03-17-14, 07:19 AM   #1
Shana16
A Murloc Raider
Looking for MMORPG-players for my Master Dissertation

Hey, everyone!

I’m writing my Master dissertation on MMORPG’s and I was wondering if you MMORPG-players could help me out? Could you please fill in this survey about MMORPG’s? It will only take 10 minutes of your time.

Everything you fill in will be processed anonymously and will not be used for commercial purposes.

Here is the link: This survey was closed on the 30th of March at 4PM (GMT+1)

More than 1150 people participated in this survey. So thank you to all who participated!

You can expect the results between the 25-30th of June (because by then I will have finished my oral defense of my master dissertation and my exams)

Last edited by Shana16 : 03-30-14 at 09:00 AM.
03-17-14, 07:37 AM   #2
Be3f.
A Theradrim Guardian

Done - 10 chars
03-17-14, 07:38 AM   #3
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The amount of advert-related questions made this feel like a commissioned survey more than an academic one ...

Regardless, filled.
03-17-14, 07:50 AM   #4
Shana16
A Murloc Raider
Thank you for filling in the survey!

It is research for the University of Antwerp in Belgium so I can assure you it isn't used for commercial purposes
03-17-14, 10:06 AM   #5
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Good questions.
03-17-14, 10:48 AM   #6
Shana16
A Murloc Raider
Thank you
03-17-14, 12:54 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
The amount of advert-related questions made this feel like a commissioned survey more than an academic one ...

Regardless, filled.
Same. Also, I felt like the setup of many of the questions was deceptive. For example, when you ask me 10 times in a row how I feel about in-game advertisements, and some of the questions are phrased as "Do you like it?" and others are phrased as "Do you hate it?" I feel like you're trying to trick me into checking the wrong box and accidentally saying I like advertising. Do you really need to ask the same question so many times in so many slightly different ways? The whole survey could have been shortened to probably 25% of its current length by removing all the duplicate questions.

I also got a little of the "all gamers are socially inept losers playing from mom's basement" feel that many of these surveys exude, what with being asked (several times) whether I play the game to escape from my real life. Why are most of the "why do you play the game" options negatives? I don't play the game to harrass other players or "make myself powerful" (to compensate for being weak and powerless IRL, I suppose is the implication there )... I play the game because I actually enjoy the game content and mechanics, and because I enjoy tinkering with the UI (though I accept that UI modding is outside the scope of your survey).

Last edited by Phanx : 03-17-14 at 12:59 PM.
03-17-14, 02:09 PM   #8
Shana16
A Murloc Raider
The reason why the questions are the same is to measure the consistency of your answers and to know your not just box-checking everything in the same column. It is a check-up used by researchers and definitely not to make you like advertising, since it is your true opinion that matters. This preserves the validity of the results and it also the reason why the survey is quite lengthy.

I'm sorry the questions about the motivations of playing an MMORPG made you feel that way. Those questions are actually not my own but of another research that I used, once again to preserve the validity of the results since those questions are quite extensively tested. Those questions are used to test which kind of MMORPG-player you are. I, myself, play for the same reason as you, because I enjoy the game content (mostly I play RPG's as Final Fantasy).So I do not think all gamers fit the stereotypical image of the nerdy guy in his mothers basement. That would after al be an insult to myself
03-17-14, 03:05 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

I understand the reasoning, but asking the same question literally 10 times in a row on the same page seems rather excessive. Most surveys I've seen that include duplicate questions do it more subtly, eg. including the same question with different wording once on each of several different pages. If the user is aware that you think they're lazy and/or stupid, and that you're testing to make sure they're paying attention to a survey they already indicated they're willing to complete even though they're nothing in it for them, that doesn't seem like a good approach.

Also, that reasoning doesn't explain the "synonym list" block, where all the negative words are on the left and all the positive words are on the right -- the only reason anyone wouldn't want to check all the boxes in the same column there would be if they didn't understand English well enough to understand some of the words.
03-17-14, 04:23 PM   #10
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I answered the survey. I would like to add there wasn't very much context to the questions, especially the advertising, but sometimes context was lacking in other areas.

For example, I generally dislike advertising in a game I would pay money to buy, or subscribe monthly. However, I understand the point that the ad as presented was meant to be obtrusive; a similar ad designed to graphically fit would be far more acceptable. Yes, even in a MMORPG.

I would hate seeing it, but an ad for some drink designed to fit with the graphic style, and up on the wall beside the inn could be done.

When I think of advertising, maybe because like everyone else, I see it all over sports arenas and race tracks, that seems a better place for a game version. Also, when you get into games like Call of Duty, if I were to wander through Brussels, Rome, or New York and did not see ads, that might be weird.

Further, any game that has advertisements means it is subsidized to an extent, just like product placements in a movie. That means the game's retail or ongoing cost should be reduced. Paying full price for a game that has ads everywhere is outright price gouging, if not stealing from a certain point of view.
03-18-14, 07:12 AM   #11
Shana16
A Murloc Raider
@Phanx: I completely understand that it can be quite annoying to fill in questions that ask the same thing but those questions are standard scales (scales exist out of a set number of questions that are previously tested). I cannot just remove some questions because that would be unscientific of me and would probably cause me to fail my dissertation. The synonym list block is called a semantic differentiation scale and is commonly used in the social sciences.

I certainly do not think any of you are stupid or lazy, I merely have to abide by certain rules of my university to create a survey. Thanks for filling in the survey, I do appreciate it.

@myrroddin: thank you for filling in the survey and you interesting comment about it

If you all want me to, I can post the results when I have analyzed everything (this will probably be at the end of May or in June).
03-27-14, 01:40 PM   #12
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Filled in.

For 2 reasons : 1. Gamer, 2 Belgian :P

I would say something in Dutch, but I doubt people would appreciate it. In any case; am from Leuven.

I did get the feeling it was more about Advertising in games then about games itself. But I am assuming that is the actual topic of your dissertation.
03-28-14, 03:11 AM   #13
Shana16
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
Filled in.

For 2 reasons : 1. Gamer, 2 Belgian :P

I would say something in Dutch, but I doubt people would appreciate it. In any case; am from Leuven.

I did get the feeling it was more about Advertising in games then about games itself. But I am assuming that is the actual topic of your dissertation.
Thanks for filling it in!

Belgium I'm from Beveren, next to Antwerp.

Maybe
03-28-14, 10:36 AM   #14
10leej
A Molten Giant

Well that took me longer than 10 minutes but the batteries in my mouse died and I could find new ones for a bit. So that might be why.
03-29-14, 05:47 AM   #15
Shana16
A Murloc Raider
A really big thanks to all those who filled out the survey. I'm closing this survey tomorrow (30/03) around 4PM (GMT+1 time). So anyone who wants to fill in the survey can still do this today and your participation will of course be appreciated. I'll also let you know tomorrow when in June you can expect the results.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Looking for MMORPG-players for my Master Dissertation