02-20-12, 01:44 AM   #1
RamGuy459
A Defias Bandit
World of Warcraft UI Packs / Addons. Which one do you use?

I'm back into World of Warcraft, and it's been a very long while. At least it feels so.

And while I've been gone things have shifted in the world of addons for World of Warcraft, and I can neither remember the name of the UI compilation pack I was using earlier, and I'll bet it wouldn't even be up-to-date anymore anyway.

Therefore I wanted to ask all of you which UI addons you yourself are using, and why? I don't fancy the standard in-game UI as it's neither effective nor specially good looking. So some recommandations for an old player would be helpful!
02-20-12, 04:29 AM   #2
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There are styles within the Compilations and Suites category, and you can see which are updated/being worked on. If you're looking for something ready-made, you should be able to find it there.

I personally use a combination of several addons and image replacements to get my own look, rather than rely on a UI someone else has designed. I have never been able to find something that fit me perfectly, and I've since given up on it.

The main thing I have to recommend for you is an action bar/button set by Tuller. Dominos for the bars, OmniCC for cooldown information, and tullaRange for range/power colorization.
02-20-12, 07:38 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

The main problem with most compilations/packs is that they attempt to solve all UI problems for all classes/roles, and end up being very bloated and cluttered.

Even if you find one for your class/role, the chances of it matching both your aesthetic preferences and your playstyle preferences are pretty low.

Better just to find the addons that add the features you need, and then configure them to look the way you want.
02-20-12, 09:49 PM   #4
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm not using a compilation myself but I think ElvUI is the goto pack these days.
02-21-12, 05:03 AM   #5
Matrixxx
A Kobold Labourer
Thumbs up Grim Ui

I love the Grim UI addon! Just wish the developer would hurry up and fix it after the last 4.3 patch.

I've tried many UI and this is the best one going yet
02-21-12, 10:41 AM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Try the none bloated/cluttered ElvUI (originally based on TukUI, but it's been completely rewritten). Just one folder that contains everything that a tank, healer, ranged or melee dps would ever need. And if you raid, drop the boss mod of your choice in along with a good threat meter and you're all set.

Not to mention you can customize it to suit your needs (move elements, change colors, change fonts etc etc etc.). And I love that you can make the majority of these changes without ever having to reload the UI or touch a bit of code.

Check it out here.

Last edited by Petrah : 02-21-12 at 10:47 AM.
02-21-12, 11:05 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Just one folder that contains everything that a tank, healer, ranged or melee dps would ever need.
Everything every class/role would ever need sounds like the very definition of bloat for someone who does not play every class/role.
02-22-12, 01:53 PM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Everything every class/role would ever need sounds like the very definition of bloat for someone who does not play every class/role.

Maybe

msgtooshort
02-22-12, 03:51 PM   #9
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Actually I was skeptical about that, til I tried ElvUI for my sister's comp, 2.5MB total memory footprint, with the amount of personal customization options, it really does what it says it will do, lol. Just my personal opinion, that, of course =)
02-24-12, 03:55 PM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Kendian View Post
Actually I was skeptical about that, til I tried ElvUI for my sister's comp, 2.5MB total memory footprint, with the amount of personal customization options, it really does what it says it will do, lol. Just my personal opinion, that, of course =)
Did you feel that it was a bloated addon?
02-25-12, 08:55 AM   #11
FNX
A Kobold Labourer

Using my very own package

Can be found right here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...o.php?id=20840
02-25-12, 08:07 PM   #12
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Kendian View Post
... 2.5MB total memory footprint ...
Static memory usage is irrelevant unless you're playing on a machine that struggles to run WoW in the first place, and if you're in that situation, you'll benefit far more from forking over $20 and buying a cheap stick of additional RAM than you will from worrying about the static memory usage of addons.

For some perspective, the 2.5 MB of memory you're using for addons is about 1/5th of 1 percent of the 850 MB of memory that seems about average for WoW on my machine. There's not really any way that 0.2% is going to make any difference to anything.

If you're happy with the addons you're using, that's cool, but I feel obligated to point this stuff out whenver I see someone bragging about how little memory their addon/UI uses.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » World of Warcraft UI Packs / Addons. Which one do you use?