01-31-05, 05:36 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Dissecting Mods as a Tutorial

Hi all. Just wanted to point out that Syra (aka Eve) has posted the first installment of her tutorial series. In her own words, from her initial post on the WoW forums:

"I know that lots of people still want to learn how to create UI mods, and that they've looked at Nevir's tutorials, they're yay for that, but they still lack some of the practical application.

My idea, after seeing if there's any interest. Is to start a series of tutorials where I'll take an existing, functioning mod. Then, basically re-code it from scratch with comments, suggestions, and attempt to fully explain the purpose of every part.

Would anyone be interested in this kind of tutorial series? "

My response to that thread, on behalf of our users, was a resounding Yes!

Her first post can be found here.
01-31-05, 06:40 PM   #2
Inokis
EQInterface Staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Personally after working with the default UI, I've found it's extremely easy to break. For example, moving an item from one of the layers to a different one will often break the window.

I think the explanation of what is what and such is a good idea. However, similar to the EQUI, having a list of what is/isn't possible is a good idea as well.

Coding a window from scratch, I can follow the WoW XML schema to a tea, no errors in the xml itself, then on load the window will either not display correctly or crash the game. I think its a lot more than learning how to code a window, its an experience issue with what items can be contained in what layers and what items don't mesh if not contained in their own separate layer.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Dissecting Mods as a Tutorial