10-21-09, 03:41 PM   #1
ffxiedyn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Final Fantasy 14 Online

Altho the playable characters and most likely alot of the mobs will be modeled after Final Fantasy 11 Online, (albeit with todays graphic technology) the story will be new, as will the way it's played.

I predict, once released, WoW will be left with all it's 13 yr old players, while the mature MMO WoW players will move to Final Fantasy 14 Online.

Or am I wrong in assuming the current mature WoW gamer community is itching for a new MMO to immerse themselves in that has quality and fresh gameplay all in one package?

Square, after all, is known for using the very latest cutting edge technology in thier Final Fantasy game series, and putting out quality games each release.

And yes, Final Fantasy 11 Online is a grinding MMO, but that aside, was and still is high quality, and I feel the new Online game will meet the same standards as well as have all the features that current WoW gamers have come to love in an MMO.

Square is coming, folks, and they intend to take the top spot on the MMO scene... Think it will happen?
10-21-09, 04:35 PM   #2
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No I don't think it will. In my opinion:

For ANY game to "take WoW players", something rather harmful must happen to WoW itself. Whether that be a really bad decision by the staff, or to the end of it's lifetime and production stopped. I believe that the majority of the player-base will continue to play the game until that "something" occurs.
10-21-09, 05:17 PM   #3
JaceDaAce
A Black Drake

I have to agree as I know plenty of players that gave up WOW to go to the new game Aion (I think that is how it is spelt) and they were all back in 2 weeks saying they missed WOW
10-21-09, 05:25 PM   #4
zero-kill
A Firelord

Final Fantasy will never match up, of course there are 13 year olds playing a video game, after all they have the most free time of everyone
10-21-09, 05:46 PM   #5
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I would love a quality Final Fantasy MMO... unfortunately FF 11 wasn't it. That game series lost it's roots long ago. The days of real-deal Final Fantasy are over. I play my NES & SNES Emulators just to get back those glory moments of quality storylines and characters worth paying attention to.

FF 14 would need to really dive into it's roots to even make a small dent in WoW's player base, which doesn't seem to be diminishing any at all with any game releases... in fact, it almost seems as if the release of games like Aion, etc... only drive WoW to being more popular with the spread of even more mouth-running by the many people dropping the other 'newest greatest thing on the internet' to return to WoW.

I did it, and I imagine many of you have as well... Warhammer Online, different expansions to EQ2, various free MMORPGs that all just make us realize they're not free, lol... and all in all, none compare to WoW... Be realistic, there is no event that will happen that will destroy WoW. Look at Blizzard's History, and then tell me they have even 1 game that was a failure. You can't, it's that simple.

This community alone has to be one of the reasons I stay on WoW. I can create and manipulate to my heart's content a UI piece and have that as my hobby. Sure we all want something more from WoW and other games do better in various interests... like Housing, or the Economy, or Player Interaction... problem is... those are different games accomplishing these things, 1 at a time, whereas WoW is acceptable and enjoyable as-is... A well-rounded masterpiece as it stands.

Holy nuts I just rambled on far too much and just spit out what was on my mind without even thinking before speaking. I hope that what I just wrote made sense and now that my head is clear, I think I need to go find some more Artwork to inspire more BTex & BornabeUI creations!
10-22-09, 04:53 AM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I rather doubt FF14 will make much of a dent in WoW's player base. If it is anything like FF11, it will be optimized for play on a console. For PC players that type of optimization tends to result in a clunky interface for keyboard/mouse interaction. In addition, FF14's system's requirements are likely going to be rather high for the average PC (espcially since it was designed for the architecture of todays consoles (Playstation 3/Xbox 360) which use a different CPU architecture (Cell/Power which based partially on Cell)

If there is one thing Blizzard is good at and that is trying to reach a wide of audience as possible when comes to system demands. Sure WoW may not have the draw dropping graphics of new games, however WoW also does not have the same high system requirements allowing the games with average systems to enjoy the game. In addition, the cartoony graphic style of WoW helps Blizzard to avoid the "uncanny valley" effect that games that use such "life like" human like models experience. Sure your character may look realistic however then some flaw such as mis-synced facial/jaw movement while a character is speaking or some quirk in movement breaks the immersion factor.

Bioware has taken notice of the "uncanny valley effect" and is going for a semi cartoony style for Star Wars: The Old Republic. I personally think that of all upcoming games to make a dent in WoW, it will be SW:TOR. However even that dent will be small (and this is coming from someone is excited about SW:TOR). In my educated opinion, the only game that has any chance to rival/unseat WoW will likely be WoW 2 (if it is ever constructed) or Blizzard's un-named MMO. Blizzard learns from it's mistakes and is willing to use other developers' ideas. Blizzard does not innovate (usually), rather Blizzard perfects.

Blizzard does not release games before they are ready. WoW was a bit of exception however even at launch with all its bugs and WoW being uncharted territory for Blizzard, WoW still had far more polish than any other MMO before or since. Only Aion (US/EU release) has come close with the amount of polish at launch and that is partially because Korea and China had Aion released well before the US and Europe which allowed for intense bug hunting, polish of the UI and other aspects of the game.

Last edited by Zyonin : 10-22-09 at 05:03 AM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Final Fantasy 14 Online