08-19-17, 11:08 AM   #1
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Step for New Author

I am close to feeling comfortable with releasing two addons, an XP bar and a Rep Bar (I like them to be separate). I have looked at the various posts and am not clear of the process for a new author to get started. Pointers to the right posts or simply listing said steps is appreciated.
08-19-17, 12:08 PM   #2
briskman3000
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Here's what I do, I have my source code hosted on GitHub so it makes it easier for me.

Initial Release:

1. I set up the project on CurseForge: https://wow.curseforge.com/addons/create

2. After creating the project, I go into the settings for the project and select the source option and select GitHub and fill in the address. Also on that screen I choose Package Tagged Commits.

3. I then follow the instructions on this page to set up GitHub to automatically push releases over to CurseForge. https://www.curseforge.com/docs/packaging

4. Once I push an initial release to CurseForge, I manually download the zip file from files tab in the CursForge project. Pushing to CurseForge is simple as if you set everything up correctly, when you draft a new release on GitHub, it will automatically be pushed to CurseForge.

5. I then create the addon project here on wowinterface at http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/upload-update.php Select the main category for your addon in the Upload New Interface/Addon box and then it will move you to a screen where you can enter all the data and upload the file.

Note: Make sure you have a picture of the addon to include on both websites, as they are required for approval. (at least on Curse)

CurseForge you put the picture as the Image/Logo in the project settings and on WoWInterface you add it to the attachments section when you are creating the addon.

New Versions:

For new versions of released addons, I just draft a release on github, and then pull the zip from curse and upload it to wowinterface.

Last edited by briskman3000 : 08-19-17 at 12:12 PM.
08-19-17, 01:39 PM   #3
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

For WoWInterface and Curse there is the FAQ if you haven't already read thoseDo read this sticky: Useful Information / Tools / Links for Developers
If you have more questions you can ask them once you have tried setting up an addon

Last edited by Ketho : 08-19-17 at 01:44 PM.
08-19-17, 02:29 PM   #4
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Thanks, I think I am most of the way there. If I set up github correctly, how long does it take for my files to show up on CurseForge?
08-19-17, 02:30 PM   #5
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

License Qustion

I am using MIT. Good, bad, ugly? lol
08-19-17, 03:21 PM   #6
briskman3000
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by JDoubleU00 View Post
Thanks, I think I am most of the way there. If I set up github correctly, how long does it take for my files to show up on CurseForge?
If you set it up correctly, after you publish the release on github the file usually shows up under a minute. The longer process is waiting for the file to get approved so that it populates into the public area for download by others via curse, curseforge, twitch app.
08-23-17, 09:51 AM   #7
Rainrider
A Firelord
Originally Posted by JDoubleU00 View Post
I am using MIT. Good, bad, ugly? lol
MIT is perfect in my eyes. Short and clear. There are quite a few discussions about licensing and enforcing licenses here, read through them if you are interested.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Step for New Author