12-10-10, 07:39 AM   #1
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Carb and archaeology digsites...

Is it at all possible to get a "goto nearest digsite" function, that continually leads you to the closest digsite once the current one is emptied out?

12-10-10, 08:17 AM   #2
RustyXXL
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
This would be really sweet....always having to search them on the map is a little bit annoying ^^

12-10-10, 09:20 AM   #3
Potpie
A Kobold Labourer
Premium Member
Originally Posted by RustyXXL View Post
This would be really sweet....always having to search them on the map is a little bit annoying ^^
Are you serious? Annoying?
Archaeology is easy as pie with the default tools Blizzard has provided.

12-10-10, 10:03 AM   #4
oimmuk
An Aku'mai Servant
My question here is are they static locations...always at about the same coordinates, if so it would be a simple matter to list the locations per zone, but since I just started it yesterday I find that the dig sites open up as you go a long...Take for example I was in NoSTV and found one, once it was done I checked the map and found no others in that zone, so I went to SoSTV and found two. Once those were done I checked the map and lo and behold there was now another site in NoSTV. So as I stated earlier they open up as you dig them, but a list of coords would be nice sort of like the mining/herd locations on the minimap...it just shows the place where one has been found but does not guarantee that it will be there every time.

12-10-10, 10:10 AM   #5
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by oimmuk View Post
My question here is are they static locations...always at about the same coordinates, if so it would be a simple matter to list the locations per zone, but since I just started it yesterday I find that the dig sites open up as you go a long...Take for example I was in NoSTV and found one, once it was done I checked the map and found no others in that zone, so I went to SoSTV and found two. Once those were done I checked the map and lo and behold there was now another site in NoSTV. So as I stated earlier they open up as you dig them, but a list of coords would be nice sort of like the mining/herd locations on the minimap...it just shows the place where one has been found but does not guarantee that it will be there every time.
There are four in each continent (Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor) at any given time; once one is depleted, another opens up somewhere else on the continent. It also takes into account character level - a level 20 character wouldn't be sent to a level 50 zone.

I'm sure the location for each digsite can be retrieved somehow, since Carbonite can actually display them, and from there it should (I believe) be a simple matter of using the guide algorithm to decide which is closest and set a goto there.

12-10-10, 01:11 PM   #6
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I started doing archaeology yesterday. I will be looking into what can be done with the locations.

12-10-10, 09:07 PM   #7
Puck
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
There are four in each continent (Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor) at any given time; once one is depleted, another opens up somewhere else on the continent. It also takes into account character level - a level 20 character wouldn't be sent to a level 50 zone.

I'm sure the location for each digsite can be retrieved somehow, since Carbonite can actually display them, and from there it should (I believe) be a simple matter of using the guide algorithm to decide which is closest and set a goto there.
I think what he means is tracking the actual location of the item found, not the "dig area" that you can search in. Like if you find a tablet at 45.2 , 55.9 and in two days you get another dig area in that area, carbonite could track that exact spot and say "hey, you've found them here before, try it first" type thing. That's what I gather when I read his question.

12-11-10, 02:28 AM   #8
RustyXXL
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Well, i think it would be enough to always point to the nearest of the 4 Digsites, as I have to open the map, zoom out and find the next digsite, place a goto there and close the map again, after every digsite, which is my only concern. It would be nice to see where you already dug up something, but I wouldn't need that....

12-11-10, 06:06 AM   #9
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
I started doing archaeology yesterday. I will be looking into what can be done with the locations.
Awesome! Thanks in advance!

12-11-10, 11:10 AM   #10
topgun998
A Kobold Labourer
Just FYI, the positions of the artifacts in digsites also seem to be static. So if those got saved, you could take a general bearing on your spyglass and speed up the process significantly

12-11-10, 02:50 PM   #11
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I had a case last night where all 3 items were in the same spot, so it is probably just a set of nodes at a dig site. Recording them as a type of gather might be the way to go.

12-12-10, 03:46 AM   #12
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Added gathering of Archeology nodes. Display using Gather section of Guide.
Will be in next version.

Still not sure of the final UI. Needs more thought.

12-12-10, 04:04 AM   #13
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Testing 4.032003 and I went to a digsite I had previously gathered 3 nodes from. One of the new nodes matched a recorded one. Curious to see the average number of spawn points at a site.

