11-19-08, 04:19 PM   #1
Mostrarskegg
A Fallenroot Satyr
What about This Idea?

While I have tried a couple of the clones, the skin and portraits and layout seems to be what keep me drawn to mazzle.

Is there a way in the interim to get the layout to work? I don't mind configuring a bunch of things manually.

Swap out and strip down alot of things to get just the core items working. Those being the following.

1. Skin and Layout. Get the map in the middle, the three chatboxes on the bottom, and the basic layout of the bottom somewhat in order.

2. Portraits. Get the player portrait back on the left, and the target portrait above the calendar. The hotspots around the target cave working and loading with no lag.

3. Hud. Everyone will agree the HUD is second to none. I would like that to work as well.

4. Group and Raid Layouts. If the 5 man layout with the portiraits could at least work, this would make grouping go for now, while we are still levelling to 80.

These 4 basic things would be an excellent start. I think pretty much everything else I could manually configure. Using and configuring Bartender 4 for the bars, getting prat and hitsmode to work with the little chat windows, autobar and trinket menu and status windows could be manually set up as well. After that it's just a matter of loading a few addons for your personal questing, levelling, and raiding pleasure.

What are the possibilities of getting this working for now?

I know the mazzifier is awesome, but I'd be willing to try and configure a bunch of stuff if this very basic core could be made to work.

Thanks.
11-22-08, 12:02 AM   #2
Talonclaw
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I can live without having the party/raid thing working, since thats fairly easy to do by yourself with raid addons. However, getting the auto placement/binding of spells/skills based on class would be high on my list. One of the best mazzle features IMO, especially when trying out a new class, or playing a new spec for a hybrid class.
11-22-08, 08:46 AM   #3
Mostrarskegg
A Fallenroot Satyr
Yes, but we cal lall agree that is the biggest hurdle thus far in getting it working.
I was suggesting skip the mazzifier and get the layout and the core elements working. Users can manually configure their bars /bt is really easy, and key bindings too.

Anyways, it was just a suggestion.
11-25-08, 02:11 PM   #4
Molagmal
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I don't agree, I think Mazzlefier is one of the most important parts of this UI. personally (and I know I'm not the only one) I took this UI a long long time ago because if the easyness of setting it up, ofcourse there are meny other very good reasons to take this UI over others but Mazzlefier is what makes this UI special and so popular.
11-25-08, 03:37 PM   #5
Talonclaw
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Exactly! I can download all the mods used in Mazzle (minus the ones that mazzle made himself) and set them up to work in ALMOST the same way. But that takes a huge amount of effort. I loved the fact that I didn't need to setup everything for EVERY toon I play on. It was a few clicks and POOF, there it all is, set up perfectly. I've tried out several of the "clones" and have reverted back to my own cobbled together temp UI because they were simply too complicated to get setup and working how I wanted them to. Not to knock the rest of MazzleUI, but the mazzifier is its single best part IMO.
11-25-08, 04:01 PM   #6
sora420
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Talonclaw View Post
Exactly! I can download all the mods used in Mazzle (minus the ones that mazzle made himself) and set them up to work in ALMOST the same way. But that takes a huge amount of effort. I loved the fact that I didn't need to setup everything for EVERY toon I play on. It was a few clicks and POOF, there it all is, set up perfectly. I've tried out several of the "clones" and have reverted back to my own cobbled together temp UI because they were simply too complicated to get setup and working how I wanted them to. Not to knock the rest of MazzleUI, but the mazzifier is its single best part IMO.
it doesnt take all that long, get one of the mazzle clones like freshui tweak around with it for about 4-6 hours @ best then update all the addons with wowmatrix, end result.make a backup of the wtf and interface folders from wow and wolla, if a patch then comes out its just a matter of updating addons and replaceing ones that dont work anymore, imo stop being so lazy, mazzle is gone for now and i personally dont see it coming back.

all credit to the guys who kept mazzleui alive after mazzle himself quit wow and slowly decreased his interest in it, i think mazzleui has had its day guys

on with the new :P (unless mazzle comes back to wow ofc )
11-25-08, 05:09 PM   #7
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by sora420 View Post
... then update all the addons with wowmatrix ...
Please read this post concerning wowmatrix.

