01-18-15, 07:04 AM   #1
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
find duplicate skin ... possible ?

Hi all,

I'd like to ask if there is an addon (or a function that can query it) to find if my trasmo items have duplicate skins.

So I can delete some cleaning and freeing places in the normal and void bank without have to check one by one and remembering if I have seen the same skin before... :-)

Thanks.
01-18-15, 12:33 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99.99% sure that the UI has no idea what skin/model a piece of equipment uses.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-18-15, 04:33 PM   #3
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It couldn't be done using the api, but you could create a giant database of every item's model textures outside the game and import it like mogit does.
01-19-15, 02:26 AM   #4
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

Hi,
thanks for the reply.

Uhm ... I think the problem is where to find that infos ...
I don't think wowhead or similar online database will have this information in a way easily usable.

Probably the database should be created harvesting directly the WoW data files.
... and this imply a deep knowledge of the file structures of them.

I think it could be a mission impossible :-)

Thanks anyway :-)
01-19-15, 05:13 AM   #5
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The information is on wowhead, since there's a tab that shows items with the same model and all of the models with the same skin have the same image url.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the information is also in the client, which would be a better option to parse if you can figure out how to do it.

You might ask Lombra what he did for mogit.
01-19-15, 12:29 PM   #6
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Parsing wowhead actually is trivial for models. You can use Chrome/IE/Firefox inspector network tab or any HTTP inspection when you click on "View in 3D". Use the filter box to filter HTTP traffic for "modelviewer", and you will see that the modelviewer will load a JSON(JavaScript Object Notation) file, then from the JSON a mo3 file(model), a png file for the texture and a png file for the alpha channel.

For weapons/shields/offhands parsing it is fairly easy, but for armor each gender+race combination usually has a different model file, where the png texture is being stretched around it using PIPs(points in polygon).

---

However, if you can figure out how to extract model paths from the client then that is your best bet, as unsolicited parsing (without written permission) is really not nice!

---

You could also try asking Aelobin(curse), because AFAIK he is the original author.

Last edited by ravagernl : 01-19-15 at 12:51 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » find duplicate skin ... possible ?