03-17-11, 07:37 AM   #1
Tiyoweh
A Defias Bandit
Exclamation Blinking Mapps

Hi there,

hope someone can and will help.
I installed the new patch for carbonite and now the map starts to blink when i mouse over an area where i'm not in.
For example, when i'm in Stormwind and keep the mouse cursor on SW everything is fine. When i mouse over another city/land everything starts to blink, that is pretty annoying. tried everything but still can't find it...

Hope somebody know what to do.

thx

( saw that there is a post about blinking but that seems to be another error )

03-17-11, 08:30 AM   #2
ShadowProwler420
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Does it actually 'blink'? Or does it simply put a darkened overlay across the map (sort of like a 'fog of war' effect)? If it is the latter, I believe that is how it is supposed to work.

03-17-11, 12:17 PM   #3
Tiyoweh
A Defias Bandit
it really "blinks" .
only when i mouse over the land where i am, it won't.
As soon as i "cross the border" it starts to blink again. I'm really reconsidrin to go back to the original minimap, to bad tho because Carbonite is one hell of an addon

03-17-11, 08:04 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Try this: From the "AddOns" window on the character selection screen disable (but, do not use the "Disable All" option unless you feel like setting up all your addons on all of your characters again. "Disable All" literally means it will disable all addons for all characters) all addons EXCEPT Carbonite and see if the problem persists. If it does, running Carbonite as the only enabled addon, then the problem is with Carbonite. If it does not continue, then it is a conflict between Carbonite and another addon. In that case, start enabling your addons in small groups, and when the problem starts again go back and disable the last group you enabled. Start to enable them one at a time until the problem reappears and that should be the addon that is conflicting with Carbonite.

Now, back to if the problem continues with Carbonite as the only enabled addon: Completely exit WoW and go to your "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\" folder and either rename or delete the "Carbonite.lua" and "Carbonite.lua.bak" files. BE AWARE that this action will completely reset your installation of Carbonite for ALL of your characters. It will look and act as if you just installed it for the first time. This is because those two files hold Carbonites set up information for all of your characters.

03-20-11, 10:43 PM   #5
[email protected]
A Murloc Raider
I just debugged this myself....

the add on Tomtom will cause the map to flash in dungeons and when looking at zones outside of the zone you are in.

It is linked to Tomtom.

PLEASE GET THE WORD OUT!

03-21-11, 08:08 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just debugged this myself....

the add on Tomtom will cause the map to flash in dungeons and when looking at zones outside of the zone you are in.

It is linked to Tomtom.

PLEASE GET THE WORD OUT!
I sometimes wonder why there is a Carbonite FAQ page. From the FAQ:
Replaces (these may conflict with Carbonite features)
Quest Helper
TomTom
Just for future reference, Carbonite actually contains a TomTom emulator.

03-21-11, 08:43 AM   #7
Yelina
An Aku'mai Servant
Hehehe. I was wondering too why someone uses TomTom while having the option in Carbonite itself.
Thats asking for problems

03-21-11, 09:03 AM   #8
AnthonyK
WTF

Arrow

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
I sometimes wonder why there is a Carbonite FAQ page.
Read a FAQ or manual? ZOMG! What drugs are you on? I mean to think someone would actually read a manual or FAQ these days in utter nonsense! LoL!!

So, the lesson learned here people...

RTFM! (Read the F'n Manual)

03-22-11, 06:44 AM   #9
fosley
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Just for future reference, Carbonite actually contains a TomTom emulator.
I also have the flicker, as well as TomTom, which I must have misread and thought was Carbonite's TomTom, but I do have a couple other addons that need TomTom.

To clarify, does this mean I can disable TomTom and then any addons that relied on TomTom will now work through Carbonite automagically? Or do I have to point them at Carbonite somehow?

Whenever the servers come back up--or more likely, when I finish school and hopefully get a fuel pump in my car--I'll try disabling TomTom and see if anything else breaks.

Either way, thanks to Gabe and Kate for the pointer, and Jeffy for the FAQ link. This was beginning to really annoy me, so I came on expecting a bunch of trouble finding the answer, then you guys handed me all kinds of stuff already researched. What's weird is that it only started when I downloaded the newest version of Carbonite, even though I've had TomTom since last year.

03-22-11, 09:37 AM   #10
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I, personally, have absolutely no idea if disabling TomTom will break your other addons. I just know that Carbonite contains a TomTom emulator. All I can say is: Try disabling TomTom and see what happens.

Just a thought, but if you have Blizzards zone (sometimes referred to as the "battleground") map open, try closing it and see how things go. I know there was a bug about that.

EDIT: While I was playing today, I decided to level my Archaeology a little. I use Archy bugfix for that, and it has an option to send way-points to TomTom. I think I have that checked (I just tried to log in but there is a problem with the authentication servers), because Carbonite sends me to the nearest archaeology site, or any site I click on in the "Archy" available sites window, and I don't have TomTom installed. That's the only reason I can think of that Carbonite would do that, so, here's hoping disabling TomTom doesn't break your other addons. /END EDIT

Last edited by jeffy162 : 03-22-11 at 07:07 PM.

03-27-11, 07:49 AM   #11
cheriea99
A Murloc Raider
Stop the flickering insanity.. disable Tom Tom

Ok so say I disable Tom Tom, and it works (it probably will), does Carbonite have a way of me plugging in coords so I can follow the arrow when I'm looking for a location by coords? For example w/Tom Tom I can simply type in my chat window '/way 62.5 45', and it will produce an arrow, and tick away at the distance until I've arrived at the desired location. Carbonite may have the feature, but if it does I didn't know it exists, and I surely do not know how to use it.

UPDATE: Disabling Tom Tom MAY fix the issue. For me it was disabling Tom Tom, AND Map Notes. The suggestion jeffy162 made about disabling your addons, and then going down the list of addons enabling them one by one is the best way to figure out which one is causing the flickering. Thanks Jeffy162 for posting that. But sadly, I now have no way to plug in a set of coords if I've gotten some from wowhead or thottbot on a specific location. Anyone out there have a suggestion on an addon that does work like Tom Tom, but doesn't cause issues w/Carbonite?

Last edited by cheriea99 : 03-27-11 at 08:24 AM.

03-27-11, 12:35 PM   #12
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yes, there is a way to input coordinates directly for Carbonite. If the coordinates are known, open your chat prompt and enter "/carb goto X,Y" (without the quotes, of course).

However, there seems to be (at least in my testing there was) one caveat to using this method: You can't use it while in a major (capitol?) city. All I got while testing it in Orgrimmar was another location inside Orgrimmar, but the coordinates I was inputting were just outside of Sen'Jin Village. Go outside of Orgrimmar, and it worked perfectly.

I found this in an old post (Here), but the same thread mentioned that it is in the "CarboniteReadMe" text file that is in the main Carbonite folder in every installation of Carbonite. I highly suggest any Carbonite user reads that file anyway.

Another post mentioned that you can also just type "/carb" in chat to get a list of Carbonite commands.

EDIT: Oh, and Carbonite does have a built-in notes system that is available to all of your characters on whichever realm you are playing on. IE: Make a note on the Carbonite map while on character "A", and when you get on character "B" that note can still be seen/read by that character. /EDIT

Last edited by jeffy162 : 03-27-11 at 12:46 PM. Reason: More infirmation.

03-28-11, 06:27 AM   #13
Chmee
A Molten Giant
/carb goto durotar x,y where x,y are the coords of your point outside senjin village, should give you the right spot when you're in Orgimmar.

Keep in mind that the major cities are zones in themselves, separate from the zones they're in.

03-28-11, 01:42 PM   #14
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Y'know, I just plain forgot about that. Thank you, Chmee, for reminding me and for clearing that up.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Blinking Mapps