12-28-18, 03:19 PM   #1
Mushoz
A Kobold Labourer
8.1 Very Poor Performance

I am experiencing very poor performance from Addons utilizing Otravi Unit Frames since the Tides of Vengeance 8.1 patch. I initially thought it was an Elvui specific bug, but it turns out it might be located in Otravi Unit Frames or perhaps even Blizzard's API.

Problem: Whenever I enter combat in raids, my FPS absolutely tanks to 1-20 FPS. This happens with only Elvui enabled with default settings, and all other addons disabled. This also happens with Vuhdo only enabled, another oUF addon.

What I tried to fix the issue: I have tried completely reinstalling World of Warcraft, installing only Elvui or Vuhdo and leaving everything to the default settings, but the issue remains. Disabling the addon and my FPS is fine (50-60+ depending on fight).

Important observations: Profiling shows that some event calls go crazy high with the addons enabled versus disabled. The biggest offender seems to be UNIT_HEALTH by a very large margin, but there are also an unusually high number of calls to UNIT_POWER_UPDATE, UNIT_ABSORB_AMOUNT_CHANGED and UNIT_HEAL_PREDICTION.

Other useful sources of information: I initially reported this to Elvui bug tracker, this conversation can be found here: https://git.tukui.org/elvui/elvui/issues/924

Is anyone else experiencing this issue, and more importantly, does anyone happen to know a fix? The Elvui tracker has some reports of others with the same issue, and I also found this forum topic: https://www.tukui.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4614

FYI, this hasn't been an issue before 8.1. Thank you very much in advance for any help and information
12-28-18, 06:14 PM   #2
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Would you mind trying out my layout (comes with oUF embedded) instead of VuhDo/ElvUI? Some layout/compilation creators tend to do odd things to circumvent certain parts of oUF, of which we are aware of are very bad for performance.

Also, are you showing nameplates with oUF during these drops?

As for possible API issues from Blizzard's end, we are aware of some issues in regards of performance with health events, thus we can't control it.
01-23-19, 05:43 AM   #3
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by JosephMosqued View Post
I think you should update your hard and soft. What specifics has your computer?
It's a legit issue which was addressed in oUF 9.0.

It's caused by bugs in Blizz API, but they highlighted shortcomings of our own event system. So it's a blessing in disguise

Last edited by lightspark : 01-23-19 at 05:46 AM.
01-24-19, 10:03 AM   #4
Coldkil
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
It's a legit issue which was addressed in oUF 9.0.

It's caused by bugs in Blizz API, but they highlighted shortcomings of our own event system. So it's a blessing in disguise
I suppose i should update then (though current UI has been done during BfA from scratch). I didn't experience huge fps drops but maybe they system is overkill for WoW so i didn't notice.
01-25-19, 05:47 AM   #5
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
I suppose i should update then (though current UI has been done during BfA from scratch). I didn't experience huge fps drops but maybe they system is overkill for WoW so i didn't notice.
You'd notice performance degradation if you used oUF for raid frames and/or nameplates because of the sheer number of those frames.

And yeah, it hit some people harder than others, prob due to hardware differences.
02-08-19, 12:33 PM   #6
GreyFox777
A Cliff Giant
no single lag for my own layout

https://ibb.co/NSbMnSc

Only lags i have if raid has 30+ ppl. Even with all addons disabled it laggs. So it just probably your CPU.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » 8.1 Very Poor Performance