02-24-13, 07:03 PM   #1
darrenv80
A Kobold Labourer
Carbonite Fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carbonite isnt working, my map wont work and doesnt show where quests can be completed. it has totally failed. Since the update yesterday i am unable to use carbonite at all.

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-24-13, 07:33 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I have moved your post to the Carbonite section of the forums.

Since you mention an update from yesterday, I assume you are using the beta version and not the tried-and-tested release version? (It's always good to mention these things so no one has to assume what version you have.) Since the beta version is for 5.2, it has a TOC number of 50200. The current WoW client looks for a TOC number of 50100 (for 5.1). Since yours doesn't match, it's marked as "Out of Date". Did you check "Load Out Of Date AddOns" in your addon menu at the character select screen?

Or is it that Carbonite *is* loading but is giving you errors? (Make sure Lua errors aren't hidden in your Interface Options.) In this case, what errors are you getting.

For future reference, when reporting a bug, this is the pertinent information to give:
1. the version of the addon
2. the version of WoW you are trying it with
3. any errors you are getting - and/or - any other detailed and precise information on what is happening

As an extra note, please refrain from using more than three exclamation points in your post.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-24-13, 10:50 PM   #3
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Great post Seerah!

Like Seerah says above, try to give as much information as possible when posting that you have a problem..

You'll often find a lot of helpful members here at WoWI.

I gotta say that this is one of the more friendly places on the interwebz.

02-25-13, 02:47 AM   #4
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What the heck is wrong the the OP? Get your **** together.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

02-26-13, 01:18 AM   #5
michiarr
A Defias Bandit
I -think- I'm having the same problem, but it's hard for me to tell.

I did, in fact, accidentally install the new test version (5.2.1) using the WowMatrix program. I saw there was an update for it and just went with it without reading. Then I logged merrily into WoW 5.1. I immediately noticed my carb minimap was missing as well as my quest module. I figured I needed to redo all of my settings - no big deal. I right clicked the carb icon it to pull up the carb menu and nothing happened. I tried to pull up the menu from chat and nothing happened either. I then tried to pull up the Blizz map, which didn't work, nearly sending me into a mapless panic.

I logged back out and disabled carb (which was not showing up as out of date). This made the Blizz map work again. Then I went searching the internet and realized that I had installed the new unstable release. I uninstalled it and reinstalled 5.1.2, assuming this would fix everything. I didn't do anything at all. I disabled all of my other addons and tried carb, but still the same as above. I also tried installing even older versions of carb, with the exact same results. I noticed that I'm also no longer getting the carbonite load message when I sign in. I seem to have rendered carbonite completely useless, and it makes me sad.

Ideas?

02-26-13, 01:52 AM   #6
10leej
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by michiarr View Post
Ideas?
Roll back to the previous version then when patch 5.2 the newest version will work. Carbonite beta is built for ptr not live servers right now.

02-26-13, 02:37 AM   #7
michiarr
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
Roll back to the previous version then when patch 5.2 the newest version will work. Carbonite beta is built for ptr not live servers right now.
Uninstalled and then installed 5.1.1, updated to 5.1.2. No change.

02-26-13, 04:23 AM   #8
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

1. Why are you using WoWMatrix? The community has shunned it for its horrid behaviour towards both users and AddOn authors.
  2. Better question is why is Carbonite (or any other AddOn, for that matter) even on WM? Rythal, I highly suggest you kick them in the behind and ditch them to the curb. Assuming they are not outright stealing AddOns again...

02-26-13, 05:15 AM   #9
michiarr
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
  1. Why are you using WoWMatrix? The community has shunned it for its horrid behaviour towards both users and AddOn authors.
  2. Better question is why is Carbonite (or any other AddOn, for that matter) even on WM? Rythal, I highly suggest you kick them in the behind and ditch them to the curb. Assuming they are not outright stealing AddOns again...
I figured it out AND switched to the Curse Client for my addon needs. I'll blame WowMatrix for carbonite exploding on me. Acceptable?

To solve the weird problem I went into the WTF folder and tracked down the SavedVariables folders and deleted all of the carbonite.lua and carbonite.lua.bak files. It reset the settings of the addon and everything is back to normal. I just have to reconfigure everything again.

