04-20-09, 10:36 PM   #661
LittleWhiteDove
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
/me is in a -y mood, in case no one noticed.
Not sure how you can be in a huggy mood after 33 or is it 34 pages of the same arguments over and over again. By now I think most people would be tearing their hair out or ranting and raving about stupid <blank> <blank> people who can't see past the end of their own noses. I think I said it before but in case it wasn't clear - You people at WoWInterface are wonderful Keep up the good work.
04-20-09, 11:14 PM   #662
ScytheBlade1
aka Sbo

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by LittleWhiteDove View Post
Note to Donnaterassi - From your signature "Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? The owners of WoWInterface reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

The fact that they can does not bother me as much as you signature comment does. Your stressing of the word edit would seem to be implying that the WoWInterface forum moderators are editing posts to suit what they want people to see or read. Since every edit shows who edited it and when, I am very sure that type of behavior from anyone associated with WoWInterface would have long ago been brought to light and they would not be as respected by the community as they are.

I note that you have just registered on the site and wonder if you are just looking to vent or if you are out to try and create a problem where none exist. Either way I personally find your implication offensive.
I really couldn't put it any better.

Either you trust them, or you don't. And if they really are as bad as your signature implies, Donnaterassi - why are you wasting your time here?
<Iriel> does your 'therapy' involve pitchforks and boiling oil?
04-20-09, 11:47 PM   #663
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Tristanian View Post
we could never have imagined that all this would take place one day and we would actually have to 'restrict' the addon by issuing some sort of custom BSD license to accompany it. We opted to 'ignore' the incident and move on, even when our initial requests to WM to remove the addon from their lists have gone ignored, back in November.
The license requirement to use Google Code requires an open source license. If you now choose to relicense it just in an effort to stop WM from listing your addon and linking to it (especially when such a link is not in any way hurting you or wowi or curse), then I will petition google to shut down your hosting on their site, for violations of their terms of use.
04-20-09, 11:53 PM   #664
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Jalandar View Post
The license requirement to use Google Code requires an open source license. If you now choose to relicense it just in an effort to stop WM from listing your addon and linking to it (especially when such a link is not in any way hurting you or wowi or curse), then I will petition google to shut down your hosting on their site, for violations of their terms of use.
If you want to be a dick, petition away. I used GCode for a long time with a note on the front page that my code was *not* licensed how they said it was, because their selection of licenses was pathetically restricted.
04-20-09, 11:58 PM   #665
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Keep it civil guys. Just a friendly reminder.
04-21-09, 12:02 AM   #666
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
If you want to be a dick, petition away. I used GCode for a long time with a note on the front page that my code was *not* licensed how they said it was, because their selection of licenses was pathetically restricted.
He who is so righteous about all of the services WoWI provides and how they deserve our respect for that, has such disrespect for another of his service providers and feels it is ok to just completely disregard and ignore one of the few restrictions they place on the use of the free service they provide?

I've often felt many of those attacking those who support WM on this issue to have been hypocrites, but this is as plain a proof of that as possible.

In light of Blizzard's recent change in addon policy, maybe it is time for a campaign to get them to add a new restriction on addons, that they be required to be released under an open source license.

Easily enforced. Just require that all adds include a line of code acknowleding the open source license rule, without the code the addon will not load. By including it, they accede to the addon being licensed as required.

Last edited by Jalandar : 04-21-09 at 12:04 AM. Reason: adding idea for required open source licensing of addons
04-21-09, 12:09 AM   #667
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
He who is so righteous about all of the services WoWI provides and how they deserve our respect for that, has such disrespect for another of his service providers and feels it is ok to just completely disregard and ignore one of the few restrictions they place on the use of the free service they provide?

I've often felt many of those attacking those who support WM on this issue to have been hypocrites, but this is as plain a proof of that as possible.

In light of Blizzard's recent change in addon policy, maybe it is time for a campaign to get them to add a new restriction on addons, that they be required to be released under an open source license.

Easily enforced. Just require that all adds include a line of code acknowleding the open source license rule, without the code the addon will not load. By including it, they accede to the addon being licensed as required.
You do realize that that would completely destroy the addon community, right?

I personally would not write addons and release them if my code was availiable for anyone to tamper with and release as their own.
04-21-09, 12:11 AM   #668
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Keep it civil guys. Just a friendly reminder.
I'm close to resorting to name-calling .

I won't make your job harder than it has to be, if I can help it (although it's extremely trying at times).
04-21-09, 12:13 AM   #669
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post
You do realize that that would completely destroy the addon community, right?
Hardly. Many of the most widely used addons already come under some open source license.

I personally would not write addons and release them if my code was availiable for anyone to tamper with and release as their own.
Most open source licenses still require attribution. You would still be getting credit, and it would allow others to more easily pick up dead addons that are still popular and keep them going.

I would see this as a major positive change to the add-on community, and I've gone ahead and suggested it on the UI-Macro forum.
04-21-09, 12:19 AM   #670
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Hardly. Many of the most widely used addons already come under some open source license.
And many of the most widely used addons are not.

Omen and LightHeaded are the first ones that come to my mind, but there are many others.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-21-09, 12:22 AM   #671
Arrowmaster
An Aku'mai Servant
Most of the popular ones I can think of are not anymore.

Troll elsewhere, open source licenses are the worst kind for WoW addons because the rest of the community has zero respect and will do anything they can get away with legally even if you ask them not to.
04-21-09, 12:31 AM   #672
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Arrowmaster View Post
Most of the popular ones I can think of are not anymore.

