07-20-10, 12:55 PM   #1
Talryn
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Handling multiple sites?

I hope it's not an issue asking this question here but I think I have to ask it somewhere.

I'm curious how some of the prolific add-on authors handle adding and updating their add-ons on the multiple sites. I've liked and used wowace.com and wowinterface.com for a long time.

I would think it would be painful to use version control at both. Is there a recommended way to handle it? Is it best to use version control at one or the other and then just post the file at the other one? If so, which site do you use?

Thanks!
07-20-10, 01:07 PM   #2
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

I used to use the svn over at wowace but it got wonky and annoying during the great-move-to-curse and I hated what they did with my mods over at curse b/c of using the svn -- since curse went all money-grubbing-jerks and revamped the site to annoy authors and users alike, I've avoided it.

I started to use the svn here at WoWI but decided that, as I'm the only one working on the thing, it's just not worth the hastle as I can do version-control all on my own with just about as much fuss and annoyance

I would suggest using only one svn -- pick your favorite spot -- if you want to use one at all, then making a package that you upload to other sites. The svn is really for your convenience so use it as whatever aid you find it to be and don't make more of it than you need it to be.

Last edited by VincentSDSH : 07-20-10 at 01:09 PM.
07-20-10, 01:41 PM   #3
Sythalin
Curse staff

Personally, I haven't even figured out how to use the svn here. One thing that seems to be a bit more "complicated" than over at Curse.
07-20-10, 01:53 PM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Click Projects, click svn options, then either choose to make a new SVN or one based off of your AddOn already in our database.

3,4 steps!?!?

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...nable_existing

Last edited by Dolby : 07-20-10 at 01:56 PM.
07-20-10, 02:05 PM   #5
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
If you use your own home grown versioning system shadowed has made a wonderful command line tool for uploading updates to WoWI.
You can use that in your hooks or batch scripts to automate your upload if your not using our SVN.
07-20-10, 02:19 PM   #6
Talryn
A Fallenroot Satyr

Either site looks fairly good to me. Is it only WowAce though that automatically pulls in new Ace libraries?

Dolby, thanks for the link. I'll check that out.
07-20-10, 02:28 PM   #7
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I'm curious about something. I've never played a beta before and I'd like to know if Blizzard will run the beta all the way up to it's final release version. As in fixing all the little fiddley bits like my Worgen being trapped at the manor after hearthing there because the only way out is on the carriage, and it only allows you to do the carriage thing one time...

Wow, that turned into a mini-rant... sorry...

[Edit]Jeez Louise... Four hours later I find that I posted this in the wrong thread... Admins or Smods, if you wouldn't mind moving this to the appropriate Beta thread, I'd really appreciate it!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

Last edited by voodoodad : 07-20-10 at 06:53 PM.
07-20-10, 07:06 PM   #8
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Talryn View Post
Either site looks fairly good to me. Is it only WowAce though that automatically pulls in new Ace library bugs?
There, fixed it (got burned by that twice)

WoWAce's svn will pull referenced libraries (not just Ace) if you set up your svn entry to handle that. It's a neat feature with all the modern inconveniences.
07-22-10, 11:05 AM   #9
Talryn
A Fallenroot Satyr

Just an update. I setup a Wowace account. The system there works fairly well and the automated build takes a little time to learn and setup but it was fairly easy. Both systems look good and it is really an issue of automated build system or a manual system.

If you want to share your add-on with everyone though it seems you are stuck using both in some way though.
07-22-10, 03:36 PM   #10
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I use the WoWAce packager and manually upload the resultant zips here.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
07-22-10, 03:38 PM   #11
Talryn
A Fallenroot Satyr

Thanks Torhal. I think that's what I'm going to do myself. Looks easy to pull in most of the libraries I need since they are hosted at Wowace.
07-22-10, 04:51 PM   #12
Phanx
Cat.

You can pull in SVN externals (eg. libraries) from anywhere; they don't have to be hosted on the same site that hosts your repository. The only issue is that WowAce/CurseForge also offers Git and Hg/Mercurial repositories, and you can't pull SVN externals from non-SVN repositories. Fortunately there aren't many libraries using Git repos, and none that I know of using Hg.
07-22-10, 06:11 PM   #13
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Click Projects, click svn options, then either choose to make a new SVN or one based off of your AddOn already in our database.

3,4 steps!?!?

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...nable_existing
I don't know how I managed to miss this, even after doing a search for it. Thanks for pointing it out. Been wanting to switch my svn to here since I get more traffic here than at curse.
07-22-10, 07:07 PM   #14
orionshock
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

I know some established authors on WoWI use the svn here, and use the "external repository" option at wowace to keep both sites updated.

Cladhaire i know does this for a few of his addons.
07-22-10, 07:53 PM   #15
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by orionshock View Post
I know some established authors on WoWI use the svn here, and use the "external repository" option at wowace to keep both sites updated.

Cladhaire i know does this for a few of his addons.
Um, I think SHE is going to have something to say about the sexual misreference.
07-22-10, 08:27 PM   #16
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

sexual misreference
Great song!! Marvin Gaye, wasn't it?

wait... no, that's not right...

07-22-10, 08:40 PM   #17
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
Um, I think SHE is going to have something to say about the sexual misreference.
Yeah, I think HE will.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-22-10, 09:02 PM   #18
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
*snickers* Got it wrong Chaos.
07-22-10, 09:08 PM   #19
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Yeah, I think HE will.
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
*snickers* Got it wrong Chaos.
Oh, man... Now I'm more confused than that time I... was really, really confused about something...

07-22-10, 09:27 PM   #20
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Where did you pull that nugget of bad intelligence from?

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Handling multiple sites?