06-27-10, 12:21 PM   #1
Shinjite
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Exclamation Ad UAC Prompt Again :(

It's back. When I open Minion, and once an ad loads in the corner, I receive the UAC Prompt asking permission for the Internet Explorer Add-on Installer.

In a previous post (http://wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31523), I think it helped to have a screenshot of which ad was giving me a problem. In this case, the ads are for Red Baron Pizza and Assurance Wireless. I didn't get a screenshot of the Red Baron ad, but I'm attaching a screenshot of the Assurance Wireless ad.

I believe some of these ads are definitely trying to install something in IE, and possibly a security risk. Hope this helps the devs in some way.

06-27-10, 01:19 PM   #2
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Why not just disable UAC?

Start > Control Panel > Search 'UAC'

UAC really sucks and seems to attack things unnecessarily. Doubt the ad is malicious. Also, IE ftl.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
06-27-10, 02:35 PM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The dev team like to hear of things such as this so they can sort it out with their advertisers. For some folks disabling the UAC is not an option.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
06-27-10, 02:58 PM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Thanks Shinjite!

I'll let our ad team know about this asap. How often is the ad coming up? Also where are you located in the world again?
06-27-10, 04:06 PM   #5
Shinjite
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Wella View Post
Why not just disable UAC?

Start > Control Panel > Search 'UAC'

UAC really sucks and seems to attack things unnecessarily. Doubt the ad is malicious. Also, IE ftl.
If it is indeed malicious, I would prefer UAC to pop-up and ask me for permission. The UAC isn't the problem; it's the potential action trying to execute that is. And I agree, IE is horrible. Chrome and FF, FTW!

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Thanks Shinjite!

I'll let our ad team know about this asap. How often is the ad coming up? Also where are you located in the world again?
You're welcome, Dolby. In the past six times I've loaded Minion this week, I've gotten the Assurance ad five times, and the Red Baron pizza once. I'm on the East Coast, US.
06-29-10, 05:32 PM   #6
Shinjite
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Had another ad initiate the UAC again today. Thanks again for looking into these things, Dolby. Screenshot of this ad:

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Ad UAC Prompt Again :(