AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Yeah the name of the fubar plugin is Fubar_PerformanceFu

You can get it Here
11-09-07, 09:33 AM   #22
Slakah
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Anomaly25
The only thing I don't get is that it never seemed to be a problem before, I've been using recount for quite some time. I'd disable atlas loot and all would be fine in raid. Recently I messed around with my UI but the only new things I added was bartender 3, the bongos 2 stats module, cycircled, and omni cc. I added them all at the same time and now everything is getting antsy :/

Why not use Bongos 2 instead of Bartender 3?
11-09-07, 10:19 AM   #23
Loomyth
A Fallenroot Satyr
"Let me guess:

1) You run embeded.
2) You did make any effort to look at the forums to see what the deal was.
3) You didn't bother to look at http://wiki.wowace.com/index.php/Ace2_Memory_Concerns

Assuming #1, its because it is alphabetically the first addon and will reflect memory consumption of the entire Ace2 libraries."

quoted out of wowace forum this answer seems the right one for your issue.

check the link for detailed information.

this one might also interest you:

http://www.wowace.com/wiki/WowAceUpd...StandaloneLibs

if you dont have any performance problems dont worry about memory usage.

imho Seerah is right.
11-09-07, 10:21 AM   #24
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Mods and memory usage do not always have an effect on your fps. It depends on what mods are doing what, and what cycles they're going through. (Unless your memory usage is so high that it's a load on your system.) It's possibly recount or another mod that does a lot of work during raids. Also, check your graphics settings. Everything in there that affects framerate says so in its tooltip. For some reason, a lot of people don't try there first for frame rate issues, and more don't think to look at those tooltips.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-10-07, 10:33 AM   #25
Beladona
A Molten Giant

I keep seeing people mention that this is normal since you run with embedded libraries, but I haven't seen anyone mention the alternative to running it embedded.

You can in fact download and run Ace2 as a separate addon/library. It would basically load all of the libraries themselves, and your addon list would show them as their own independant entry. This would also be the case for the memory consumption list. Might be an option if you really wanted to segregate the memory usage more accurately and see how much of it is Ace, and how much of it is Bartender itself (or other addons)

Honestly, once you get over 40 to 50% of your addons being built with Ace, it might be smarter to run Ace2 non-embedded anyway. Makes more sense to me from a code standpoint and a debug/testing standpoint. The downside being you have to update the library separately as if it was an addon itself. If you don't update it, and another addon updates with newer embedded, you are right back at square one as if you didn't have Ace non-embedded. The addon that loaded the newer version will overwrite the Ace library install, and that addon will show the memory consumption again...

And actually, I believe you can select not to download embeds with each addon with the ace updater (correct me if I am wrong). This would basically download the addon without any of the embedded libraries, assuming you have Ace already being downloaded and updated. Check out http://wiki.wowace.com/index.php/Ace2_Memory_Concerns as previously linked, and the last section briefly explains how this works.

Last edited by Beladona : 11-10-07 at 10:41 AM.
11-10-07, 10:50 AM   #26
Beladona
A Molten Giant

On a side note, it was mentioned that any data collecting mods will eat memory. This is true to some degree, but where do you draw the line? When I develop an addon one of my debug passes involves memory usage, and data growth. If my addon continually increases in memory usage each time it collects data I look for ways to optimize it. You can't always get rid of that growth, but you can minimize it. In my experience it all goes back to HOW the data is being stored. For instance storing data into variables that don't get reclaimed by garbage collection is a bad thing. Always use locals where possible, and ONLY store the bare minimum of what you need into globals. Global data doesn't get reclaimed so using it excessively will cause memory usage to spike with little to no decrease.

If you are really concerned I would post in the forums about the memory usage, and see if the author is willing to look into it. It doesn't hurt to suggest, but make sure you come across the right way. It is a suggestion/request after all, and the author owes you nothing to do what you ask.

On a side note, the fact that your memory goes up when you enter cities of areas with combat or whatever would suggest it does in fact have to do with data collection of combat log type material. Any developer who has every done a RegisterAllEvents and monitored it in chat output will know that those areas have lots of events being generated, and any addon that registers for certain events (like CHAT_MSG type events) will get a lot of hits the minute you enter any location that has people doing things that output to your log. Depending on how they were coded, and if they try to parse that data, you will see a little or a lot of data being generated in those areas.
11-10-07, 10:56 AM   #27
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

ok its been a long tome coming.. anyone that complains about lag, memory leaks and all the problems with wow use Ace.. you think about it.
11-10-07, 11:00 AM   #28
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I think that's an over-generalization, based on your observation of people not understanding how/why things work.

Anyway, read this: http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=8542.0
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Bartender 3 using 20mb + of memory? o.0