08-25-08, 01:12 PM   #681
mykekealey
A Defias Bandit
volunteering

Hi Spiel,

I stumbled on nUI a week ago and have been following the forums since.

I'm a French-Canadian, so if you need translation help in either French or Queen's English I'm happy to help.

Also, in reading, I wanted to bring a feature to your attention. A couple of users had asked you to mend the latency bar so that it was part of the casting bar. Rather than have a super thin blue line under the cast bar, users have been asking for the tip of the casting bar to be dyed blue with the appropriate amount of latency, which would make it much easier to see properly. I think you misunderstood what was being requested when the feature was suggested some pages ago.

Awesome mod and I'm happy to help if you need another translator.

myke

Last edited by mykekealey : 08-25-08 at 01:14 PM.

08-25-08, 01:24 PM   #682
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hello Myke --

I appreciate the feedback and the kind words and thank you for the offer of assistance with the translation effort. At the moment, I have two reliable people to assist me with French and Queen's English (or King's English -- take your pick), as well as Spanish. I'm worried my German and Chinese translators may have gone AWOL on me, but I'm waiting a bit to see. I'll keep you in mind, however, should circumstances change.

I wanted to respond to your points regarding the latency bar here in order to open it for conversation and to explain my own opinion/point of view on it.

I personally do not care for latency indicators that stain one end or the other of the casting bar as I find them hard to see in the heat of combat... you have to stare at the bar to see it hit the latency mark.

The reason why I personally prefer a leading bar such as I'm using in nUI is that when that bar vanishes because it has "hit the end" then that is a very strong visual cue that is easy to catch in your peripheral vision... in much the same way as the vanishing global cooldown spark is a strong visual cue. I am hopeful, at some point, of adding a frame flash to the casting bar when the latency expires... it's just not high on the priority list atm.

I do agree that the latency bar in the first beta is too thin (which undermined the ability to see it "vanish") and as a result added weight to it in Beta 2 to improve its visibility.

Now, I'm not against changing my point of view if there's a significant crowd that feels that staining the bar is the better approach (not just the one they're used to, but arguably a better design).

Originally Posted by mykekealey View Post
Hi Spiel,

I stumbled on nUI a week ago and have been following the forums since.

I'm a French-Canadian, so if you need translation help in either French or Queen's English I'm happy to help.

Also, in reading, I wanted to bring a feature to your attention. A couple of users had asked you to mend the latency bar so that it was part of the casting bar. Rather than have a super thin blue line under the cast bar, users have been asking for the tip of the casting bar to be dyed blue with the appropriate amount of latency, which would make it much easier to see properly. I think you misunderstood what was being requested when the feature was suggested some pages ago.

Awesome mod and I'm happy to help if you need another translator.

myke

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-25-08, 02:37 PM   #683
Seer
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
I do agree that the latency bar in the first beta is too thin (which undermined the ability to see it "vanish") and as a result added weight to it in Beta 2 to improve its visibility.

Now, I'm not against changing my point of view if there's a significant crowd that feels that staining the bar is the better approach (not just the one they're used to, but arguably a better design).
Well, my butting in 2 cents, I agree with you, prefer the way it is handled in nui1 and making it a bit bigger sounds nice..

Can't wait to try it out :-)

(take your time)

08-25-08, 03:03 PM   #684
MeqTrader
An Aku'mai Servant

OK,

gonna pitch in, since my I am playing a caster myself and always had the latency indicator from Quartz configured (which was at the end and not underneath) I was one of the people who missed the visual clue on the latency bar beeing there. However since then I noticed that I actually not cast on a visual sign but have been casting for the last 1.5 year while raiding on an audio queue, the end of the Shadowbolt sound. Now surely we can start debating on the potential dps increase if I would pay attention more on the latency bar but with a latency of max 100ms I wonder how much more I would gain and since playing a lock who is already making the tanks work overtime in our raids how many more potential deaths and or cooling down periods I would have to create due to potential over agro ?

See my point ? Where it is in the end comes down to habit and preference, and he, maybe once we get beta 2 out it will be possible to theme the castbar as well so people can write their own skins to fit their needs. But there's my major point, let's all work in getting beta 2 out without any major bugs before we start designing the next installment

Last edited by MeqTrader : 08-25-08 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling (sorry not native english :) )

08-25-08, 03:15 PM   #685
Jordro
A Cyclonian
Cool

I persoanlly like the casting bars that is being used now. With my higher then most latency I find it far more accurate then quartz is.