Troll elsewhere, open source licenses are the worst kind for WoW addons because the rest of the community has zero respect and will do anything they can get away with legally even if you ask them not to.
This is no troll. This is a valid suggestion.

X-Perl already uses the GPL. WoWAce libraries are LGPL. Auctioneer and Gatherer and related mods, GPL.

Many many others are also. Including a huge number of the WoWAce based mods.

Open Source makes sense, and it would benefit the users as well as the addon community. And it would allow the creation of open source download repositories.
04-21-09, 12:51 AM   #673
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

WoWAce libraries are LGPL.
Did I not say like 2 pages ago, Ace is NOT GPL, LGPL, PGL, PLG, or GLP.... it is it's own custom license designed specifically for it's use (embedding).

My addons have always been "all rights reserved" because I do not believe in licenses AT ALL. I've said many times over that people are free to use my code, they don't even have to give me credit. But if they release my code with tiny modifications and don't give it it's own proper name and ensure it doesn't conflict with my version, I get *****y.

"Addon Name (Reborn)" can lick my salty right nut. Hell, and the left one too.

*edit* the selective censorship around here still amuses me... like the o.forum censoring scraping cause it looks kinda like raping.
*editedit* I forgot, Ace is also not GULP, BIGGULP or SUPERBIGGULP

Last edited by Tekkub : 04-21-09 at 12:55 AM.
04-21-09, 01:03 AM   #674
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
There is no need. If we decide to move along with a new licensing scheme, we won't be using it anymore, or hosting anything to it that cannot be replaced, but regardless knock yourself out, if that will make you feel any better.

"Addon Name (Reborn)" can lick my salty right nut. Hell, and the left one too.

*edit* the selective censorship around here still amuses me... like the o.forum censoring scraping cause it looks kinda like raping.
*editedit* I forgot, Ace is also not GULP, BIGGULP or SUPERBIGGULP
Haha, tek, control yourself man, take a deep breath, eat some bacon or something

Last edited by Tristanian : 04-21-09 at 01:08 AM.
04-21-09, 01:12 AM   #675
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Tristanian View Post
Haha, tek, control yourself man, take a deep breath, eat some bacon or something
I want a cherry slurpee.
04-21-09, 01:38 AM   #676
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by LittleWhiteDove View Post
Note to Donnaterassi - From your signature "Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? The owners of WoWInterface reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

The fact that they can does not bother me as much as you signature comment does. Your stressing of the word edit would seem to be implying that the WoWInterface forum moderators are editing posts to suit what they want people to see or read. Since every edit shows who edited it and when, I am very sure that type of behavior from anyone associated with WoWInterface would have long ago been brought to light and they would not be as respected by the community as they are.
Yeah I admit to being a little offended by his insuation as well.

Donnaterassi that clause is there in order to keep a civil forum . They don't allow personal attacks of any nature so they will remove or edit those sort of posts. Also if a user posts something in the wrong thread they will move it. They in fact do exactly what the blue posters on the official forums do.

It isn't because they want to edit posts to what they want people to see. This thread wouldn't be 33 pages long if so. It would have a few posts by supportors , a few justificatio , little dancing bannanas ns and it would of been about 4 pages long. Maximum.

There would not of been any posts from the wow matrix users , no posts from uninformed users and no posts from people who haven't read the past 33 pages of threads in which the wow interface staff and their supporters have had to say the same thing multiple times.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
04-21-09, 02:16 AM   #677
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by honem View Post
It isn't because they want to edit posts to what they want people to see. This thread wouldn't be 33 pages long if so. It would have a few posts by supportors , a few justificatio , little dancing bannanas ns and it would of been about 4 pages long. Maximum.
Personally, if I had my way, I would be sure all those damn bananas go away. They're too happy ><
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-21-09, 02:29 AM   #678
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
Personally, if I had my way, I would be sure all those damn bananas go away. They're too happy ><
That, and only sexy bulls should dance that way.
04-21-09, 05:55 AM   #679
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Most open source licenses still require attribution. You would still be getting credit, and it would allow others to more easily pick up dead addons that are still popular and keep them going.

I would see this as a major positive change to the add-on community, and I've gone ahead and suggested it on the UI-Macro forum.
Blizzard can't force it on people. It'd be disasterious for the Addon community AND for World of Warcraft.

I think they are taking a big risk with their current restrictions.

As a note, if you contact an author of an abandoned addon, most will be happy to hand over the riegns to someone else. If you ASK.

I personally do not trust open source. It's good in theory, but not in practice. (my web browser is Opera)

Just look at some of the open source projects on the internet. The first one coming to mind is Mozilla. Care to guess how many clones there are of Mozilla (not Firefox, Mozilla Suite)?

As for firefox, you might download a new browser to try out but little do you know, it's really that pesky fox with a new look, and no ID tags to say "Firefox"

My point is that, not only would it stop some people from writing addons (Many, actually)... you'd end up with clones of just about every addon out there... And some would be sloppy and even worse, you might see an addon marked "Cartographer" but it's really an older branch of Cart with no bug fixes and sloppy programming.

And if I made ANY sense, you get several cookies...

Last edited by Bomyne : 04-21-09 at 05:59 AM.
04-21-09, 06:37 AM   #680
Bouvi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

And if I made ANY sense, you get several cookies...
I call BS!!! And if not BS what kind of cookies? I prefer White Chocolate Macadamia personally.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users