11-08-09, 05:08 PM   #1
yami
An Aku'mai Servant

Question carbonite lite?

hi,

i'm just wondering if you'll ever come out with a "carbonite lite" that only has some of the features of the normal carbonite, or maybe have an option of users downloading only certain aspects of carbonite.

the reason i ask this, is because carbonite is such a "large" addon (at least for my computer) that it causes me to lag, granted i know it's not your fault that my computer is out dated by technology's standpoint, but i'm sure there's others out there that either are suffering from the same issues as me, or don't use carbonite to avoid these issues.

i love carbonite it's on of my core addons, but again, i'm just curious if this is a possibility for the future.

thank you

11-08-09, 09:03 PM   #2
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The problems is the fact that Carbonite was not written to allow such features and to do so would require basically a whole re-write of the addon. With very little development time being given to Carbonite now the chances of this happening are slim to none.

But this is something I too would like to see someday. Or at least the ability to turn off features.

11-09-09, 05:52 AM   #3
KleinerMink
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I would love to see a light version of carbonite.

Perhaps carbonite will get lighter if they incorporate Blizzards new quest map functions.

11-10-09, 02:01 AM   #4
Phantom
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by KleinerMink View Post
I would love to see a light version of carbonite.

Perhaps carbonite will get lighter if they incorporate Blizzards new quest map functions.
I hope not....The reason I like Carbonite has everything to do with the quest regions...I doubt Blizzard will do that well.

11-24-09, 02:05 AM   #5
yami
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I hope not....The reason I like Carbonite has everything to do with the quest regions...I doubt Blizzard will do that well.
i agree, i doubt the new quest features will ever come close to carbonite's quest features ^^

anywho, thank you for the response.

11-24-09, 03:12 AM   #6
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Nothing saying they cant have their current features while lightening the load of the addon by incorporating some of the new blizzard features. A new API function was added to show what quests were completed by a player that is available to authors. I'm not sure if it can lighten the "weight" of carbonite as I'm not a programmer but ill wager the carbonite team is looking in to it.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

11-28-09, 09:09 AM   #7
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
Nothing saying they cant have their current features while lightening the load of the addon by incorporating some of the new blizzard features. A new API function was added to show what quests were completed by a player that is available to authors. I'm not sure if it can lighten the "weight" of carbonite as I'm not a programmer but ill wager the carbonite team is looking in to it.

Given that right there, Carbonite would no longer need a quest library. They can simply use the in game one.

11-28-09, 01:11 PM   #8
bezal
I'd LOVE a lite version.... Currently I only use the map and quest mod, and it's taking up 9mb of memory to run. I have 'unchecked' or 'disabled' all other modules, I don't use the BG, Social, Gathering, Warehouse, Guide any of that stuff, but it still seems to be eating up memory.

I kinda wish Carbonite Quest still existed

11-29-09, 08:04 AM   #9
Chmee
A Molten Giant
9 MB of memory is trivial, unless you have an old machine with an inadequate amount of RAM - in which case you should either get more RAM (not too tough or expensive) or get a new machine (which may, I grant, be more than you want to spend). But unless your machine is bumping up against a RAM or VM space (ie, hard drive space) limitation, that carbonite takes up 9 OMG! MB shouldn't be a problem.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » carbonite lite?