05-25-05, 09:36 AM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Two Items of Interest for Mod Authors

First:

It has been brought to our attention that someone(s) are selling UI Mods on eBay. Okay, that in and of itself is bad enough, but ... an even larger problem lies in the fact that they are selling other people's work, not their own. Mondinga (GypsyMod) has been informed directly, as his mod is clearly visible in the screenshot provided, but this is a general warning to all mod authors that someone(s) may be selling your work.

If I can ever remember my blasted eBay account login, I intend to buy a copy of the CD myself, so we can positively identify which mod authors are being ripped off and let them know. However, in the meantime (since damned if I can remember it), we wanted to post this as a general warning.

The sale can be seen here. The one linked is expired, but where someone has done it once and gotten away with it (they think), it'll be done again.

Second:
(and this is much more pleasant news)

Vika has posted a concise list on the Blizz forum of the UI changes coming in the 1.5 content patch:

Events

UNIT_PET : Sent when a units pet changes. This will replace PLAYER_PET_CHANGED and arg1 will be the unit who's pet this is in reference to.

New Event Generating and Queryable Units

partypet1 .. partypet4

raid1 .. raid40

raidpet1 .. raidpet40

Queryable Units

Any valid unit name + "target". For example, "targettarget", "party1target" and "raid5targettarget"

You can repeat the "target" suffix as many times as you want, however be careful as you might get yourself into an infinite loop.

Interface Changes

Party pets will be shown with Default Interface. Buffs/Debuffs will be shown as well. This functionality can be shown/hidden via the interface menu.

Minor Changes

"Max Follow Distance" will be changed to "Max Camera Distance" in the Interface Options to be more descriptive

"Maxmimize" function for windowed mode now available in Video Options to remove window borders in windowed mode

Functions

UnitIsVisible(unitid) - Whether or not the unitid is within your area of interest

GetMouseFocus() - returns the current frame which has mouse focus. This is the actual frame object and not the name. (You would get the frame name via frame:GetName() )

TargetNearestPartyMember()

setfenv()/getfenv() Lua functions are now available to use

Bug Fixes / Changes to Existing Functions

Following functions will always return the correct info, even before PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD and so on.

GetRealmName()

UnitName("player")

UnitRace("player")

UnitClass("player")

UnitSex("player")

When passing out-of-range values to (r,g,b,a) function you'll receive a LUA error instead of a game-crashing cpp error

UnitHealth() and UnitHealthMax() of raid members will correctly return their actual HP at all times (regardless of UnitIsVisible())

GlueXML is not allowed to be modified, and the game checks to verify this.

obj:Hide() calls <OnLeave> so if you have obj:Hide() in your <OnLeave> event handler, well, you're in for a loop. This will be fixed.

More Info

raid members and pets within your area of interest will return full information

Unit's outside your area of interest (not UnitIsVisible()) will return the following:

Remote players:
* name
* portrait
* race/class/gender
* level
* health (plus dead/ghost)
* mana/rage/energy
* debuffs
* buffs

Remote pets:
* name
* portrait
* health
* debuffs
* buffs
* mana/focus

Her original post on the Blizz forum can be found here. (Soulken very kindly stickied it. )
05-26-05, 01:32 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Still following up on the first item. We'll keep everyone informed as things progress.
05-28-05, 07:04 PM   #3
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just wanted to let you know that the link to the eBay item is no longer available anymore, it appears eBay has removed it. Also did you contact blizzard about this as i'm sure there is something they can do about this.

Good job spotting this.

Can't wait for next patch .. looks good
05-30-05, 05:30 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
The saga of the guy selling the mods still continues. Will post another update when the next step is finished.
06-01-05, 11:20 AM   #5
woofiest
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Have been on a break for a while, but I'm sorta back now. Thx for the info Cairenn, and I'll keep an eye on eBay myself as well!

==== For Mod Hogger ======================================
http://www.wowinterface.com/
http://www.wowguru.com/ui
http://www.curse-gaming.com/
http://ui.worldofwar.net/
06-01-05, 05:13 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by woofiest
Have been on a break for a while, but I'm sorta back now. Thx for the info Cairenn, and I'll keep an eye on eBay myself as well!
Had been wondering where you'd gotten to. Hope you were away for positive reasons, not negative.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Two Items of Interest for Mod Authors