09-04-12, 11:28 AM   #1
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Faction from GetPlayerInfoByGUID()

It would be nice to have faction as a return from GetPlayerInfoByGUID(). Currently, lack of this information hinders the default language set support for addons that add custom languages. For now, this specifically applies to Pandaren since both factions share the same racial language.
09-04-12, 07:58 PM   #2
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api/UnitFactionGroup

Converting between GUID and unit is up to you.
09-05-12, 02:13 AM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

If you're using GetPlayerInfoByGUID, it's probably because you're dealing with people who are talking in chat, or doing something else where no UnitID is available.

If a UnitID was available, there'd be no reason to use GetPlayerInfoByGUID, because all of the information it provides -- class, race, gender, name, server -- is available through other, more specific, UnitID-based API functions.
11-30-12, 08:37 AM   #4
Billtopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I remember asking for this ability during the beta... One of my addons needs to be able to tell if a person is of the same faction from only the guid... and there is no way for me that doesn't introduce some sort of lag... I could try a search but then I have to make the addon wait for the who list update event... and then users would see I did it... If SendAddonChatMessage had a return value instead of printing the error to chat that could help too
11-30-12, 05:14 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

If you're getting GUIDs from chat (the usual reason for calling GetPlayerInfoByGUID) then you can determine the faction based on the message language.

Last edited by Phanx : 12-01-12 at 01:56 AM.
11-30-12, 05:51 PM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
If you're using GetPlayerInfoByGUID, it's probably because you're dealing with people who are talking in chat, or doing something else where no UnitID is available.
Yes, this is for code responding to chat events where there are no valid UnitIDs. An example is for a custom language addon like Tongues to be able to tell an Alliance Pandaren from a Horde one and act accordingly. Both factions use the [Pandaren] language tag for their racial languages. More specifically, this request was to add faction-specific icons for ChatLinkIcons in order to differentiate the same problem with the same race being available to both factions. Even though the character creation screen shows one button for Pandaren, there are actually two icons in the game files (one set of texcoords is the horizontal flipped image of the other set).

Last edited by SDPhantom : 11-30-12 at 06:02 PM.
12-01-12, 01:55 AM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Can't you use ChatFrame_AddMessageEventFilter and just catch the language argument (arg3) passed with the chat message? I can't recall the last time I saw anyone /say or /yell anything in a language other than their faction's default language, so just checking for Orcish or Common should catch 99% of cases.

Another option would be to do what BadBoy_Levels does to check levels, and attempt to add the player to your friends list and catch the result message. If it's successful, the player is part of your faction; if it failed, the player is of the opposing faction. This wouldn't work for cross-realm players, but I think the chances of someone of the opposite faction from another server /saying or /yelling anything in a non-default language are pretty slim.

Finally, SendAddonMessage doesn't need a return value, as it's trivial to catch the message printed to the chat frame when sending fails, and hide it from the user.

Last edited by Phanx : 12-01-12 at 01:59 AM.
12-01-12, 10:31 AM   #8
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Can't you use ChatFrame_AddMessageEventFilter and just catch the language argument (arg3) passed with the chat message? I can't recall the last time I saw anyone /say or /yell anything in a language other than their faction's default language, so just checking for Orcish or Common should catch 99% of cases.
As mentioned, even with the slim chance of it ever happening, the language passed isn't specific enough when dealing with the Pandaren racial language. This was one of the first solutions I checked out previously.

Another option would be to do what BadBoy_Levels does to check levels, and attempt to add the player to your friends list and catch the result message. If it's successful, the player is part of your faction; if it failed, the player is of the opposing faction. This wouldn't work for cross-realm players, but I think the chances of someone of the opposite faction from another server /saying or /yelling anything in a non-default language are pretty slim.
This method is similar to what GAOA does to check if a player is online, the only difference is it uses the addon channel to ping the chat server (not the player, resulting in an addon that works one-sided). If the server comes back with a player offline message, the addon reacts accordingly. Otherwise, it waits a timeout period before assuming the player is online. There may be better methods for that addon, but that's irrelevant at this moment.

As for the other addon examples, this may be an option, but for ChatLinkIcons, requesting additional data from the servers costs additional time that doesn't fit the time restraint I feel is appropriate.

Finally, SendAddonMessage doesn't need a return value, as it's trivial to catch the message printed to the chat frame when sending fails, and hide it from the user.
Did this get posted on the wrong thread?
12-01-12, 10:31 AM   #9
Billtopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I, myself, am using the guid from achievements and as such, I get no information that can tell me what faction besides race... now with the Pandaren, I am out of luck... There is no valid unit for me to check the affiliation with... I mean if Blizz is going to classify them as 3 different races then they should return 3 different race returns or supply some method for distinguishing from guid or something besides by units.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Wish List » Faction from GetPlayerInfoByGUID()