jerks.

Above all else, never ever be a backseat gamer. Be patient and point him to the information and he will do the rest.

As for addons, he does not need any. The game is designed to give you all the information you need without the aid of an addon. It's up to him to do the rest.
I have been patient and have pointed out the information to him. I haven't been forceful.
04-21-11, 07:26 PM   #24
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
What we're saying is that addons won't make him a better player. Only experience will.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-22-11, 03:47 PM   #25
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Well, addons can help people be better players by teaching them better behaviors (Dot timers, cooldowncount, badkitty, etc); they can help by providing the right information or breaking down extraneous information that is distracting (ICEHUD, party frames, etc); and they can help the ol' memory maths by writing down information for you (Gatherer, Auctioneer, Ludwig, Mendeleev, etc).

So yes, they can make you appear a better player (Omen) or teach you better tactics, or tell you when the right time to do things are, or help you tell the client to do the things you want to do (Macaroon)... But you still have to choose the addons and do the actions at the right time.

-Crissa
04-23-11, 05:34 PM   #26
Arxae
A Cyclonian
Let him decide? My UI does not have any stock ui pieces left. why? because it makes me a better player? hell no!
i did it because customizing my ui is a aspect of wow i like too.

But what addons do you think he should use then? Most of addons is just extra info thats not even required to play or art just to make the interface look like you want.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Friend thinks he doesn't need addons.