01-25-07, 10:25 PM   #1
yssaril
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Talking Crazy idea

How about creating a modular Addon that instead of running lua code straight it would have all its code saved in variables which would be saved in the WTF folder executed by a small peice of lua code. each string would stand for one function in the addon and would be restricted to 255 characters.

now you might ask whats the point of this?

simple if you have everything in variables and saved in your WTF then there is nothing stopping me from being able to allow the addon to communicate with others using the same addon and check if they have a new version and if they do they could pack up their variables into strings and send them over to me and i would reevaluate them as variables

this would allow easy distribution of new versions to say guild mates of an addon

am gonna make a proof of concept of this just to make sure it actually can be done

tell me what you think

~Yssaril
01-25-07, 10:29 PM   #2
Cluke
A Kobold Labourer
that wood be nice but it would not work with big addons
01-25-07, 10:33 PM   #3
yssaril
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
not sure why it wouldnt work in big addons
might get messy in partitioning the code and such but it should work (would then also add a msg sending throttle so that the update wont disconnect u)

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Crazy idea