01-12-10, 10:16 AM   #1
Vexryn
A Defias Bandit
Automate Chat Windows appearing/disappearing by location

I am seeking an addon that will allow certain chat windows to automatically spawn/appear or despawn/disappear based on zone location.

A few examples of how this might be used may be helpful to illustrate what I'm looking for:
- I use a separate chat window to track /2 [Trade] channel, so that it doesn't spam up my active /guild channel. However, when I am not in a major city, this chat frame just takes up a whole bunch of useless space! Ideally, I would love a mod that automatically detects when you leave /2 (automatically upon leaving a city), and hides the entire chat window (and, similarly, respawns it again when I enter a city)
- I use a separate chat window to track numerous boss emote and other similar mechanics when in raid (because I don't want to miss an important fight message because active guild chat from other members causes it to be scroll up). However, I have no use for this window when I'm not in a raid! Again, I'd love an addon that automatically spawns/despawns this window when I am in a raid group (i.e., spawn/despawn based on creating raid group or disbanding raid group) and/or when I enter a raid instance (i.e., detect and spawn when I zone into Naxx/OS/EoE/Ulduar/ToC/ICC/etc.).

Primary events to detect for when to spawn or despawn a particular window might include:
- Entering/leaving a major city
- Entering/leaving any particular zone (as a generalized case of the prior)
- Autodetecting when you enter/leave a particular channel
- Entering/leaving an instance (perhaps with a list of instances that the chat window can be tied to)
- Entering/leaving a party or raid
- Entering/leaving the arena
- Entering/leaving a battleground
- Entering/leaving combat (e.g., to spawn/despawn the whole combat log itself)

I've been searching all over, but can't seem to find something to accomplish this. If someone knows of a mod that can do this, and/or feels like creating one, I would be most appreciative!

EDIT: A few mods I've found that at least indirectly come close:
Damn Chat Tabs (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...nChatTabs.html) - theoretically, I could layer all the tabs I want, and just make a few macros to operate all the toggles I want myself based on where I am, although that's not ideal.
Chichai (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-Chicchai.html) - appears to have some of the event-based chat frame activity I'd like to see, but in this case it just minimizes while I'd like to actually just hide/reveal the chat frame completely (although minimizing could certainly be built in)

Last edited by Vexryn : 01-12-10 at 10:20 AM.
01-12-10, 10:47 AM   #2
Vexryn
A Defias Bandit
Hrm, if I'm understanding correctly from what I'm reading elsewhere, it may be possible to accomplish this using kgPanels, where the chat frames are attached to the panel, and the panel itself can be triggered to show/hide based on scripted events?

In that case, perhaps I'm just looking for someone to help me understand how to write some of these scripts, and/or to help make a more effective interface for it?

Any other ideas on how to accomplish this?
01-15-10, 08:00 AM   #3
khurzog
A Frostmaul Preserver

you may want to have a look at ChatProfiles it is probably the closest thing that exists. i have been facing the same dilemma for years. i keep going back and forth between multiple (space wasting) chat windows and ugly nonfunctional tabs. i have been waiting for some time now for someone to step up and make a real chat replacement that focused on the functionality of the frames and getting you "what you want to see when you want to see it" /sigh, but never happens =(

Last edited by khurzog : 01-15-10 at 08:04 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Automate Chat Windows appearing/disappearing by location