The UI is running perfect for me. Not one single error or problem after being on it about 6 hrs today . Now to find an excuse for the GF of why I didnt cut the grass today

08-25-08, 03:28 PM   #686
Archippus
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by MeqTrader View Post

See my point ?
Yes. You're a DPS snob!

My main character is a rogue (*sigh*), but I have tried nUI out with several lower level casters. I'm pretty happy with the beta 1 latency bar design, and wouldn't have really noticed that it was too thin if Scott didn't point it out.

So, in short, the latency bar design as-is suits me just fine. If in beta 2 it gains a little bit of girth around the middle, well then it's probably even better suited to me as I am generally following that same trend.

08-25-08, 03:32 PM   #687
Archippus
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Jordro View Post
Now to find an excuse for the GF of why I didnt cut the grass today
I am blessed with a gaming wife. As such, "Hang on... we're about to pull Drek!" is a perfectly acceptable excuse for being late to dinner, and "I'm just one bar short of dinging 65!" is reason enough to cancel any other plans for the evening without getting in trouble.

08-25-08, 03:39 PM   #688
MeqTrader
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Archippus View Post
Yes. You're a DPS snob!
All Blizz fault, honest

08-25-08, 03:59 PM   #689
Seer
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by MeqTrader View Post
All Blizz fault, honest
There you go Jordro, use MeqTrader's excuse, should work..

08-25-08, 04:54 PM   #690
Jordro
A Cyclonian
Talking

Originally Posted by Archippus View Post
I am blessed with a gaming wife.

I want one of those! Wait, that stops all the in game flirting....

Now i am really confused lol

08-25-08, 06:28 PM   #691
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Jordro View Post
I want one of those! Wait, that stops all the in game flirting....

Now i am really confused lol
You gotta be careful with that in-game flirting... about half those "women" are sporting outies.

~lol~

08-25-08, 06:59 PM   #692
Martinus
An Aku'mai Servant
Hello Spiel,

Installed the beta #7 and everything is working great. I've found out something about Carbonite Arrow not moving. It only happen when the minimap is not shown.

Hope this help.

Martinus

08-25-08, 08:39 PM   #693
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Post nUI Beta 2 First Public Release is available for download...

Please take note this is early Beta code, some features from Beta 1 are not yet included and there are known bugs. That said, this release is believed to be reliable and to perform reasonably well. Your feedback is both welcome and requested. Please be constructive. ~smile~

The full release is available for download at http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-nUIBeta2.html

How you can help support nUI's continued development: Your contribution of $5, $10, $20 or more to support the ongoing development of nUI would be greatly appreciated. Click here to make a donation now, please?! . Thanks for your support!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Known Issues:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Party unit frames are not picking up level ups

* still some issues with buff/debuff icons and timers ~sigh~

* Some action buttons highlight as invalid/unavailable when they shouldn't... hunter's
feed pet button, rogue's distract, etc.

* Carbonite is having issues updating the directional arrow when the minimap and/or
battlefield minimap is hidden in the info panel

To-Do List

* Fubar and Titan support are not enabled, so the console does not automatically
move with those bars. I will have both of these items resolved soon.

* Along the same lines... the 15, 20, 25 and 40 man raid panels are not in the pre-release...
both because I am not quite satisfied with them and, again, I'm trying to not have to fix
everything at once... make sure the core stuff is all working, then add the bells and
whistles if you understand.

* Reputation bar needs to be added back in

* Add Talent Build/Spec back

* Add Threat Bar back

* Add rogue combo points to unit frames/HUD (forgot they were on the HUD before)

* Add sorting of raid unit frames by raid group and class

* Add font size options for Chat and Combat log frames

* Add keybindings for button bag, unit panel, info panel and hud layout buttons

Version 2.01.00 (Beta)

* Added range to target information to the HUD

* Added range information to unit frame tooltips

* Added out of range icon and frame fade options to unit frames

* Added out of range message to unit status module

* Added experience bar and mouseover tooltip

* Moved button bag button next to keyring on the bag bar (more intuitive location)

* Fixed a combat taint bug in unit watch (this may be what blew up the target frame when
switching unit panels in combat)

* Fixed an intialization bug in tooltip management that tried to access the fixed tooltip
anchor before the anchor was defined

Version 2.00.07 (Alpha)

* Fixed chat frame edit box strata error that sometimes caused the chat frame edit box
to be overlayed by the chat frame itself.

* Fixed a long list of combat taint errors

* Rewrote possession bar, pet bar and shapeshift bar to fix layering bug from 2.06

* Fixed a configuration file initialization error that prevented nUI from loading on
toons it had not already loaded for previously (that did not have a saved options file)

* Fixed a pet feeder bug that would "crash" the feeder button on the main pet frame
in some situations.