And I agree, stop being lazy
Just download a Mazzle look-a-like and edit that, or build one yourself if you love it that much. Building a UI really is not as hard as it seems, it just requires a bit of time, but heck, most of the time goes into thinking how you want your UI to be ... recreating an existing UI takes almost no time at all.
11-25-08, 05:43 PM   #8
Talonclaw
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
For some of us, its not a "lazy" thing, its an efficient use of our time thing. I don't have "4-6 hours" to spend setting up my UI. When I play WoW, i've usually got a few hours, late at night before I go to bed. I'm a student, and I work, and I'm married. WoW unfortunately often takes a back seat, and I don't want to spend what little time I have to play setting up a bunch of mods.

Also, I guarantee not everybody that uses mazzle has much clue as to how addons work, nor how to configure them. Mazzle put a huge amount of time into getting MazzleUI working, getting all the addons configured and working with each other in an elegant way. Many people wouldn't have the first clue where to start. So yea, you can tell people to stop being lazy all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that there is no way that most of us would ever get our own comp to nearly the level of mazzle.

Finally, its not about having a mazzle "look-a-like". If you read my original post, I said that I've tried a mazzle look-a-like (in fact two now) and neither of them had the same functionality. Yes I like how mazzle looks, but more than that I like how it WORKS. And right now, the look-a-likes don't WORK the same (yet, they may in future if their authors keep working on them). I give the people working on those look-a-likes credit, they've done a good job, but sorry, they aren't Mazzle, and I doubt they ever will be.

So, forgive me for giving my opinion - the most important part for ME to have working again is the mazzifier, and I know that I'm not alone in this.
11-25-08, 05:56 PM   #9
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

That's why I said "take a look-a-like and edit it", meaning that you make sure it does suit your tastes.

And not knowing how something works is a bad excuse with the incredible amount of sources available on the internet. Heck, none of us had a clue what we were doing the very first time. I'd call it a learning process, but learning how to set up the average addon takes about 10 minutes max. (not how I say "the average addon", this does not mean EVERY addon)

So basically what I'm getting to is ... you can wait around with a broken addon as long as you want, but it's not going to improve the situation. Alternatively, you can throw something together yourself, and just move on. Mazzle isn't coming back for now, and you'll just have to live with that.
11-25-08, 07:16 PM   #10
Talonclaw
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I've tried out several of the "clones" and have reverted back to my own cobbled together temp UI
I don't know how else to say it. I've done my own UI, i like Mazzle better, and what I would like to see fixed MOST is mazzification. I know lots of others would like the same....is that a problem? I realize mazzle isn't coming back to WoW and probably won't be working on this much (if at all) anymore, but there are others working, and I don't think its a horrible thing for people to let them know what they think is the most important part of this UI to get working again.
11-26-08, 08:47 AM   #11
sora420
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Talonclaw View Post
I don't know how else to say it. I've done my own UI, i like Mazzle better, and what I would like to see fixed MOST is mazzification. I know lots of others would like the same....is that a problem? I realize mazzle isn't coming back to WoW and probably won't be working on this much (if at all) anymore, but there are others working, and I don't think its a horrible thing for people to let them know what they think is the most important part of this UI to get working again.
dude it is a problem obviously it is a problem to fix the mazzlfication "hence" go sort one out yourself, and dont give me the whole im married work goto college speech, its not going to fly..

i goto college full time, work afterwards and also attend night courses to improve my college education, i still easily can make time to fix it to my taste

as for the not all of us know how to use addons etc, thats crap. get freshui for example, it comes with a readme file it takes @ max 5 minutes and im being very generious in saying that, after you follow readme you now have a 90% clone of mazzle.

