10-13-12, 10:33 PM   #1
Nisou
An Aku'mai Servant
Mini-map Disappeared, unretrievable

One thing that has always frustrated me about utilizing Carbonite is its lack of clarity when trying to figure out how to do some of the most basic things.

I don't know how it happened, but my square Carbonite minimap is gone. I've spent a half-hour trying various combinations of settings to get the square one back, but the best I can do is use the round WoW-based map with the Carbonite versions of the buttons in a moveable column (which is how I want them).

How do I get the square Carbonite map to replace the round WoW map (and yes, I have the 'Minimap is square' option checked)?

10-14-12, 02:54 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Nisou View Post
One thing that has always frustrated me about utilizing Carbonite is its lack of clarity when trying to figure out how to do some of the most basic things.

I don't know how it happened, but my square Carbonite minimap is gone. I've spent a half-hour trying various combinations of settings to get the square one back, but the best I can do is use the round WoW-based map with the Carbonite versions of the buttons in a moveable column (which is how I want them).

How do I get the square Carbonite map to replace the round WoW map (and yes, I have the 'Minimap is square' option checked)?
First:
Carbonite has one map and it is either maximized (large, like Blizzards World Map) or minimized (minimap sized but NOT the minimap). Blizzard gives us three maps: The Minimap (found in the upper right corner of your screen), the World Map (the big map) and the Zone (sometimes referred to as the Battleground) Map. A technicality, to be sure, but it occasionally helps to use the correct terms when explaining something.

Open Carbonites options to the "Map" page and make sure the "Hide maximized map when ESC or map toggle (M) key is pressed" is NOT checked. Also, just a reminder, pressing the "M" key would normally switch between the minimized and maximized Carbonite map.

If that option was not checked, then it is possible that you have accidentally dragged the Carbonite minimized map off the screen. Type /carb resetwin in chat. That will reset the positions of all of Carbonites window's back to default for that character only. Alternatively, you can open Carbonites options to the "Reset" page, and choose the "Reset window layouts of current character" option.

You can find out more about how Carbonite works, and how it can be set up, by reading the "CarboniteReadMe" plain text file in your "Path to your WoW folder\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\" folder. There is a lot of installation information at the top of the file, but, since it's already installed, you can safely skip that.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

10-14-12, 09:09 PM   #3
Nisou
An Aku'mai Servant
Thanks, Jeffy...the second suggestion worked. Although it did reset everything for all my characters, not just the one to whom I applied the fix.

Thanks!

10-14-12, 11:40 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

I'm sorry it reset the window's for all of your characters. The last time I did that it just reset them on the character I was playing at the time. Although, it's probably been over a year since I've had to do that.

The absolute best thing you could do is to find where you want your window's to be and just lock them in place.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

10-15-12, 02:51 PM   #5
Nisou
An Aku'mai Servant
No need to be sorry, Jeffy...that's what I wanted. It seems that any Carbonite map change is account-wide, and every toon's map was screwed up, and fixing one toon fixed them all.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Nisou : 10-15-12 at 03:24 PM.

10-15-12, 05:09 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

No problem. You are most welcome.

All I can say is that Carbonite used to store each characters' saved variables separately in the "Carbonite.lua" file in your "WTF" folder. In other words, each character automatically generated a new profile in Carbonite, and unless you specifically copied another characters profile on the "Reset" page of Carbonites options, that characters set up was unique to that character. Maybe that has been changed now. I don't know, but for me, it makes no difference since I like everything set up the same for all of my characters anyway.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Mini-map Disappeared, unretrievable