01-05-07, 08:18 AM   #1
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Localization for PerfectRaid

I wanted to start a post where we can specifically discuss the process that should happen for Localization, so we can get this mod as up-to-date as possible, and be commited properly for as many locales as possible. At this point we appear to have working localizations for:
  • enUS
  • frFR (incomplete)
  • deDE (incomplete)
  • zhCN (needs to be localized)
  • zhTW (needs to be localized)
  • koKR (needs to be localized)
  • esES (needs to be localized)

The process for localization is as such. Any string in *.lua that matches the following pattern:
Code:
L["Some text here"]
is pulled out via Babelfish.lua and put into a temporary table. Within that table, I have a translation table for any tokens (i.e. STATUS_MOTW), where the english translation is something other than the token. Anytime I add or remove strings from the mod, I run Babelfish.lua to generate my Localization.enUS.lua.

This file then becomes the base locale for all other locales. If a translation is missing, the english one will be used. As a result, for up-to-date localizations, its vital that this file is monitored.

What I would like to have is someone who is able and willing to be the official localizer for each of the locales (esES, deDE, frFR, koKR, etc.). They will be added to the PerfectRaid svn commit list, and they will monitor when the Localization file changes.

A simple diff at that point will let you know what lines changed in the base file, and what needs to be added to your localization file.

The current Localization.frFR.lua file I believe is out of date and needs to be updated, but its a good basis for what this should look like. If you are willing to take on this responsibility, or have any questions, please let me know.

For spell names, I may look to have those pulled dynamically from BabbleLib's resources (Which are spectacular, and have a great localization team), but I'd love even more to have them kept up to date by my users, who have a better understanding of their purpose.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."

Last edited by Cladhaire : 01-05-07 at 08:22 AM.
01-05-07, 10:14 AM   #2
Itania
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I will be very happy to help you by maintaining the frFR localization up to date.
01-05-07, 10:23 AM   #3
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Please email me if you'd like to be notified of commits on the svn, I'll add you to the list so you are able to update the localization, when a new version is commited.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Cladhaire's Mods » Localization for PerfectRaid