like i said stop being lazy, mazzle is dead for now, if it comes back wonderful, but why depend on it so much? its old out of date and mazzle himself has stopped, also he refuses to give out the source for mazzle, so this means it will never be the mazzle it once was no matter who trys to fix it

the end

my screen as it looks right now useing freshui

11-26-08, 10:55 AM   #12
Molagmal
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I think that in all the talk after my post my second point got lost. if mazzlefier is removed, what is there to make this UI special, what will make it stand out betwean all those other UIs out there? there are some other good functions that mazzle has like the Hotspots for instance but those are already being copyed by other UIs aswell.
11-26-08, 01:21 PM   #13
sora420
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Molagmal View Post
I think that in all the talk after my post my second point got lost. if mazzlefier is removed, what is there to make this UI special, what will make it stand out betwean all those other UIs out there? there are some other good functions that mazzle has like the Hotspots for instance but those are already being copyed by other UIs aswell.
it has the same look/feel as mazzle.. i dont know about you but once i mazzlfy my UI with mazzle thats it i dont do it again for another few months, do you sit there and mazzlfy all day long as you try play wow?
11-26-08, 02:23 PM   #14
Mostrarskegg
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
Please read this post concerning wowmatrix.

And I agree, stop being lazy
Just download a Mazzle look-a-like and edit that, or build one yourself if you love it that much. Building a UI really is not as hard as it seems, it just requires a bit of time, but heck, most of the time goes into thinking how you want your UI to be ... recreating an existing UI takes almost no time at all.

Okay, I'm tired of being referred to that post everytime someone mentions wowmatrix.

If you have ever used it you will know that it takes you directly to the authors download page. It directly shows you the authors name, as well as the authors discription of the addon. Wowmatrix does not make money anywhere. It does not charge you, and it's handier than pockets in your underwear for finding addons. Stop being a lemming.
11-26-08, 02:27 PM   #15
Mostrarskegg
A Fallenroot Satyr
What I suggested was the screen layout and some of the core files and addons to get working again. If it takes you 4 to 6 hours to bartender to set your bars and keybindings, you are definately doing something wrong. I can easily live without the mazzifier until last. I just would like the hud, the cave, the raid layouts, the animated portraits, and the overall layout with the chat windows working nicely together. It was only a suggestion to get some of us with a nice functional ui again. I really like the mazzifier for my alts while levelling, but I'm getting my main to 80 now so it's moot.
11-26-08, 03:48 PM   #16
Molagmal
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
it has the same look/feel as mazzle.. i dont know about you but once i mazzlfy my UI with mazzle thats it i dont do it again for another few months, do you sit there and mazzlfy all day long as you try play wow?

ok, my fault, I obviusly did not state my point clearly. I'll try again.
you see Sora, it is not about how often you use Mazzlefier it is about making Mazzle stand out among the other UIs and making things easyer.

Sora, do try to be a little less aggressive in making an arugument, it often works a lot better when you are trying to get your point across

@ Mostrarskegg, good point, if it takes very long to get Mazzlefier working leave it till last. I just hope Mazzlefier won't be done with completly

Last edited by Molagmal : 11-26-08 at 03:51 PM.
11-26-08, 06:40 PM   #17
sora420
An Aku'mai Servant
ok, my fault, I obviusly did not state my point clearly. I'll try again.
you see Sora, it is not about how often you use Mazzlefier it is about making Mazzle stand out among the other UIs and making things easyer.

Sora, do try to be a little less aggressive in making an arugument, it often works a lot better when you are trying to get your point across

@ Mostrarskegg, good point, if it takes very long to get Mazzlefier working leave it till last. I just hope Mazzlefier won't be done with completly
sorry i wasnt trying to come across as being aggresive and im not trying to have an argument, my point was freshui does the job nicely, i see very little difference in it and mazzle.
only reason im trying to make the point of leaving mazzle for now is that mazzle wont give the source code out which is of course fine but it leaves the rest of the devs suffering

as for the 4-6 hours to Mostrarskegg i guess i did come across wrong with that statement lol, i ment getting all dom bars/spells/autobar etc all set up nicely for all my alts(which is alot of them) but what i dont understand is mostly all the stuff your asking for is in freshui, cant you just tweak it from there? maybe im missing something, im not a dev nor have any experience in that field

silly question but i havent raided at all since wotlk ive been busy lvling up my main and alt's, is the raid frames not working with the mazzle clones like freshui? just curious because some people are wanting mazzleui so badly im guessing something must not be working with these other clones, apart from raid end of things mine is working 100% now.

