06-05-08, 03:01 PM   #1
eksearcher
A Murloc Raider
MMORPG Research

Hi I am a researcher doing undergraduate research about videogames. I would really appreciate your help. I also understand if you are interested because most of this research is used to fuel the fire of video games being bad.

I am a researcher working in conjunction will Dr. Dan Florell and his research team at Eastern Kentucky University. I am conducting a study on MMORPG game usage. You will be asked to complete a questionnaire covering the various aspects of your online gaming experience. Your participation should take no longer than 30 minutes.

Participation is voluntary and you have the right to refuse to answer any question or withdraw from the study at any time without giving prior notice. Your responses will be completely anonymous. After you complete the session you will be given an explanation of the study. If you would like to know the results of this study you may e-mail me at [email protected]

• If you are over the age of 18
• Wish to participate in this study;
• If all of your questions have been answered please click the link below.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...2foAv9xg_3d_3d

Last edited by eksearcher : 06-05-08 at 03:02 PM. Reason: bad link
06-05-08, 04:24 PM   #2
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say you are part of a study-group looking for numbers that will be effective in persuading lawmakers to put heavier regulations on video games in the US.

Amirite?
06-05-08, 04:29 PM   #3
Eas
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say you are part of a study-group looking for numbers that will be effective in persuading lawmakers to put heavier regulations on video games in the US.

Amirite?
you win sir
06-05-08, 04:30 PM   #4
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

So this is a research survey on video games being bad? Hah!

I refuse to do this survey!
06-05-08, 04:32 PM   #5
Eas

video games aren't bad if you have the right mindset to play them. just dont sell games to insane people.
06-05-08, 04:33 PM   #6
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Man. If only I had a red marker to correct the bad grammar and sentence structure here.
06-05-08, 04:34 PM   #7
Eas

if your talking about me, i know. i cant help 1337 speak >.<

I'm trying to get over it.
06-05-08, 04:35 PM   #8
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

I'm sure he's talking to the OP.

You just don't caps. Which is the lazy way out. Which is totally fine.
06-05-08, 10:06 PM   #9
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
I'm sure he's talking to the OP.

You just don't caps. Which is the lazy way out. Which is totally fine.
Hehe .. yea I was .. sorry there Eas wasn't meant at you.

When I read forum posts I usually don't care how it is spelt or written as long as it makes sense.
06-06-08, 01:47 PM   #10
eksearcher
A Murloc Raider
About the research

MMORPG users, I am not apart of any group to put restrictions on gaming. This research is not focusing on aspects of game violence like most previous research has. Most websites I have previously posted on have said that enjoyed completing this survey. I understand if you do not want to take part for fear of this research being used against you. My goal is to shed light on positive aspects of MMORPGs.
06-06-08, 03:59 PM   #11
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by eksearcher View Post
MMORPG users, ...
That is quite a funny way to be addressed at.

Fellow MMORPG users, we should unite and take over that survey to prove we are people too! Errr, wait.

Last edited by Kaomie : 06-06-08 at 06:54 PM.
06-06-08, 06:45 PM   #12
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I clicked the link, and studied the survey thoroughly. I still think it's a survey that is intended to persuade law makers in one way or another, or in multiple ways that include gaming being a handicap or an addiction; not "only" for the violent or aggressive behavior it might bring out in people, but also because of the friendships people make while gaming. The fact that people are encouraged to maintain "healthy" relations (defined loosely), it can be argued that online games can be more addictive and more dangerous to children due to the ease of contact in a non-gaming setting (ie.. vent, phone, e-mail exchange, etc...).

I am extremely wary of surveys in general, I have been summoned by the census morons for filling out bogus census reports (I, of coarse, did not show up). Take the survey if you like, but I'd use caution when answering the questions. He / she tells the truth when he / she says you can omit answering certain questions, but this also creates a result in computer read surveys. Good luck if you decide to take the survey, I hope you don't get our games regulated and / or help lazy idiots live off a government check for their "handicap".

@eksearcher, I hope that when you publish this survey, you disclose the fact that you obtained participants from websites that have members from many different countries. I'd hate to see this be used by lobbyists to change our laws, or create new laws based on what non citizens report in a survey to be directed at US laws and regulations.
06-06-08, 07:20 PM   #13
eksearcher
A Murloc Raider
Yhor, I will be sure to include the fact that not all gamers are form the united states, I think that is one of the more interesting aspects of these games.Thank you for taking the time to look at my survey. I understand you being leery of researchers like myself. I know most the articles on the topic of games investigated violence and other negative impacts. If you or any one on this forum wants a copy of the paper I will be writing using your responses I am more than willing to post it. I believe it is your right to have access to it. It will be done early August.
06-06-08, 07:47 PM   #14
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

This reminds me, did we ever get some feedback for Wyart survey?
Must have missed it
06-06-08, 08:31 PM   #15
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by eksearcher View Post
Yhor,
<started a paragraph after the salutaion>
I will be sure to include the fact that not all gamers are from the United States. I think that this is one of the more interesting aspects of these games. Thank you for taking the time to look at my survey. I understand you being leery of researchers like myself and I know most of the articles on the topic of games investigated violence and other negative impacts. If you or anyone on this forum wants a copy of the paper I will be writing using your responses I am more than willing to post it. I believe it is your right to have access to it. It will be done in early August.
Honestly ... how can I take you seriously as a researcher ...

Before you try researching us fellow MMORPG players please try researching the proper use of the English language.

I made a few corrections to the above. I did not correct them all cause I'm sure you get my point, but if you are going to come here to ask people to take part in a survey so you can collect data to write a paper, please have the decency to make it at least look professional.

Also I understand that this is a game forum. Forums are never known for their correct use of ANY language. It is an informal meeting place and most things like incorrect spelling, punctuation and structure are never an issue.

So if people want to flame me go ahead ... maybe I deserve it here ... but I just wanted to voice my opinion here.

-------

To eksearcher:

I do not mean to belittle or disrespect you on your use of the English language so if I embarrassed you in any way I do apologize for that. Please do not be mad at me, I was merely trying to point out a more professional way to approach this. I wish you luck on the paper you are writing as well as with your survey. Maybe after you finish you can post it here for all to read ... you just might impress us (me) after all

Good Luck

Last edited by Sepioth : 06-06-08 at 09:02 PM.
06-24-08, 09:57 AM   #16
eksearcher
A Murloc Raider
Thank You

Thank you members of this forum site for participating in this survey we will be closing the collection of the data after the 4th of July weekend. I would also like to thank the site administrator's who allowed us to post. Research on this topic would be impossible without participants like yourselves. Feel free to contact me about the study at my email address [email protected]. Results should be posted in the fall and a couple of papers may result from this study.
06-24-08, 10:53 AM   #17
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Is easily distracted
Vaguely ironic.
06-24-08, 01:25 PM   #18
Aesop
A Murloc Raider
Who is your sponsor?

Would you mind disclosing who is sponsoring the surveys costs , and who will be receiving a copy of the completed analysis. Also provide the name of educational institution under whose auspices this survey will be published.

I believe this information is usually routinely provided and disclosed upon request.

Thank You
06-27-08, 09:41 AM   #19
eksearcher
A Murloc Raider
It is being paid for by the McNair scholars office and the psychology department at EKU. McNair paid for my research supplies and the psychology department furnished the surveymonkey account. A paper will be turned in to the McNair scholars office for credit for a summer research project. After that there is talk of potential publications but I am not sure what journal it will be submitted to.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » MMORPG Research