09-24-06, 09:19 AM   #1
NLO
A Fallenroot Satyr

Question The "Gatherer"

...yeah.. hm...
What exactly does it DO?

No really; It says it remembers herb/mine locations and that, when standing near enough to one, its position popps up on the minimap.

...erm... (note: I'm asking because I don't get it; Not because I'm being sarcastic or trying to be smart )
-Isn't that what is being done without the add-on? -> When you get near enought to a herb/mine, it's location popps up on the minimap...

Can someone please give me a practical example of what it *really* does?

Thanks
09-24-06, 09:32 AM   #2
Fin
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think, the easiest way for you to answer this question, would be to try it.
09-24-06, 09:32 AM   #3
Starxed
A Kobold Labourer
re: The Gatherer

I have not used this mod in a long time, because I thought I heard it no longer worked since a couple patches ago. (?)

As you mentioned, the non-mod interface pops up locations on the minimap, but here's what Gatherer did in addition:

- Marked nodes that you already collected on minimap and gave a timer as to how long ago it was harvested (presumably so you could check back later).

- Marked resource nodes on the LARGE map as well, so you automatically had icons on your map representing resources and could easily go check them.

As I said, I have not used this for several patches now, so operations may have changed in the meantime.

-Starxed
09-24-06, 10:16 AM   #4
gariig
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
You use it for trying to find specific nodes when out gathering. Like if you are low on Dreamfoil you can look at your world map and know where dreamfoil should be at.

However, I don't use it because it's resource intensive and it clutters your world map.
09-24-06, 01:52 PM   #5
teddyboy420
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Starxed
I have not used this mod in a long time, because I thought I heard it no longer worked since a couple patches ago. (?)

As you mentioned, the non-mod interface pops up locations on the minimap, but here's what Gatherer did in addition:

- Marked nodes that you already collected on minimap and gave a timer as to how long ago it was harvested (presumably so you could check back later).

- Marked resource nodes on the LARGE map as well, so you automatically had icons on your map representing resources and could easily go check them.

As I said, I have not used this for several patches now, so operations may have changed in the meantime.

-Starxed
This mod has been updated to work with the latest patch....

As for the OP's original question....

Gatherer remembers where and when you gather something (herbs/ore/chests/crates) and puts the corresponding icon on the mini and main maps. It is really a VERY useful add-on as not only do you have a marked icon on the map of where things have popped up in the past thus making it easier to find gatherables in the future when you need them, but you can also filter and search for specific items and the mod will tell you which zone has the highest concentration of whatever it is you're looking for.

Gatherer is honestly one of the most usefull add-ons I have ever used and I can very easily recomend it to anyone that has Herbalism or Mining or even for people that just want to remember where chests have spawned in the past.
09-24-06, 03:59 PM   #6
NavyFC
A Murloc Raider
Gatherer marks nodes that you've harvested (or attempted to harvest). It also remembers chests, food crates, waterbarrels, etc. It then displays the information on your minimap and world map in the form of icons representing the node type (i.e. copper, iron, silverleaf, peacebloom, etc.) This is extremly helpful in letting you take a look at where to go to farm a particular node type or where you've opened chests at in the past. It does not replace the standard yellow dot on your minimap.

Gather does work with v1.12 with no problems.
09-25-06, 07:52 AM   #7
NLO
A Fallenroot Satyr

Thanks. It does sound very useful although gariig's got a point - Doesn't it clutter your world map a bit? Shouldn't there be an option (a button or something) when looking at it to turn on & off showing the herbs locations?

Originally Posted by Fin
I think, the easiest way for you to answer this question, would be to try it.
I'm awaiting my pre-paid card for WoW; Untill then, I can't try out anything, so I'm just kind of "preparing" mods for when it arrives
09-25-06, 08:20 AM   #8
fred
A Cobalt Mageweaver
you do have options of what you wanna see displayed on your map/minimap. And I have used it for a long time and I don't think it clutters it up at all. When mining or doing herbalism it's useful to know where to find those spots again to raies your levels or to farm . I , personally, wouldn't be without it now!!
09-25-06, 08:39 AM   #9
NLO
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by fred
you do have options of what you wanna see displayed on your map/minimap. And I have used it for a long time and I don't think it clutters it up at all. When mining or doing herbalism it's useful to know where to find those spots again to raies your levels or to farm . I , personally, wouldn't be without it now!!
Oh; So I CAN turn showing herb/mine location on the world map off when I'm not using the mod?
09-25-06, 09:27 AM   #10
fred
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by NLO
Oh; So I CAN turn showing herb/mine location on the world map off when I'm not using the mod?
There is a menu..but I use MetaMAp and it has the menu tied into that..so, w/out MetaMap I am unsure of where that toggle is .....but I believe it's right there on the minimap ( you'll see when you log in)
09-25-06, 09:39 AM   #11
sid67
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is just me, but I didn't like Gatherer. Besides all the clutter and performance issues, it seemed like whenever I went to go mine a node (because it indicated there was one there), someone else had already mined it. I did much better by just disabling it and keeping tracking on all the time.
09-25-06, 12:06 PM   #12
NLO
A Fallenroot Satyr

Great!

Thx! That was all I needed to know
09-25-06, 12:46 PM   #13
FallenDarkest
A Defias Bandit
For anyone who want to see the nodes offline, http://mapwow.com/ is the site that show all the nodes, herb, mine and crate. i use this sometime, but again it is gathered from the servers and merge their data together, so some nodes possible not be there. but it a worth to take a look. you must have javascript enabled to view the map

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » The "Gatherer"