Hopefully the OP will see this and not feel the need to use so many exclamation points next time.

02-26-13, 05:41 AM   #10
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
they are, I've never submitted anything to wowmatrix, let alone the beta version.

02-27-13, 02:51 AM   #11
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
they are, I've never submitted anything to wowmatrix, let alone the beta version.
What is the current license for Carbonite? If it is open source, freeware, or something similar, that might be why WM has Carbonite. Since Carbonite2 is your own creation, I humbly suggest you make it Copyright 2013 yourself (hey, you rewrote or created a huge chunk) All Rights Reserved.

@michiarr: Good news about switching. I think Rythal has removed Carbonite's latest alpha/beta from Curse because of bugs and testing, and that is fine. When Carbonite2 hits, or Carbonite has a release-quality, Rythal will put it/them back on Curse. You can get the latest release version from Curse. Bleeding edge Carbonite is here on WoWI.

02-27-13, 01:09 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
*nod* It's easier to give permissions than to take them away.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-28-13, 04:32 PM   #13
antiquada
A Fallenroot Satyr
Wowmatrix

Writing from an end user viewpoint,

I find Wowmatrix to be the best addon updater I have ever used. I've been playing for over 6 years and have used Wowmatrix since it came out. It's quick, nonintrusive, and just plain works. And that's really all I car about.
I have also used Wowmatrix to donate money to many addons through Wowmatrixes donate popup. Addons like DBM, Armory, Soulspeak, Auctioneer, ad nauseum. I know the donations are going to the addon authors as Wowmatrixes popup just sends me to paypal and paypal takes care of the rest.

I refuse to install the wowinterface and the free curse client just to do what Wowmatrix does, and have to go through both programs each time I log in.

When the free curse client came out I compared it to Wowmatrix and found that it was telling me to install out of date versions of addons that Wowmatrix had already updated. Or it didn't have any data for some of my addon's. I thought maybe that was curses way of getting me to pay for their supposedly better client. I am not going to pay a monthly fee to update addons.

Someone posted an article from 2009 about WowMatrix and it's deficiencies. Don't you think the four year old issues in that should be reevaluated for timeleness. The donate to authors issue had definitely been resolved.
I am not an addon author. I am an end user who is using the simplest addon info/update tool out there to get a job done and make donations to the addon authors.

Last edited by antiquada : 02-28-13 at 04:36 PM.

02-28-13, 05:56 PM   #14
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by antiquada View Post
Writing from an end user viewpoint,

I find Wowmatrix to be the best addon updater I have ever used. I've been playing for over 6 years and have used Wowmatrix since it came out. It's quick, nonintrusive, and just plain works. And that's really all I car about.
I have also used Wowmatrix to donate money to many addons through Wowmatrixes donate popup. Addons like DBM, Armory, Soulspeak, Auctioneer, ad nauseum. I know the donations are going to the addon authors as Wowmatrixes popup just sends me to paypal and paypal takes care of the rest.

I refuse to install the wowinterface and the free curse client just to do what Wowmatrix does, and have to go through both programs each time I log in.

When the free curse client came out I compared it to Wowmatrix and found that it was telling me to install out of date versions of addons that Wowmatrix had already updated. Or it didn't have any data for some of my addon's. I thought maybe that was curses way of getting me to pay for their supposedly better client. I am not going to pay a monthly fee to update addons.

Someone posted an article from 2009 about WowMatrix and it's deficiencies. Don't you think the four year old issues in that should be reevaluated for timeleness. The donate to authors issue had definitely been resolved.
I am not an addon author. I am an end user who is using the simplest addon info/update tool out there to get a job done and make donations to the addon authors.
From my point of view, since i'm still new to the addon scene and wasn't around for all the controversy, the only problem I have with wowmatrix is the fact they automate grabbing addons from here on WoWI to keep there's up to date, twice in the past i've had to deal with them providing a faulty version of carbonite to people, and it looks like it's happening again since people are complaining about bugs that should only be in the alpha version. If i had some control or ability to modify what they were sending people it wouldn't be as bad.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite Fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!