05-27-09, 05:19 AM   #1
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A few bugs

A few bugs I encountered:

1. The installer incorrectly detected my operating system and CPU architecture. I am running Windows XP x64 Edition on (obviously) a 64-bit processor; the installer detected a 32-bit architecture and Windows 2003 (which actually does not exist; the closest thing would be Windows Server 2003).

2. The installer's license agreement started out scrolled to the very bottom.

3. After installation completed, I fired up the minion and let it scan my addons. The first thing on its list was "AFK Filter by Phanx", a personal addon I have never released anywhere (though there is an old addon released by someone else with the same name). The minion reported "Version 3.9 available!", and when right-clicking on the addon's name and selecting "More info..." I was directed to the download page for "Loot Filter" by Meter.

4. Several addons (they all seem to be addons that include multiple top-level folders in their download, like AtlasLoot and Bagnon) stuck at "Waiting for <addon name>..." forever.

5. Data Broker plugins whose names begin with "Broker" appear to be incorrectly detected as modules of a single addon, as the updater resolved the first one listed (folder name "Broker_Group", TOC title "Broker [Group]") and stuck the rest of them at "Waiting for Broker [Group]". Same goes for Button Facade skins ("Waiting for ButtonFacade...") and several other addons whose names begin with the same word (DamnAchievements, DamnQuestIcons; Improved Merchant, ImprovedAchievements; all FuBar plugins).

6. Non-basic-ASCII characters are incorrectly displayed. For example, the addon Endless lists "João Afonso Libório Cardoso (Jaliborc)" as its author in the TOC file, with proper UTF8 encoding; the minion reads "João Afonso Libório Cardoso (Jaliborc)".
05-27-09, 05:29 AM   #2
e7daniel
A Murloc Raider
What ive encountered, installed some addons ive never used before. reset settings of addons, redid my sharedmedia folder.

suggestions;
filter all the addons that are checked as "need to be updated" so they are sorted at the top of the list, add current version column.
05-27-09, 05:29 AM   #3
khurzog
A Frostmaul Preserver

mine is trying to (unsuccessfully) pick up HitsMode and FreeRefills, nether on wowi currently. also got a handful of other mods installed that were not there previously, but i made a separate thread for that. also the lack of a refresh button, and the inability to click the headers to sort are making navigation somewhat hard, but hey its beta so i won't complain (even though i just did)

UPDATE: so i clicked on more info for freerefills and was sent to http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info11245.html. garbage like that needs to be deleted or perma ignored by minion, its just spreading out-of-date mods.

Last edited by khurzog : 05-27-09 at 05:39 AM.
05-27-09, 06:50 AM   #4
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Mine's trying to update ones that are already up to date and I'm wondering where it's finding some of them. Not a comforting sight, even for a beta.
05-27-09, 08:29 AM   #5
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by khurzog
UPDATE: so i clicked on more info for freerefills and was sent to http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info11245.html. garbage like that needs to be deleted or perma ignored by minion, its just spreading out-of-date mods.
That file is in the wrong category. I've moved it. It should no longer be detected.

However, I don't know how much Minion is going to like the file just randomly disappearing from WoWI. Please let me know how that turns out.

Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
Mine's trying to update ones that are already up to date and I'm wondering where it's finding some of them. Not a comforting sight, even for a beta.
If you will read the FAQ, that's just Minion trying to resync itself for the first install. It will only do that once.

As for Phanx's comments:
1. I would tend to disagree with you. It's detecting what is being reported by the OS. Granted, Windows 2003 doesn't really mean much, but I get that straight from Java. However, if it's reporting 32-bit architecture, that's because your OS is reporting 32-bit architecture. If you read the warning, it will be complaining about a lack of 64-bit Java, not 64-bit Windows. You should re-check what you have installed.

2. I'm aware of that and looking for a solution.

3. Please post that on the bug page

4. Did you try updating the item it's waiting for? It's trying to figure out if it should ignore them in the future.

5. Again, after installing the item they're waiting for, this should be resolved. There's a difference between the statuses "Waiting for..." and "Installed by another addon"

6. Please post that bug as well
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Last edited by Shirik : 05-27-09 at 08:35 AM.
05-27-09, 06:08 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
1. I would tend to disagree with you. It's detecting what is being reported by the OS. Granted, Windows 2003 doesn't really mean much, but I get that straight from Java. However, if it's reporting 32-bit architecture, that's because your OS is reporting 32-bit architecture. If you read the warning, it will be complaining about a lack of 64-bit Java, not 64-bit Windows. You should re-check what you have installed.
Not to be confrontational, but what is there to disagree with? Nothing I posted was an opinion. I can take a screenshot of the installer and my system properties dialog if you believe the facts I stated are inaccurate.

(By the way, the system properties dialog correctly reports Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and a 64-bit CPU architecture; there is no mention of "Windows 2003".)

As for checking what I have installed, well, unless someone snuck into my apartment, backed up everything from my computer, reformatted my hard drive, installed a 32-bit operating system, and restored everything else exactly as it was, then yes, I am 100% sure that I have Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and no other operating system(s) on my machine. I assembled it and installed the OS myself, and have used only Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on my computers for the last 2-3 years.

As for the Java version warning, I didn't post anything about that.

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
4. Did you try updating the item it's waiting for? It's trying to figure out if it should ignore them in the future.

5. Again, after installing the item they're waiting for, this should be resolved. There's a difference between the statuses "Waiting for..." and "Installed by another addon"
I did not. As the very first addon on the list was misidentified, I decided against letting the Minion actually update anything, since I didn't feel like doing the backup dance at the time. I'll take your word for it that updating the item(s) being waited on will resolve those issues. I mainly installed the Minion to check it out; I don't really plan to use it over manual updating.

I've posted the other two issues in the bug tracker.
05-27-09, 06:15 PM   #7
Tereon
A Murloc Raider

The problem with the OS being misidentified is pretty simple:

a) Java has a simple table "OS Version Number -> OS Name"; that way, Windows 7 (which is Version Number 6.1) get's identified as Vista, and other minor oddities.

b) Platform architecture is determined by the Java VM you have running. So if you have installed the X86 Java VM (32 Bit) on a 64 bit system, it will identify your platform as x86. Not that it would matter, the app should be the same, which is the big advantage of Java - leave everything platform specific to the installed VM.

So, no need to get worked up about such minor issues :-)
05-27-09, 11:24 PM   #8
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
The app is not the same between 64 bit and 32 bit versions as it uses different libraries. I realize that you might have a 64-bit OS installed, but that still leaves the possibility of installing 32-bit Java. I currently haven't seen a single issue, in all programs, of Java reporting the wrong architecture. The only reason Java would report x86 instead of x64 is because the OS reported x86 instead of x64 which, sure enough, happens when Java 32-bit is installed. If Java is running as a 32-bit application, even in a 64-bit OS, the 32-bit version of Minion must be used. That's why I advised in the installer not to override it.

As for the OS name, honestly I think Java has a very strange algorithm for coming up with it. Windows 7 is also reported as Vista. In any case, that's not really as relevant.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » A few bugs