08-31-12, 10:46 PM   #1
jarda128
A Cyclonian
Minion or Curse client ?

My friends use curse client for addons management ....
So i tried it and i like it...
But also like Wowinterface because it has good forums,many good addons are distributed through it ...
So when i hear about minion,i was interested about it ...
What is better by your opinion?
Which database of addons is bigger ?
Can be clients running only sometimes ? for example when new patch comes live ?

thank you for your answer ...
09-01-12, 01:02 AM   #2
karmamuscle
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
They aren't developing on the mmo minion any longer.
See this thread http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43895
09-01-12, 02:15 PM   #3
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by jarda128 View Post
My friends use curse client for addons management ....
So i tried it and i like it...
But also like Wowinterface because it has good forums,many good addons are distributed through it ...
You can still use the site, forums, and get addons here if you wish.
Which database of addons is bigger ?
Curse has more addons. Keep in mind that most authors host their projects on both sites; however, there are exceptions where you can only find ThisAddon or ThatAddon on one site because of author preference. For myself, I am guilty of updating to Curse first because it is so fluid and fast, and I sometimes forget to upload to WowInterface until hours, perhaps days, later. Other authors do the reverse.
Can be clients running only sometimes ? for example when new patch comes live?
You can run the Curse Client at the same time as the game. The only reason you would do that is if you went into the Tools, Options, Plugins, and turned on the WowStead and WowDB syncing. If your guild does not use WowStead, don't turn that on, but the WowDB is useful for everybody.

Oddly, the Curse Client will not upload unless it is running while you play; there is no way to upload manually.
Originally Posted by ckramme View Post
They aren't developing on the mmo minion any longer.
See this thread http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43895
That's huge news, but since I never used Minion, no wonder I missed it.
09-01-12, 04:25 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
  • Minion does still work. We just aren't actively developing it.
  • You need to make sure that you have Java Version 6 for it though, not Java 7 (the current version). Just Google it, it's easy to find.
  • Yes, you can just run Minion whenever you want, you don't need to run it all the time.
  • If you are running both Minion and Curse Client, make sure that your addons aren't being updated by both of them, as they'll overwrite one another.
09-01-12, 05:55 PM   #5
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
  • Minion does still work. We just aren't actively developing it.
  • You need to make sure that you have Java Version 6 for it though, not Java 7 (the current version). Just Google it, it's easy to find.
  • Yes, you can just run Minion whenever you want, you don't need to run it all the time.
  • If you are running both Minion and Curse Client, make sure that your addons aren't being updated by both of them, as they'll overwrite one another.
  • Good to know it still works
  • I don't think encouraging someone to downgrade Java, and undoing bugfixes and security updates is a good idea -- unless you can install both, but I doubt it
  • Sorry for not saying Minion can be run concurrently as the game; I missed that because the news of no more updates to Minion had shocked me
  • Yes, running both updaters at the same time is BAD, and can corrupt installed addons as the two clients "fight" over latest versions. There is a workaround, but only very advanced users should try it.
09-01-12, 06:15 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
  • Good to know it still works
  • I don't think encouraging someone to downgrade Java, and undoing bugfixes and security updates is a good idea -- unless you can install both, but I doubt it
  • Sorry for not saying Minion can be run concurrently as the game; I missed that because the news of no more updates to Minion had shocked me
  • Yes, running both updaters at the same time is BAD, and can corrupt installed addons as the two clients "fight" over latest versions. There is a workaround, but only very advanced users should try it.
  • *nod*
  • I'm not 'encouraging' anyone to downgrade, undo bugfixes or security updates. And to suggest that I am is insulting to say the least. Yes you can install both.
  • He never asked about whether the programs can run when the game is running. (Although you are correct in that both will work with the game running.) What he did ask was if you have to have the program(s) running all the time, or if you could choose to only run it when you want. (Also, how can the news that we aren't updating Minion any more shock you when you already said you never used it in the first place so wasn't paying any attention to it?)
  • The 'work-around' as you term it is dead easy and doesn't require some to be an 'advanced user'. If you are getting Mod X updated from Site A's program, then don't also update it from Site B's program.
09-02-12, 06:09 AM   #7
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Cairenn, I am not insulting you. I would never do that. I was just thinking that if someone misinterpreted what you said, well, okay, that person deserves it. I know what you meant, don't worry.

Now I am curious, can you install two versions of Java at the same time? When I look at my program list, I can see the last three updates, but not whole versions because I haven't tried that.

Minion's lack of updates shocked me because I figured it would be around forever, gaining features, supporting more games, and so on and so forth. Just because I don't use it doesn't mean anything else other than I had my little world, and Minion would always be there, and now my world is broken. Minion is good, and its existence gave users choice, which is always a good thing.

You are correct of course that you can run updaters at the same time as the game. There just isn't a lot of point to it because even if they upgrade an addon, it doesn't take effect until a /reloadui, or better still, complete exiting and reloading, which defeats the purpose of running the updaters in the first place. I did point out the one quasi-useful feature if you did run the CC at the same time as the game.

I know ZAM also operates WowHead, which has its own data collecting tool, but you don't need to run it at the same time as the game; you can manually upload the data later. I wish you could manually update data to WowDB with the Curse Client, but you can't - it has to be running during game play. Annoy, says me, but what do I know?

The workaround, as you said, might be trivial, so I'll revise and give the how to:
Run Minion and Curse Client. If addons exist in both, pick your preference, then right click the addon in the other program and select Ignore or whatever the appropriate setting is called. Since most addons exist on both sites, expect to do that a lot, but watch for AddonX is newer on SiteY. If the addon only shows up in one client or the other, then smooth sailing.

Again, Cairenn, I was not saying or inferring anything, and I'm sorry you thought that.
09-02-12, 06:40 AM   #8
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Just in case you missed it ... Java 7 is not recommended atm ... visiting a website/ad is enough to execute malicious code outside of the sandbox on your computer. Even though the latest update fixed one hole it opened another allowing the same.

Source: https://www.infoworld.com/d/security...release-201472
09-07-12, 12:47 AM   #9
chaud
A Kobold Labourer
I wish you could manually update data to WowDB with the Curse Client, but you can't - it has to be running during game play. Annoy, says me, but what do I know?
You can open Curse Client once a week or so while the game is running and then close the game, it should upload. It watches for a write to the file and then the file not to be in use.
09-24-12, 11:37 AM   #10
Tymesink
A Fallenroot Satyr
I'm in the same boat as the author of this post.. I love wow-interface.com website over curse.com. The website here is more intuitive and easy to use while the website at curse.com is just way to busy and the layout is awkward and cumbersome.

However, I do pay curse for their premium service to use with the curse client. I like one place to go to check for updates, and then download and install. As appose to the alternate method of having to add the addon to the "My Favorites" list and then get an email when there is an update and then having to manually download, unzip and copy the files into place. Yes I know, it may sound like I'm a little lazy. I mean really, its all about the point and click.. its not like I'm having to do a flight of stairs to update the addon. Although that would keep me in shape!

Anyhow, I have considered to write an app in either Adobe AIR, or Silverlight that would parse the rss xml feed from "My Favorites" which would then download, unzip and install the updated addon. But I just need to find time to build it.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Minion or Curse client ?