07-16-15, 12:48 AM   #1
iskander
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Looking for an addon (tooltip quest item)

Hi,

I had an addon but after a new install of wow on my new computer, I can't remember what addon did this. Stupid me forgot to make a list of all the addons I use, and since my old computer died on me (may it rest in peace) I can't check my old wow folder.

The addon did this:
When mousing over a quest item (in your chat box or bag) the tooltip displayed something like
'Questname'
4/10 Fel-Corrupted Apexis Fragment

When in a group with my friend it would display it like this
'Questname'
Character name: 4/10 Fel-Corrupted Apexis Fragment
Friend's character name: 6/10 Fel-Corrupted Apexis Fragment

For the love of wow, I can't remember which addon did this. I hope one of you can help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
07-16-15, 01:30 PM   #2
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I believe QuestHelper did this—among many other things. However, it was abandoned as its core features were integrated into the game quite some time ago. I'm not aware of any other addons that offer a similar functionality. I believe something like Quecho is as close as you'll get.
07-16-15, 03:02 PM   #3
iskander
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I haven't used Questhelper in ages, I use Questguru.

I did a new install last week, before that all my addons were up to date. But as I said, I have no idea what addon was telling me that. It's not that I desperately need it, it came in very handy when questing together with friends, so I had an idea of who still needed items and who didn't.
07-16-15, 03:23 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Wasn't this added to the game? (displayed in tooltips for the quest item/mob)

/edit: in any case, this addon should still work: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...50-Quecho.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-16-15, 03:55 PM   #5
iskander
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
If so, then I don't know how to turn it back on....
And that addon might do the job but then my friends have to install it too, which they might not want to do...
07-16-15, 04:15 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
My husband and I levelled a pair of Worgen together in Cata and I believe this is when it was added. (I think I remember noticing it on the Beta server, even.) We don't share many of the same addons, but we were able to see how each other were doing on quest criteria.

Now, that was a while ago and it may have been removed (though I have no clue why it would be) or broken (though you think someone would notice).
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-18-15, 02:01 PM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by iskander View Post

When in a group with my friend it would display it like this
'Questname'
Character name: 4/10 Fel-Corrupted Apexis Fragment
Friend's character name: 6/10 Fel-Corrupted Apexis Fragment
My boyfriend and I have been questing together for roughly 8 years, and the only addon we ever used that showed what quest items the other person had was Carbonite. We don't use Carbonite anymore because it's too buggy, so we have to yell through the house to see how many quest pieces the other person has.

If the creator of SorhaQuestLog (what we currently use) would only add this feature it would be much much better than the Carbonite quest log ever was.
07-18-15, 02:08 PM   #8
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Quest progress (including group members) has been built into the game's tooltip since at least 2013 and can't be disabled, I know this because I had to take into account other group member's quest progress when I was scraping the tooltip for my QuestPlates addon.

I don't know how accurate it is any more, since I haven't grouped with another player on a quest in a long time.

Someone was complaining about it on the forum as recently as 2 months ago, so presumably they're still in the game.

Last edited by semlar : 07-18-15 at 02:12 PM.
07-18-15, 09:30 PM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Currently questing right now with my boyfriend, and it's not showing his name in the tooltip for one of the quest items in my bag.
07-18-15, 09:50 PM   #10
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I meant the unit tooltip for the quest objective, which display in the exact format the OP posted, I didn't realize they meant item tooltips (do quest items even show up in your inventory any more?)
07-18-15, 10:36 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yes, this is what I meant, too. The tooltip for whatever item in the world you need to collect or mob you need to kill has this info.

Maybe some old quests still put items in your bag that you would want to keep track of with a partner... /shrug

/edit: oh, and quests that collect items that aren't just quest items (fur, meat, etc.) - but that'd still be in the tooltip for the mob

07-19-15, 09:43 AM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you hover your mouse over the mob then it shows, but not in the quest items in your bag. Perhaps I misunderstood the OP.
07-19-15, 01:09 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
No, you didn't misinterpret the OP. He specifically stated in the chat log or in the bag. But we're telling him that a version of what he wants is in the game.

07-19-15, 01:45 PM   #14
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
No, you didn't misinterpret the OP. He specifically stated in the chat log or in the bag. But we're telling him that a version of what he wants is in the game.
But as Petrah says its not Only when you hover a related mob or item in the 3D-World its added to the tooltip. And its rare that you find questitems in your bag anyway these days
07-19-15, 04:20 PM   #15
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Ah ok. But I did check and in-bag quest item tooltips do not show party members. I checked last night just to be certain. It was the one quest where you have to loot a bunch of claws and then use those claws to purchase this thingy that summons a mob. We're always checking to see how many the other person has so we can decide who is buying which summoning piece.... it's not in the tooltip.
07-19-15, 04:55 PM   #16
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Blackfang Claws aren't an objective of a quest though, they're essentially currency.

Not that it makes a difference, I don't think it shows quest progress on quest items that you can click in the chat either.

Last edited by semlar : 07-19-15 at 05:13 PM.
09-14-15, 04:56 PM   #17
c0_cha0s
A Kobold Labourer
Its tiptac that does it.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Looking for an addon (tooltip quest item)