* Several new performance tuning tweaks in the unit frames and other update loops

* Updated frFR, esES, enGB localization files

Version 2.00.06 (Alpha)

* Fixed nUI_UnitAura interface compliance issues

* Fixed a bug in the pet happiness indicator where it kept the last transparency
setting from the flashing state when changing from unhappy to happy

* Fixed a status bar bug that was causing a bar frame flash when switching from a
zero length bar to a bar of any non-zero length

* Fixed a bug in options loading that corrupted the saved tooltips location option
and reset it to the default "owner" position

* Fixed a tooltip localization bug for pet happiness occuring when the pet was angry

* Modified mana bar color to improve contrast

* Modified status bar module to remove inactive and hidden bars from the frame
update loop as an optimization to reduce frame drag and game engine load

* Modified nUI_UnitHealth, nUI_UnitPower and nUI_UnitCasting to disable their respective
status bars when the unit does not exist, the unit is hidden or the module is disabled
in order to optimize frame drag and game engine load in the status bar update loop

* Expanded the slash command system and help system to support the sub-menus

* Added the minimap button bag to the bag bar

* Added '/nui bb' slash command to allow command line toggling of the minimap button bag

* Added '/nui hud scale {n}' command to set the overall HUD scale

* Added '/nui hud shownpc' slash command to toggle display of HUD bars for non-attackable
NPC characters on and off (target bars will always display in combat regardless of
whether or not the target is an attackable NPC)

* Added '/nui hud idlealpha', '/nui hud regenalpha', '/nui hud targetalpha' and
'/nui hud combatalpha' slash commands to control HUD visibility when full idle,
when regenerating health, mana or debuffed, when actively targeting a valid target
or while in combat, respectively

* Added '/nui hud hgap' slash command to allow for setting the horizontal gap between
the left and right sides of the HUD

* Added player and target casting bars to the HUD

* Added spells cast on the target by the player to the HUD

* Added health race bar to HUD

* Added player zone, map coordinates and clock to the dashboard

* Added '/nui clock {12|24}' slash command to allow the player to choose between a
12 hour or 24 hour clock format

* Added '/nui bagbar' slash command to allow for toggling display of the bag bar on/off

* Changed mouseover fade-in / fade-out reaction times and speed for the top bar console

* Swapped positions of micro-menu and system information bars with the HUD selector
button for better visual appearance, to make more room for other features on the top
bar and to reduce the "float" on the HUD selector button when the top bars are faded

Version 2.00.05 (Alpha)

* Added HUD functionality back in... player/target and health/power modes as well as a
no HUD mode. Not all Beta 1 HUD functionality is present at this time, however.

* Added percent mana remaining to player, focus and target in party and raid10 panels

* Moved PvP icons to make room for percent mana on player, focus and target party/raid10

* Yet another pass at issues with timers on the buff/debuff aura icons

* Added additional optimization to fully disable tracking/updates on hidden unit frames
in an effort to further reduce game engine load

* Added update deregistration/reregistration to all unit frame modules on enable/disable
to reduce game engine load resulting from hidden unit frame elements

* Removed casting bars from 10 player raid member unit frames to reduce game engine load

Version 2.00.04 (Alpha)

* Fixed a bug in the detection of MobInfo2 for mob health retrieval

* Fixed missing aura buff/debuff icons

* Fixed missing timers on aura buff/debuff icons

* Fixed mouseover tooltips for buffs and debuffs on units other than the player

* Fixed a nil string error in nUI_UnitRole (line 633)

* Fixed a nil string error in the '/nui console {option}' command when option was not
provided or was left blank

* Fixed error messages in the '/nui tooltips {option}' command when passing an invalid
tooltip settings value for {option}

* Fixed an action bar bug that caused the main action bar keybindings to break after
shapeshifting or going to stealth

Version 2.00.03 (Alpha)

* Fixed a bug the prevented nUI detecting player level up

* Changed parenting for the nUI_MasterFrame from the WorldFrame to the UIParent so that
alt-z (hide the user interface) also hides the nUI dashboard and UI elements without
causing taint in combat (for screencaps, etc.)

* Fixed a scaling bug in the nUI_ChatFrame that causes the chat frame to be mis-located
in certain display resolutions

* Eliminated the spurious "normal" message being printed in unit frame tooltips

* Fixed layout bug where the top bag was overlapping the top of the screen when
multiple bags were open

* Fixed a coloring bug in the pet feeder chat frame messages regarding pet loyalty

* Fixed popup menu locations on all unit frames

* Added party/raid member role to unit tooltips

* Fixed a combat taint error caused by the nUI tooltip manager

* Added raid target icons to the "target" buttons in party and raid unit frames, to all
mouseover unit frames and to all raid member unit frames.

