11-06-12, 02:54 AM   #1
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Lightbulb SGI code fix needed

Hello,

I'm looking for someone who can help me a bit with the SuperGuildInvite addon.
This addon scans your server and whisper + invite guildless players basically.

My problem is the new 6.x versions are at least half effective as the old 5.x were because the addon sends out the invite itself way before the whisper. This few seconds delay between the invite and the whisper disturbs a lot of people and they often skip the invites even before they receive the attached whispers.

What I'm looking for is to invert the delay so people will receive the whispers first THEN the invite. It would be way polite.

I'm already asked the author to do this but he/she doesn't seem to be active. Can anyone help me if there's a simple way to edit the code to reverse the delay or to give more delay to invite?

Last edited by Voxxel : 11-06-12 at 02:58 AM.
11-06-12, 03:55 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm sure it's possible, but I feel it is my moral duty as a player who prefers not to annoy of other players by spamming them with unsolicited guild invitations to say that I won't help you, sorry. Really, it's very, very obnoxious to get whispers from what are basically bots every 30 seconds. Even if I wanted to be in a guild, I wouldn't join the one you're spamming me about. Try being unguilded for 5 minutes on a populated server, and then think long and hard about whether you really want to resort to such unpleasant tactics to grow your guild roster. I hope the answer is "no".
11-06-12, 04:46 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
To add to this... Even if you were to switch the order, it would still be an unsolicited guild invite. The whisper first does take away from the annoy factor until you realize that a) it's an addon sending the whisper and b) you get an invite whether you want one or not.

That said... IIRC, invites cannot be sent by addons automatically anymore - they require a hardware event.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-07-12, 04:01 AM   #4
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
[...] and b) you get an invite whether you want one or not.
This is completely wrong.
People who don't want to be disturbed by guild invite popups have an option to block all guild invites. They using it frequently.

Although you both get a point on some factors of considering this addon's way to invite people as an unsolicited method, I think its not so offensive since clients have an option (see above) plus the addon has an advanced blacklist function so I can't just whisper a character 2 times on the same day or at all (permaban the already asked chars).

Well, to be honest I'm with you on this one, you see I'm using this addon in "Only whisper" mode since I found out the disturbing way of how the new version works. I'm just trying to lower the frustration that it causes that's why I'm asked you for some coding help.

Last edited by Voxxel : 11-07-12 at 04:03 AM.
11-07-12, 04:28 PM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Personally, I think that getting a whispered Guild invitation is no less intrusive and annoying than getting the Guild invitation pop-up. Although, between the two, I would just rather not get one at all. That's what, in my opinion, the "Guild Finder" is for and if someone wants to join your Guild, they'll send that Guild a join request.
This is completely wrong.
People who don't want to be disturbed by guild invite popups have an option to block all guild invites. They using it frequently.
However, as I'm sure you are well aware, that option will not block Guild invitations sent via the "Whisper" channel. Less annoying then a pop-up on your screen? Nope. Just as annoying, though.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 11-07-12 at 04:35 PM.
11-07-12, 08:29 PM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I had an idea a long time ago, during WotLK, to make an advertisement bot that would only work in public channels (General, Trade, etc.) The idea was it would keep track of every zone channel you enter and every 5 mins per zone channel, it would send a custom advertisement that the user would set. I had a working prototype at the time I scrapped it. I just got bored of it and didn't feel like finishing.
11-07-12, 09:51 PM   #7
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I had an idea a long time ago, during WotLK, to make an advertisement bot that would only work in public channels (General, Trade, etc.) The idea was it would keep track of every zone channel you enter and every 5 mins per zone channel, it would send a custom advertisement that the user would set. I had a working prototype at the time I scrapped it. I just got bored of it and didn't feel like finishing.
Guild Recruitment Helper

You reminded me about this one with your description. No auto inviting or directly whispering, just good ole fashioned advertising.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » SGI code fix needed