Get 4.032003 beta here:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=37462

12-15-10, 03:28 AM   #14
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Now that there's (probably) been some time for testing out Arcaeology, I thought I'd give this a bump to hear if it's possible to see the feature I'm hoping for.

To reiterate, what I'd really like to see is a "goto nearest digsite" function. Once activated, the HUD arrow would point me to where the closest digsite on the continent is. It would keep the arrow there for as long as artefacts could be found there, and when the digsite is exhausted, the arrow would instantly point to where the closest active digsite is.

This is opposed to how I currently do it - zoom all the way out to see the digsite shovel icons, put my mouse pointer square on top of one, zoom in enough so that the icon disappears, right click and select goto, go there, survey, then once exhausted, zoom all the way out to look for the next digsite.

Would also be awesome if this "goto nearest digsite" function also activated drawing the artefact "nodes" on the map.

12-15-10, 07:59 AM   #15
projecthate
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
Now that there's (probably) been some time for testing out Arcaeology, I thought I'd give this a bump to hear if it's possible to see the feature I'm hoping for.

To reiterate, what I'd really like to see is a "goto nearest digsite" function. Once activated, the HUD arrow would point me to where the closest digsite on the continent is. It would keep the arrow there for as long as artefacts could be found there, and when the digsite is exhausted, the arrow would instantly point to where the closest active digsite is.

This is opposed to how I currently do it - zoom all the way out to see the digsite shovel icons, put my mouse pointer square on top of one, zoom in enough so that the icon disappears, right click and select goto, go there, survey, then once exhausted, zoom all the way out to look for the next digsite.

Would also be awesome if this "goto nearest digsite" function also activated drawing the artefact "nodes" on the map.
Hate to direct you away from Carbonite on the Carbonite forum, but in the meantime there are a number of lightweight addons that may fill this need until it is added to Carbonite. However, it seems like you'll still be using Carbonite either way... Have a look at Archy. I haven't done much with it and it seems like it may need TomTom installed to work the way you want it to, but it could be worth trying.

12-15-10, 02:07 PM   #16
Jigain
A Molten Giant

While I appreciate the tip, I think I'll have to decline the option of using that addon. On it's list of features, out of the ten I was only interested in that one feature, and I don't feel the need for it that bad that I need to install another addon to do that plus nine unnecessary things. Especially when there's no indication whether or not the individual features can be toggled on/off.

Nonetheless, if anyone else wants to improve their archaeology timesink, that addon sure looks like a great way to do it. Furthermore, it confirms that you actually can get the position of the closest digsite through addon coding, and I'm really hoping to see this in Carbonite.

12-16-10, 10:54 AM   #17
RustyXXL
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Well I tried Archy and the Problem is while the Lists are cool, and the tomtom waypoints work pretty good with carbonites Tomtom emulation and give me exact the Thing I wanted, Archy spams the Minimap button window with about 20 icons for the digsites. this makes this List reach down all the way, overlapping one of my cast-bars and destroys my whole layout. On Top of that it pushes the only Minimap-Symbol I regular use off-screen.
So the whole point is, it would be really nice if Carbonite had this one feature (a guide always pointing to the nearest digsite, so I know where to fly next) build in.

12-16-10, 05:55 PM   #18
projecthate
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
While the feature being requested in this thread would be great for leveling Archaeology, I think it would be even better if you could route to digsites for specific race fragments, especially for max Archaeology. Since each dig site is of a specific race and each race yields certain items, once you've maxed your Archaeology I assume you'll find yourself choosing which digsites to hit based on what items you seek. Thoughts on difficulty of this implementation once the ability to route all nodes is there?

12-16-10, 08:58 PM   #19
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Actually, the best deal would be to have Carbonite survey your dig sites and collect the fragments for you, all while you're sitting in Orgrimmar.

12-16-10, 11:33 PM   #20
projecthate
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
Actually, the best deal would be to have Carbonite survey your dig sites and collect the fragments for you, all while you're sitting in Orgrimmar.
You joke, but there is the ability to route only specific mining and herb nodes so I don't think it would be much different to have the same for Archaeology.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carb and archaeology digsites...