12-15-14, 08:41 AM   #1
Norek
A Murloc Raider

Need TipTac replacement

Hi folks! Been using TipTac for a long time now, unfortunately the creator doesn't play anymore, so its a little broken ATM and I'm trying to find a replacement, without much luck -.- Was hoping someone would know of one I just haven't found yet!

What I'm looking for it to do
-movable anchor (I put mine up top center for example)
-buttons and mousing over things like items in your bags etc show tooltip there
-colour based on hostility

bonus things TipTac does that I can live without but would like
-tooltip of players/npcs shows their target
-tooltip of buffs shows who applied the buff

I think that's about it, in the sea of addons I haven't had much luck finding something!
12-15-14, 12:14 PM   #2
MiRai
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Is there something in your list that's broken when using TipTac? I have no complaints about it with WoD so far. I personally anchor the tooltip to my mouse cursor with a bit of offset, but I just checked to see if I could anchor the tooltip in the upper left and I could, however it still anchors the tooltip to the mouse cursor when mousing over items in your bag (which sounds like what you want anyway).

If you're still looking for a replacement, there's an entire section of add-ons dedicated to just tooltips - http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/index.php?cid=98

EDIT: Sorry, you said top center, but it doesn't matter since the tooltip can be anchored to wherever you want to drag the anchor to.
12-15-14, 12:46 PM   #3
Norek
A Murloc Raider

Yeah current issue with TipTac is tooltips completely disappearing randomly, and you have to reload to get them back.

I did browse through that section, and while it is completely devoted to tooltips, it also has a TON of stuff that merely effects the tooltips (adds info to them in some way), but isn't a tooltip mod on its own, I went through a dozen pages or so and only found 3 actual tooltip mods, one of which was TipTac :P the other two were both quite old as well and did only a few things.
12-15-14, 01:09 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...27-TipTop.html ?
12-15-14, 01:25 PM   #5
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
I have not had a single problem with TipTac once the WoD version was released.
12-15-14, 01:35 PM   #6
Norek
A Murloc Raider

Awesome, I'll check it out, thank you Phanx

Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
I have not had a single problem with TipTac once the WoD version was released.
While thats great for your Fizzle, that doesn't really help me any since I am having problems with it, and so are other users if you check the posts on both here and curse.
12-15-14, 02:10 PM   #7
MiRai
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Yeah current issue with TipTac is tooltips completely disappearing randomly, and you have to reload to get them back.
I thought this behavior was a problem with the default UI since 6.0.2 (I've seen other non-TipTac users report this on my server), but either way, mousing over something on the Minimap has always brought the tooltip back for me with needing a /reload.

EDIT: Here's some posts from Blizzard's tech support forum of people reporting the same issue with no add-ons.

Last edited by MiRai : 12-15-14 at 02:27 PM.
12-15-14, 02:26 PM   #8
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Thumbs up

Awesome, I'll check it out, thank you Phanx

While thats great for your Fizzle, that doesn't really help me any since I am having problems with it, and so are other users if you check the posts on both here and curse.
I recommend TipTop as well.
12-15-14, 02:58 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
I thought this behavior was a problem with the default UI since 6.0.2 (I've seen other non-TipTac users report this on my server), but either way, mousing over something on the Minimap has always brought the tooltip back for me with needing a /reload.
I have seen this issue on two occasions with my own tooltip addon but both times it was limited to a specific NPC -- mousing over the NPC would show the tooltip for a fraction of a second before hiding it, but mousing over anything else showed the tooltip normally. After reloading the UI, the tooltip also worked fine for the problem NPC.
12-15-14, 03:28 PM   #10
Norek
A Murloc Raider

EDIT: Here's some posts from Blizzard's tech support forum of people reporting the same issue with no add-ons.
Well then, I suppose its good to know that its blizzards fault for a change :P (cuz that never happens right?)

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I have seen this issue on two occasions with my own tooltip addon but both times it was limited to a specific NPC -- mousing over the NPC would show the tooltip for a fraction of a second before hiding it, but mousing over anything else showed the tooltip normally. After reloading the UI, the tooltip also worked fine for the problem NPC.
I've heard of this one Phanx, someone on the TipTac page mentioned that it was because the NPC for some reason had a title or something that was just a blank space, and caused the tooltip to lifequit temporarily.
12-15-14, 08:47 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
TipTop users have experienced this issue as well.

/edit: thanks, MiRai for the link.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-16-14, 12:13 PM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've only ever needed TipTacTalents to show talent specs (all other tooltip info is built into ElvUI). I've been wondering what was causing the random dissapearing tooltips, but kept forgetting to check into the cause. Thanks for letting me know what it was!!!
12-17-14, 02:18 AM   #13
MiRai
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I've only ever needed TipTacTalents to show talent specs (all other tooltip info is built into ElvUI). I've been wondering what was causing the random dissapearing tooltips, but kept forgetting to check into the cause. Thanks for letting me know what it was!!!
But if you had kept reading the thread you would have learned that it wasn't TipTac causing the disappearing issue.

Last edited by MiRai : 12-17-14 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Grammar
12-18-14, 10:10 PM   #14
Voyager
A Fallenroot Satyr

It's an issue with the minimap tracking icon tooltips.
Easy to reproduce, mouse over some tracking icon that is close to the edge of the minimap, then quickly move the mouse out across the edge of the minimap, now world tooltips will no longer function.
12-18-14, 10:14 PM   #15
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Thanks - don't know how I had skimmed over that bit in MiRai's post - must've headed straight to the forum threads linked.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-19-14, 02:37 AM   #16
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Easy to reproduce, mouse over some tracking icon that is close to the edge of the minimap, then quickly move the mouse out across the edge of the minimap, now world tooltips will no longer function.
The last time it happened to me, the mouse was nowhere near the minimap, and I was getting a tooltip when mousing over a world object (a book) about 100px away from the NPC whose tooltip would occasionally appear for about 0.1 seconds before vanishing, but usually didn't show up at all when mousing over it. Could be a different issue, though.
12-19-14, 04:02 AM   #17
MiRai
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
That was it. I was able to reproduce the issue on my first attempt, with and without TipTac -- Mystery solved.

Obvious, But Not So Obvious Tip: If someone else is trying to reproduce this and you can't get the nodes to appear next to the edge of the minimap (e.g. If you don't have a Lumber Mill and aren't tracking Timber) then you can zoom your minimap in to force other gathering nodes (Ore/Herbs) to appear close to the edge.

Also, this bug doesn't seem to trigger from skull icon rares on the minimap, only "yellow dot" nodes as far as I can tell.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Need TipTac replacement