* Debuffs were not being displayed in the solo/player panel focus frame

* Fixed a bug in unit frames that prevented party role icons (leader, assist, tank,
off-tank, master looter) from displaying

* Fixed a bug in the raid target icon update that prevented updating the unit frame
with a new icon when the raid target markings changed

* Fixed the pet happiness indicator to display when enabled at to update when pet
happiness increases

* Fixed the mouseover tooltip on the pet happiness indicator

* Fixed a nil value error in nUI_UnitLabel.lua @ line 467 (class_info)

* Fixed pet feeder to prevent clicking while in combat (caused taint)

* Fixed a bug where the pet feeder would sometimes show no foods even though foods were
valid and availabled caused by the fact that Bliz returns and empty food list for
player pets when the player first logs in or zones

* Increased the size of health and mana bars on raid member frames

* Added '/nui console on|off|mouseover' slash command to allow for enabling, disabling
or setting the top console to show only on mouseover

* Moved the default location of the fixed location tooltip to the left center edge of
the world frame... a compromise.

Version 2.00.02 (Alpha)

* The minimap did not scale correctly at all display resolutions

* The battlefield minimap did not scale correctly at all display resolutions

* The pet feeder is throwing an error about trying to anchor to itself

* Changed how the pet feeder handles updating available food buttons to fix the feeder
showing the wrong button for a valid food caused when the list of foods available
in inventory changes

* European servers are throwing an error that the TimeManagerClockButton does not exist

* Recount and nUI are not playing well together

* If you do not already have a combat log tab on your chat window frame, then you end up
with a blank combat log tab on the info panel.

* The nUI login greeting message wasn't printing

* Name labels on unit frames still do not use class colors like they should

Version 2.00.01 (Alpha)

* Complete re-write of the original nUI Beta 1

Last edited by spiel2001 : 08-26-08 at 02:31 PM.

08-25-08, 09:07 PM   #694
Kailef
A Fallenroot Satyr

Grats on the Beta2 public release. I'm sure everyone's gonna love it as much as I do. And man, just wait until all the other features are enabled. You guys won't be able to stand it, your heads will all explode into candy.

08-25-08, 09:10 PM   #695
spiel2001
nUI's Author

WoW -- some brain surgeon over at Curse.com rejected my nUI upload with an e-mail "CurseForge no longer supports Mod packs as projects"

*shakes his head*

/sigh

08-25-08, 09:11 PM   #696
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Kailef View Post
Grats on the Beta2 public release. I'm sure everyone's gonna love it as much as I do. And man, just wait until all the other features are enabled. You guys won't be able to stand it, your heads will all explode into candy.
Thanks Kailef -- It's been a long hard road to get to the first public release and I am absolutely exhausted, but it feels way good. At least now I can relax a little. ~smile~

08-25-08, 09:17 PM   #697
descent900
A Kobold Labourer
Congrats on the second beta release spiel. Ive been following the forums on this UI for a few days now and I have to say I am absolutely amazed on how you can pack so much and keep this UI at such a small file size. I wish you luck on your further releases.

08-25-08, 09:24 PM   #698
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by descent900 View Post
Congrats on the second beta release spiel. Ive been following the forums on this UI for a few days now and I have to say I am absolutely amazed on how you can pack so much and keep this UI at such a small file size. I wish you luck on your further releases.
Thank you Descent.

08-25-08, 10:23 PM   #699
mscott998
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
/nui commands

i noticed alot of the commads arent available.. i tried to set the yofs and yofs1 and it said there was no such command

08-25-08, 10:30 PM   #700
Kailef
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
WoW -- some brain surgeon over at Curse.com rejected my nUI upload with an e-mail "CurseForge no longer supports Mod packs as projects"

*shakes his head*

/sigh
Wow. Makes me want to kick him in the head. Hello? That's the whole point of nUI. It's NOT a "mod pack". Please consider the following chart, to help you better understand the problem you are facing:

Superman: Leaps tall buildings in a single bound.

Spiel: Leaps tall buildings with mechanical assistance and software guidance systems which he designed and coded himself.

WoWInterface Staff: Makes very high marks on buildings while attempting to leap them.

NUI Users: Are smart enough to know they should just use nUI and leave the leaping of buildings to the superheroes.

Kailef: Works in a building.

Curse.com Staff: Recognizes that he is looking at a building 25 percent of the time.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement