08-05-09, 05:56 PM   #1
Vaest
A Murloc Raider
Pretty disappointed...

So, back in the day I used Wowmatrix, simply because it was the easiest way to update my addons. One day it stopped working, and i read about how evil it was and how Curse and WowInterface has killed it. I whole-heartedly agree with blocking Wowmatrix, if I had known what they were doing, I would not have used it. Wowmatrix did almost everything wrong, and I never will use it again.

However, they did do somethings right. Mostly, having a super easy way to update all/most of a user's addons.

When I heard about the new mmoui minion thingy i was excited. Curse has most the addons I use, and WowInterface has almost all the rest, and the tabs/modules thing means it could potentially work for all addons/sites, but it's taken you several months to finally get to this point, but its pretty disappointing. (as I understand it, Curse was moving to block Wowmatrix, and you had to as well, and couldn't wait till minion was done)

My major complaint is that minion no concept of version numbers.

For example (i picked this cause its on the top of my addon list):
My currently installed AdvancedTradeSkillWindow (via the CurseClient) is 0.7.6 which is the latest as far as I can tell. WowInterface (at the time of writing) says 0.7.5 is the latest, and MMOUI minion wants to install the older version. This was one that people who hated Wowmatrix argued, that Wowmatrix installed old versions of addons and authors will get complaints about broken addons from users claiming they have the latest when they don't. I understand and respect that you guys are actually doing it legally/morally whatever, but at least add some basic math that can figure out "hmm, they have 0.7.6, we have 0.7.5, we should probably leave it alone".

Essentially, this breaks the whole program, as I can't use the "update all" and I have to manually check Curse first before updating every addon in minion

Also, another suggestion: I dislike the color choices. "Addon not available" should NOT be red, as red "catches people's attention, and is often used either in a negative way to indicate danger and emergency" (wikipedia), when in minion it simply means that addon is not on your site. This seems a little... evil to me, as it conveys that addons that aren't on your site are bad/red. Change the message to something more neutral like: "Addon not recognized. (More info...)" and have a link explaining that addon is not on your site, so it can't be managed with minion. Then, the "Current [Version ...]" should be changed to a light green. (Because green indicates good, in case you didn't know). And when an update is available it should say "Version 1.1 is available, you have 1.0" This is more informative to users, and it would make the whole "Minion has no concept of math/numbers/versioning" glitch slightly more manageable.

Sorry for the wall of text, and sorry for being negative, but I feel if you are going to write software that ensures you have the latest version of an addon, it should at least understand version numbers and not revert you to an older version.

Regards, Vaest
08-05-09, 05:58 PM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Give me an algorithm to correctly identify what is a "later version" and I will be glad to implement it. It's not as easy as you think.

That being said, there are plans to do this as much as possible in a future release.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
08-05-09, 06:04 PM   #3
reg0ner
A Murloc Raider
give us a way to see current versions when theres an update available i guess.
08-05-09, 06:08 PM   #4
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
That is already planned. I'm talking about an automatic solution.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

/(bb|[^b]{2})/
08-05-09, 06:23 PM   #5
Vaest
A Murloc Raider
I imagine that the following versioning systems cover 95%+ of addons
  • (major).(minor).(etc).(etc)
    /(\d+)\.(\d+)\.(\d+)\.(\d+)/ (only does 4 numbers, i forget the syntax for repeated subpatterns.) Then just compare match 1 on both strings, match 2 on both strings, etc
  • r(revision number) (subversion, etc)
    /r\d+/ would match a revision number
  • and some kind of date string, 20090805 or such
    If they use a standard version date string (YYYYMMDD) it could be treated the same as a revision, the greater the number, the newer it is. Other date formats are also trivial with regex.

the only other concerns are words like "stable", "beta (or b)", release, etc. which i can't imagine are hard either.
08-05-09, 06:29 PM   #6
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Vaest View Post
the only other concerns are words like "stable", "beta (or b)", release, etc. which i can't imagine are hard either.
Again, you are trivializing a problem that is not trivial. This issue is much more complicated than you would think. There are a million ways people say "beta" or "release," including sticking "r" in random places (which you already assumed to be "revision").

How about foxlit's "Delta 4" version?

Code:
## Interface: 30100
## Title: OPie
## Notes: 1. Bind infrequent actions to rings. 2. ??? 3. Eat pie.
## Author: foxlit
## SavedVariables: OneRing_Config, OPie_Locale
## OptionalDeps: ButtonFacade
## X-Version-Name-Wrath: Delta 4
## X-Update-FeedURL: http://www.go-hero.net/opie/rss/stable
## X-Update-FeedURL-Beta: http://www.go-hero.net/opie/rss/beta
## X-Website: http://www.go-hero.net/opie/
## X-API-Docs: http://www.go-hero.net/opie/api
EventLib.lua
OneRingLib.lua
OneRingIndication.lua
OneRingLocale.lua
OPieConfig.lua
OPieBindings.lua
Meta\StanceBar.lua
Meta\RingKeeper.lua
Meta\RingKeeperConfig.lua
Meta\RingKeeperShare.lua
Rings\Common.lua
Rings\RKRings.lua
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

/(bb|[^b]{2})/

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Pretty disappointed...