01-07-11, 07:00 AM   #1
karmik
A Murloc Raider
How to experiement and upgrade the right way, newbie best practices

Hello, I am a newbie with a background in computing, I toyed with RDX a few years ago and basically circled around this "meta-ui" for years. Now I am diving in and of course got hooked big time.

I'll try to discover as much as I can and then ask questions on the remaining points to help other newbies that would have the same troubles.

Right now my question is about the best practices after toying around with the editor and the frames in WoWRDX I made a few changes like :
- placement and size and layout of bars and windows
- add a castbar for the target
- few other things

You uploaded OpenRDX beta 11 that prompted me for and upgrade and all my changes were lost of course (but I had a back up .

Thant prompted me to wonder what would be the best practice coming from a fresh install.

Shall I right away make a new "desktop" and then put on it windows/frames from WoWRDX to have my layout survive your updates ?

Shall I create my new frames (like the target castbar I created by duplicating the player castbar) inside that desktop ?

Are the windows/frame objects all in the same "namespace" and available to all desktops or are the frames contained "owned" by the desktop ?

As I understand it, packages contains frames and windows and desktop (objects), but desktops, frames, windows are all objects in the same flat namespace, is that right ?

It means naming of all object should be done carefully to help management and avoid conflicts, right ?
01-07-11, 08:00 AM   #2
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Open the package Explorer.
Right click on a package WoWRDX and select copy.

The entire package will be copy into a new package and all namespaces will be automatically updated.

And of course rename your object AUI.

You can open any windows from any package in your desktop.
01-08-11, 06:33 AM   #3
Shamino
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
this is an excellent thread and should be sticky as RDX 101: What you should do first.

Sigg, to extend upon this. When you do update WOWRDX packages, what is the best way to merge your changes into the local copy that you did first?

An example, lets say i follow these directions and copy the entire WoWRDX package and then make some customizations.
You then enhance WoWRDX objects, maybe you fixed a bug with a design or something.

How do I copy your fixes/enhancements without having to copy the entire package again and lose all my changes?

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » OpenRDX » OpenRDX Community » OpenRDX: Community Chat » How to experiement and upgrade the right way, newbie best practices