Quantcast
Snuggies...uhh, yeah...I don't get it. - WoWInterface
Thread Tools Display Modes
11-28-09, 12:30 PM   #1
Amenity
Guest
Posts: n/a
Snuggies...uhh, yeah...I don't get it.

So Black Friday's done with, and what was the big noteworthy seller this year?

Apparently Snuggies:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/28/news...rday/index.htm



It's a fleece blanket with sleeves. Yeah. Who is buying these?

I guess they're good for people who want to look like they're in either a church choir or some type of monastic cult:




And for mothers who want to pretend their infant is still in the womb (maybe as treatment for post-partum depression?):



But other than that...why can't you just have a regular blanket? Or, turn up the thermostat a couple notches/wear a normal long-sleeved warm article of clothing/move to Mallorca?
  Reply With Quote
11-28-09, 01:05 PM   #2
Sec
A Cyclonian
 
Sec's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 48
The second picture looks strange. I'll agree with you there.

Beyond that, I just can't share your point of view.


Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor%27s_Royal_Guard
  Reply With Quote
11-28-09, 05:04 PM   #3
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei
 
Zyonin's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,441
Living in Europe, I miss the "Black Friday" trends but then again when I was in the States, I made a point to ignore Black Friday unless for some reason I needed to make a trip to Fred Meyer for something (milk, munchies, beer, aspirin, etc.). So I don't see this "stuff". Anyway, Snuggies? The name makes it sound like something for little girls or something for your cat. A blanket with sleeves? OK... If I am cold, I will just crawl under the duvet on the couch, grab the remote and get cozy. The cat will usually join me on the couch. Of course I will then fall asleep and get woken up by alarm letting me know it's time to pickup my daughter from school...
__________________
Twitter
  Reply With Quote
11-28-09, 05:09 PM   #4
Dolby
PPAP
 
Dolby's Avatar
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,280
Yeah I don't really get it either. Give me a coat or a real blanket any day if its -20 outside. Otherwise I'm fine. I think its gonna be one of those things you look back at in 10yrs and people are embarrassed to admit they bought one.
  Reply With Quote
11-28-09, 07:57 PM   #5
MidgetMage55
Grinch!
 
MidgetMage55's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,498
Snuggie... its a freaking reverse bath-robe.


And to Sec. The Emperor is not pleased.
__________________

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 11-28-09 at 08:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote
11-28-09, 09:49 PM   #6
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 894
Don't see the reason these are so popular either .. they have a strange "cult" following.

Here is a nice parody called the WTF blanket.
  Reply With Quote
11-28-09, 09:57 PM   #7
Sec
A Cyclonian
 
Sec's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 48
I give a dancing banana as a peace offering.



Also, I can see the Snuggie being useful, mainly because of my own situation. In a nutshell, I live in a very old house with a poor layout for heat circulation. I can either spend $300 for 100 gallons of oil (for a furnace that doesn't work well) and it can last 1-2 months if making the house warm. Or I can buy a load of wood for $75-100 for my wood-burning fireplace insert and it can last 1 month, but the house's layout means most of the house still stays cold.

I of course wear season-appropriate clothes but still find myself cold. If I'm stationary, I am bundled in a blanket but yes, it does fall and generally is a pain. So, I can see a blanket with sleeves as being useful. Just as I can see a fleece bedrobe as being useful too. My house can get under 54 degrees Fahrenheit easily and heating it effectively is rather hard and expensive.

I really am not surprised to see an idea like the Snuggie take off, given the fact that as corny and novel as it is, people are using it either just as a stocking stuffer or to help them stay comfortable while trying to save money with the cost of heating.

Besides, it's better than getting a pair of socks for Christmas, right?

... Wow, this sounded serious, given the fact that the subject is Snuggie. XD

I do agree that the name sounds gimmicky though. D:
  Reply With Quote
11-28-09, 10:04 PM   #8
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)
 
Bluspacecow's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 770
I read the title and thought :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZV6LS5LvHs
__________________
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
  Reply With Quote
11-28-09, 10:05 PM   #9
Holyana
A Defias Bandit
 
Holyana's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
They are comfortable unless you are at the computer typing, then I always feel like I have to keep pulling it up around my neck and shoulders since it moves. Other than that, if you were just watching tv or reading or something, it would be pretty nice.
  Reply With Quote
11-28-09, 10:14 PM   #10
MidgetMage55
Grinch!
 
MidgetMage55's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,498
Originally Posted by Sec View Post
...
Besides, it's better than getting a pair of socks for Christmas, right?
That's all i ever ask for at Christmas. I love fresh pairs of socks hehe.

__________________

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
  Reply With Quote
11-28-09, 11:08 PM   #11
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Yhor's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,077
I like to be comfortable. That means no clothes (mostly). I want one of these to try out, and if I don't like it, my dogs get a new blanket for their bed.

And another upside.. cheap halloween costume... if you do halloween.
  Reply With Quote
11-29-09, 12:14 AM   #12
MidgetMage55
Grinch!
 
MidgetMage55's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,498
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I like to be comfortable. That means no clothes (mostly). I want one of these to try out, and if I don't like it, my dogs get a new blanket for their bed.

And another upside.. cheap halloween costume... if you do halloween.
The Mrs. and i got married on halloween. We threw it as a costume party. Its our favorite holiday but i cant imagine even using one of these as a costume lol.
__________________

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
  Reply With Quote
11-29-09, 12:38 AM   #13
zero-kill
A Firelord
 
zero-kill's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 497
I had one, it got turned into a dog/cat blanket inside of an hour after unpackaging it.
  Reply With Quote
11-29-09, 01:14 AM   #14
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 863
I want one of these personally.
  Reply With Quote
11-29-09, 09:06 AM   #15
Amenity
Guest
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Don't see the reason these are so popular either .. they have a strange "cult" following.

Here is a nice parody called the WTF blanket.
LOL, it's been a long time since I actually laughed at a YouTube vid. Thank you for starting my Sunday off on a good note!

Originally Posted by Sec View Post
I give a dancing banana as a peace offering.

The Federal Commission of Amenity accepts.

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I like to be comfortable. That means no clothes (mostly).
HAWT!

:lol:
  Reply With Quote
11-29-09, 12:24 PM   #16
Kleo
A Theradrim Guardian
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 62
Isn't "snuggies" also the name of a brand of diaper? That's totally what I thought you were talking about until I saw the picture.
  Reply With Quote
11-29-09, 12:48 PM   #17
Amenity
Guest
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by Kleo View Post
Isn't "snuggies" also the name of a brand of diaper? That's totally what I thought you were talking about until I saw the picture.
That's "Huggies":



Also, apparently Spock has been known to rock a Snuggie:

  Reply With Quote
11-29-09, 12:55 PM   #18
Kleo
A Theradrim Guardian
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 62
Ah, it was Snuggy diapers, not Snuggies. Still, pretty close.
  Reply With Quote
11-29-09, 04:02 PM   #19
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Petrah's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,988
lol ok... mild adult content warning here folks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kViZOw6B8M&NR=1
__________________
♪~ ( ) I My Sonos!
AddOn Authors: If your addon spams the chat box with "Addon v8.3.4.5.3 now loaded!", please add an option to disable it!
  Reply With Quote
11-29-09, 08:16 PM   #20
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Torhal's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,196
If you wish to speak of insanity, I present you with the Snuggie For Dogs.
__________________
Whenever someone says "pls" because it's shorter than "please", I say "no" because it's shorter than "yes".

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
  Reply With Quote

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Snuggies...uhh, yeah...I don't get it.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off