03-08-05, 12:11 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Having major lag?

You may be suffering from a bug in the programing that affects any UI that has moveable windows. Blizzard is aware of the problem and will be fixing it in the content patch.

Simply what happens is that your windows framelevel layers keep getting higher and higher until your game lags to the point of locking up.

Here is a thread about it if you would like to read it all:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...mp=1#post74462

Here is the way to temporarily fix it until Blizzard comes through with the patch.

1.) Go to World of Warcraft->WTF->Account name->character's name->layout-cache.txt

2.) Open with WORDPAD(Do not open with notepad as it does not show the formula correctly) or some application that will allow you to edit text.

3.) Find every parameter that says "FrameLevel: ####" Ctrl-F might help if you have a ton of frames to sift through. Yes, some of the values will be as high as 20000. Set them to 2. Set them all to 2. Don't mess with your X and Y values, as those determine the placement of your windows on the screen. Yes, I know this can be tedious, but I can almost guarantee you that you will love me forever afterwards.

4.) Save and backup.

5.) Log into the particular character experiencing problems. If your lag is gone, thank me profusely and shower me in gifts and love. If it's not gone, make SURE you got all framelevel parameters and haven't missed any. And if your lag persists after that, I cry for you.

6.) In case you see the framelevels creeping up again, just overwrite the tainted file with your nice, pristine, delicious, sparkly backup file.

EXAMPLE of Problem numbers:

Frame: BibActionBar1DragButton
FrameLevel: 1975
X: 490
Y: -1039
Frame: BibActionBar2DragButton
FrameLevel: 20000000
Y: -1077
Frame: BibActionBar3DragButton
FrameLevel: 168
X: 1339
Y: -625

EXAMPLE of problem fixed:

Frame: BibActionBar1DragButton
FrameLevel: 2
Y: -1039
Frame: BibActionBar2DragButton
Y: -1077
Frame: BibActionBar3DragButton
X: 1339
Y: -625

Thanks to BloodEagle for getting this information posted in the Help forums. And thank you to Lokklyn for the original version of this post, found here.

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-08-05 at 03:50 PM.
03-10-05, 06:25 PM   #2
reiser
A Defias Bandit
Is this lag manifested by all the NPCs, PCs, and critters disappearing?
03-10-05, 07:34 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
No, that's server-side. The lag caused by this problem shows itself in not being able to move, freeze-frame type movement, feels like you are watching a slide-show, etc.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
03-15-05, 03:14 PM   #4
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

ok

how about the "ZONECHANNELS" in the Chat-cache.txt file.. some of them are way up there, like 23645644.. and some are at 3, is this normal? If not what should they be at..

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Having major lag?