07-13-10, 10:10 AM   #1
Zulakbar
A Kobold Labourer
cataclysm beta

I'm in the beta and was wondering if there is anything I can do to help in preparation for cataclysm like gather information off quests or something.

Just wanna help my favorite addon.

07-22-10, 10:56 AM   #2
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
We have not yet started any work on a Cataclysm update. When a Carbonite 4 beta is ready, we will post it for people to test. Then we could start getting data files from testers.

07-22-10, 10:59 AM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I personally don't use Carbonite myself but I am quite willing to assist here too during my own testing runs. Even in the azeroth starting zones they have changed the questing experience alot. Kalimdor still needs work but the Eastern Kingdoms are alot more refreshing for us altoholics.

08-02-10, 03:12 PM   #4
bmtphoenix
A Fallenroot Satyr
Considering the frequency and contents of the updates to Carbonite since Blizz pitched a fit about us paying a subscription fee, I've got a sinking feeling that there will be no Carbonite in Cataclysm.

08-16-10, 07:21 AM   #5
Svegan
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Donate

As has been noted, blizzard does not allow addon makers to charge a fee, but they do not have any means to block or hinder donations made.

09-27-10, 12:48 AM   #6
bmtphoenix
A Fallenroot Satyr
I'd much rather know that my small amount of money was joining with others to be significant as opposed to hope.

10-05-10, 10:10 PM   #7
metalmight
A Fallenroot Satyr
Here's the thing Carbonite authors: There is a thread in the supporters section called "Important Cataclysm Information" or something to that effect. In order to read it I would have to donate but if it said carbonite will not be developed for cata then i would have wasted my money. So what I need is confirmation from you on if this is true or not. Why is there no version of carbonite available for testing on the beta? Why has it been so long since an official update to the addon? And finally, if I donate will i get updates more often? Thank you the addon is splendiferous.

10-06-10, 12:35 AM   #8
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by metalmight View Post
In order to read it I would have to donate but if it said carbonite will not be developed for cata then i would have wasted my money.
Honestly, you're not missing anything. There hasn't been any relevant news there or in the "public" sections.

Why is there no version of carbonite available for testing on the beta?
It was announced LONG ago that the team is more focused on profitable projects, so it comes as no surprise that there isn't a version for the beta.

Why has it been so long since an official update to the addon?
See above.

And finally, if I donate will i get updates more often?
No. No one else has, so why would you?

As someone already stated, I won't be surprised to see Carbonite not get updated for Cataclysm; it would be a waste when compared labor vs. profit. Realize when it is all boiled down, although an excellent addon, it was only developed to make money. That's it. Since the cash cow was slaughtered, there's no incentive to keep working other than "out of the goodness of their hearts", which history has shown that the heart is made of dollar signs. That is their right and choice, but definitely not the norm for most of the author community which people like you take for granted (no offense, but the point is true nonetheless).

I added donation links to my addons a while ago and guess how many have donated for my months/years of work? $0. Yet I, as well as dozens of others, keep at it. Others, not as generous. Is it wrong? Nope. It's their choice. They openly stated they lost over 60% of their income. If you got a 60% pay cut at your job, would you keep doing it? Neither would I.

Of course, I could be completely wrong as I haven't scanned every single thread/post concerning Cata's coming. But considering nothing significant has come down the line since the "pay us to request features" scam (my view, take it as you will), although they did deliver on the "popular" vote (popular quotes because honestly, the numbers could have been completely made up).

But in the end I feel I got my money's worth of what I donated. But not much past that to make me want to give more; the door swings both ways on that one, sorry to say.

10-06-10, 01:55 AM   #9
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
As someone already stated, I won't be surprised to see Carbonite not get updated for Cataclysm; it would be a waste when compared labor vs. profit.
Originally Posted by Haavok View Post
We are planning on making Carbonite compatible with the Cataclysm expansion.
I think that should answer part of the question.

10-06-10, 04:43 AM   #10
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I have to agree with Chaos. They may have stated that they intend to update to be compatible with Cata, but I have serious doubts it will actually happen.

Look at what's happened over the past year;

The Carb devs have lost most of their revenue from the addon as Chaos stated.

This part is conjecture on my part, but I'm sure that the "fun" aspect of keeping Carb going was burned to ashes long ago.

And here's the one thing that would've made me quit development long, long ago; The nerd-rage that goes on in the Carb forums is so much worse than anything you see associated with any other addon it is just unbelievable. For some reason I have yet to come to come to grips with, Carb users (a small, but incredibly vocal minority I'm sure) feel they are entitled to have every little problem fixed as soon as it's posted. Every feature request is placed as a demand. Recently, there was even a thread started by a former user who stated that Carb was still messing with him, even after he deleted all aspects of the addon.

Will Carb come back with Cata? I truly, truly hope so. It's a work of astounding proportions and a mainstay for many, many WoW players including myself.

Will my gameplay suffer without it? Most definitely. Although much improved, the default minimap and quest related things that Blizz has added just don't hold a match to Carbonite. A lesson hard-learned while playing the Beta for Cata.

Will I rage against the Carb devs when and if they decide not to continue? Absolutely not. I will thank them for all the hard work they've done over the years and wish them the best of luck with all their future endeavors.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

10-06-10, 10:36 AM   #11
metalmight
A Fallenroot Satyr
Well if they decide to abandon the project wholly then (although they are not obligated to) it would be nice if they would at least release the source so someone who does care about the addon and has the skills can keep it updated. At least I hope so. I know it's not a perfect fairy tale world but...

10-06-10, 10:53 AM   #12
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Granted I'm no wiz-kid when it comes to coding, but I'm pretty sure the "source" can be downloaded from here. Just click "Download latest version" and you have all the coding involved in the entire Carbonite project within seconds.

10-06-10, 02:31 PM   #13
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
"And finally, if I donate will i get updates more often? "

No. No one else has, so why would you?
He doesn't know. No need to be snippy.

10-06-10, 02:32 PM   #14
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
Granted I'm no wiz-kid when it comes to coding, but I'm pretty sure the "source" can be downloaded from here. Just click "Download latest version" and you have all the coding involved in the entire Carbonite project within seconds.
Yeah, its obfuscated, but someone who could carry on the project could deobfuscate it.

10-06-10, 02:38 PM   #15
metalmight
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
Granted I'm no wiz-kid when it comes to coding
You certainly aren't. That is not the source code. I know enough to know that.

10-06-10, 02:42 PM   #16
metalmight
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Spahut View Post
Thanks man.

Yeah, its obfuscated, but someone who could carry on the project could deobfuscate it.
Apparently I was writing my previous post when Spahut posted this. He obviously knows more about it than me.

10-06-10, 03:35 PM   #17
Sythalin
Curse staff

I'm not being snippy. It's a statement of fact. If my straightforwardness is offensive to some, well then not much I can do about that. I'm not apologizing for being me.

This has been discussed a few dozen times before. It's not "obfuscated" or it would violate Blizz's "rules" on how addons can be coded/distributed. It's simply compressed using a program, most likely LuaSrcDiet.

The only "complication" is the time to seperate everything out in a "more readable" format and figuring out what variables are for what.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » cataclysm beta