04-27-13, 03:05 PM   #1
DJMcCarthy12
A Kobold Labourer
New to Creating Addons

Hey guys, I'm new to creating addons, but I've done some reading and I'm pretty sure I'm ready to go (I have other programming experience) - I just have one question.

How do I access preexisting information about a character in-game? i.e. the player level, class, health, item level, etc. - is this type of information stored in global variables somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

DJ
04-27-13, 03:12 PM   #2
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
UnitLevel("player")
UnitClass("player")
UnitHealth("player")
GetAverageItemLevel()

You can find many of these here, for example. As you learn to make addons you'll remember the most common ones; others you can just look for in the relevant categories.
04-27-13, 08:00 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I find the single-page list of global functions to be much easier to use than browsing categories. If I want to find the function that tells me a unit's name, for example, I don't have to think about which category that's probably in; I can just use my browser's find-in-page feature to search for "name".
04-27-13, 09:36 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, it's probably going to be in the "Unit functions" category. You can still use your browser's find feature on the categorized list. A categorized list is a whole lot less daunting for a beginner.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-28-13, 06:14 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

True, but it's not always obvious which category the function you want belongs to, and the global list is helpful for finding out if there even is a function for what you want.
04-28-13, 12:21 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Again, you can still use Ctrl-F on the category list page. All the categories are listed on one page, after all, they're just organized. Then, if you find what you're looking for, you can see at a glance all the other related functions.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-29-13, 01:09 PM   #7
Rainrider
A Firelord
Also keep in mind that all the available WoW API documentation is not officially supported by Blizzard but rather community driven. Thus information is not always up-to-date or accurate. What you can do is use the /dump command in-game to find out if the number or order of return values has changed or/and call the function wrongly with activated lua errors to get a short usage description.
04-29-13, 02:13 PM   #8
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You can also use EventTracker to glean information about undocumented Events. I found editing EventTracker_events.lua more effective than the slash commands, but your results may vary.
04-29-13, 02:56 PM   #9
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
You can also use EventTracker to glean information about undocumented Events. I found editing EventTracker_events.lua more effective than the slash commands, but your results may vary.
This addon seems just like the blizzard built in "/eventtrace" command one.
04-29-13, 04:06 PM   #10
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It is; however, it is easier to read the results. Just my opinion, of course!
04-29-13, 04:19 PM   #11
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
It is; however, it is easier to read the results. Just my opinion, of course!
Well, if you're a rookie you pretty much know all the events what you gonna need. JK just use CLEU.
04-29-13, 07:34 PM   #12
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Rainrider View Post
What you can do is use the /dump command in-game to find out if the number or order of return values has changed or/and call the function wrongly with activated lua errors to get a short usage description.
It might be easier to look at the Blizzard UI code, so you can see how the values are actually used, as it's not always clear what a long list of true/false or number values actually mean.

You can look at it online, or extract a local copy from your installed game client.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » New to Creating Addons