Last edited by sora420 : 11-26-08 at 06:46 PM.
11-28-08, 02:05 AM   #18
Talonclaw
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
This is what I should have been saying. Mazzifier is what made mazzle different. Its not just about look and feel, its about ease of use, functionality, the ability to change what mods are turned on/off, and determine how they work all from a nice, convenient interface. People have already copied how mazzle looks (you advocate freshUI, and it does look almost exactly like mazzle did) and if thats all people were looking for, then everybody who used mazzle would already be using it.
12-22-08, 05:13 PM   #19
ibnuts
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
dude it is a problem obviously it is a problem to fix the mazzlfication "hence" go sort one out yourself, and dont give me the whole im married work goto college speech, its not going to fly..

i goto college full time, work afterwards and also attend night courses to improve my college education, i still easily can make time to fix it to my taste

as for the not all of us know how to use addons etc, thats crap. get freshui for example, it comes with a readme file it takes @ max 5 minutes and im being very generious in saying that, after you follow readme you now have a 90% clone of mazzle.

like i said stop being lazy, mazzle is dead for now, if it comes back wonderful, but why depend on it so much? its old out of date and mazzle himself has stopped, also he refuses to give out the source for mazzle, so this means it will never be the mazzle it once was no matter who trys to fix it

the end

my screen as it looks right now useing freshui

Sorry to revive an old thread, but Talonclaw has a point, and you can't judge anyone else's schedule based on your own. You say you take "night classes to improve your college education." Most likely that means you go to community college, in which case you really can't compare it to a 4-yr college. My wife was taking 16 hours online from a community college and getting straight A's with 3 hours per day of actual work. I took 18 hours last semester while getting nearly straight A's, and barely had time for anything else. So you may be happy with C's, or may be doing auto repair, but for someone like myself who is doing biochemistry and is not happy with C's (or is at a 4-yr school), we may not have all the free time you do. You're also not married, from the sounds of it, and probably live at home with mommy and daddy. Running a household takes up a lot of one's time.

I haven't played WoW since I posted in the 'Mazzle for V3.0.3 to WOTLK?' thread 2 months ago because I can't be bothered to spend all that time configuring WoW. During the amount of time it takes me to set it up for each character (up to 5-6 hours with keybindings, macros etc.), I can read an entire book. As I said in that thread, I don't see this thing ever getting done (I said that 2 months ago and it still hasn't) and I'd be happy to pay to have Mazzle code. Based on Talonclaw's comments, I don't think I'm the only one who's amenable to that. Unfortunately, we've never been offered the option.

Last edited by ibnuts : 12-22-08 at 05:16 PM.
12-22-08, 07:40 PM   #20
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Mostrarskegg View Post
Okay, I'm tired of being referred to that post everytime someone mentions wowmatrix.
If you have ever used it you will know that it takes you directly to the authors download page.
Not on their web site they don't. NO links there. AND to get DIRECTLY taken to the addon page you need to right click it. Yeah that's pretty direct. If you click the Update All button does it open a bunch of web pages for you?? NO .. then it is not direct.

It directly shows you the authors name, as well as the authors discription of the addon.
No author names on website. Author name of addon is in the little window at the bottom .. big whoop.

Wowmatrix does not make money anywhere. It does not charge you, and it's handier than pockets in your underwear for finding addons. Stop being a lemming.
And it does make money .. from gold selling sites like the ones in the top bar of the updater. PLUS it takes VERY VALUABLE money away from this great site through ad dollars. But I'm sure you use an ad blocked and don't give a rats ass anyway. If you did care you would not use it and actually support the sites like this and disable ANY ad blocking devices .. like auto updaters that steal bandwidth from sites like this.

All in all this addon is bad. It steals bandwidth, prevents another sites ad revenue while making its own, give barely any credit (if any at all) to ad on authors, doen not ask permission to do NAY of this, is hard to get one of your addons removed from his listings, and many other things.

I like the idea of a no frills auto updater that grabs from all sites as much as any other person ... but I decided to use the FAVORITES features of each of the sites I visit for my addon addiction. Check the new and updated lists daily and read about the addons I use .. all while giving WoWI and Curse the ad money they deserve and NEED to keep running a HIGH bandwidth site.

But you are free to your opinion and free to do and use what you want.

Sorry to go off topic but I had to voice my opinion on this too...

Last edited by Sepioth : 12-22-08 at 07:43 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » What about This Idea?