11-29-09, 03:42 PM   #1
Tandurin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Multi-Resolution UI?

Hi,

I am just looking in on making UI's using lua-scripts. And I was wondering if there is an easy way of making a UI compatible with multiple resolutions without having to reorganize everything.

And if there isn't what resolution would be recommended to work with.

I am making a Guild UI but we work with lots of different resolutions so that's why.

Hope anybody can answer my question.
11-29-09, 03:45 PM   #2
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hi, one way of doing this would be to use relative anchor points, for example the minimap always stays at topright of the ui, so anchor it to the topright of it.

Further you can look at other ui's, such as tuk ui wich detects your resolution and operates according to it.
11-30-09, 01:38 AM   #3
Tandurin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thanks I sent a PM to tukz, to see if he can help me out.
11-30-09, 03:44 AM   #4
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ok, I'm currently working to get my UI fixed with all resolutions, and I found out, as long as you don't have any components so big that if the screen get's smaller that they overlap, it is really easy. Make sure that the things you want aligned to the right are anchored to the right, and vice versa with left and center. Make sure you don't use any absolute values like anchoring the editbox(the fault I made in my UI, current version) to "BOTTOMLEFT" instead of anchoring it relative to the chatframe(assuming you want the editbox below/ontop of the chatframe). And if you follow those rules then it should work with any resolution. And to all people that use ncUI, in my next version it *should* work with any resolution.
11-30-09, 03:53 AM   #5
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I wish my UI was able to do this with a single profile, but unfortunately this method wouldn't work flawlessly for me because of how some of my art is setup.

The way I do it is create a UI for a particular aspect ratio such as 16:10, then I create a duplicate profile for most AddOns for a different aspect ratio such as 16:9 then tweak the AddOns until they fit properly.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Multi-Resolution UI?