04-01-11, 03:40 AM   #21
Shikary
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Goodbye to Wowinterface I guess..

Oh, hi there Curse, my old nemesis, how did you find me down here?!

Last edited by Shikary : 04-01-11 at 03:54 AM.
04-01-11, 05:07 AM   #22
Anj
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Is it possible to order a set of 3 (one for each computer in the house: bedroom, living room, laundry room) that would show the same authenticator code so I don't input codes 3 times every time I use the 3 computers?

I also want to order screen protectors to keep the screen pristine. Oh, and also 3 cases. Do you have different colored, silicon cases so I know which authenticator to use for each computer?

Thanks! WoWInterface is the best!

Last edited by Anj : 04-01-11 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Just wanted to see the reason for editing text. Nice...
04-01-11, 05:22 AM   #23
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I think it's a great idea and a welcome increase in security. You can never be too careful out there! Keep up the good work guys!
04-01-11, 05:29 AM   #24
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
So authors are supposed to pay for being able to upload addons. That's ... great.

I don't know how many hacker attacks you have to fight off each day, but I don't suppose it's that many after all to justify the need of an authenticator.

For me the internet is free. Imagine every site would require you to get an "authenticator", just to be able to interact with other (forum posts, woot) or even give something of your own work away for free ... imagine deviant art would require everyone to pay 5 dollars before they can post stuff. Basically any site that that is DEPENDENT on an active user base. That really feels stupid. Even though I suppose that's what we will see in the internet a lot more, because people seem to need to make money out of every crap they get their dirty hands on.

And stop this damn "OH MY SECURITY NEEDS TO BE PROTECTED" way of thinking, live isn't about security it's about facing what's thrown at you and grow over it. "Security" (like that) is just the concern of people that have no real issues, at all. So they make some up not to be bored. And to feed on the anguish, tears and money of others. *switches browser tab for buying an AK-47 to protect from evil terrorists nearby*

Will probably continue to lurk wowi, but that's about it. Feels kinda sad. Not that anyone would care anyway, but hey it's a free post opportunity! I couldn't resist!

Btw, that's not because 5 Dollars is a biggy. I follow a basic principle/belief of mine. So I don't blame anyone but myself for my decision.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

Last edited by Dawn : 04-01-11 at 05:44 AM.
04-01-11, 05:39 AM   #25
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I doubt it was a decision taken lightly. If they really thought the authenticator is the only way to fend off attacks and ensure a safe environment for addon developers and users, it could only mean it was absolutely needed.

Of course, I only use this forum nowadays for lurking and only rarely post, so my word doesn't really weigh too much. I guess you'll see less trolling from me - now that's gotta be worth more than 5$.
04-01-11, 06:39 AM   #26
dslater38
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Yes $5 and it lasts for a year. Small price to pay for security in my opinion.

We are working on an iphone and android app, should be out in a few weeks.
Do you really need to create a custom app for this? I have a generic RSA SecureID application on my iPhone now and my PC. All it needs to make it work with a particular site is some kind of key file from the server.

I don't have an issue with the $4.99 price tag - but I do have an issue with having to carry around yet another piece of hardware just for the sake of accessing a web site - it's just one more small item to get lost right when I need it.
04-01-11, 06:43 AM   #27
Vancha
A Murloc Raider
It's about time. I first started coming here for addons due to all the other sites having keyloggers or dodgy files (this was some years ago), but this is icing on what's been a very tasty cake.

Anyone who has any problem with having to come up with $5 for this is clearly just wrong in the head.

Last edited by Vancha : 04-01-11 at 06:48 AM.
04-01-11, 06:49 AM   #28
LittleWhiteDove
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Ok - this sounds like a good idea. Additional protection for the site and for users. I don't post very often in the forums but I do use a number of addons so please put me down for one of these authenticators when they are back in stock. (Please send a pm or an e-mail)

A quick question. If I need to use one of the protected areas after April 11 and before I receive my authenticator will there be some way to do so?
04-01-11, 06:51 AM   #29
fixitman333
A Fallenroot Satyr
I understand how requiring an authenticator for uploading anything (files, posts, etc) can improve security. I even understand how it would help protect the repository. I can't understand how requiring one for downloading does anything for security though. We'll be able to browse the site without one (which requires downloading data), so why require one for simply downloading updated addons?

Edit: I have no issue with the price, this just seems like too much hassle for my needs. I already deal with an authenticator for my WoW accounts. It can be really aggravating to have to wait for a new code to pop up for each account when I multibox. I just have to remember that having all three accounts stolen would be worse. I can't see a security downside to my not having an authenticator for wowinterface though.

Last edited by fixitman333 : 04-01-11 at 07:21 AM.
04-01-11, 07:05 AM   #30
AcidWeb
A Theradrim Guardian

Damn... Authenticators are not secure. What if some esper will read token from my mind before in use it?

IMHO some USB-thingy to collect blood sample and check DNA of user is better.
04-01-11, 07:15 AM   #31
Cabby
A Murloc Raider
Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Ok, got it out of my system.

Can't believe so many people want to complain about something they can't control.
04-01-11, 08:11 AM   #32
oimmuk
An Aku'mai Servant
Well I live on a fixed income and I already have to pay monthly for Wow and had to buy an authenticator for there to keep my account from getting hacked...again... I really do not have to worry about my account getting hacked here, but I feel that to ask your Authors who put their free time into making these addons and who post them here for others to share is a bit much. I would like to see Authors get a free authenticator for their service to the public. BTW I am not an author. To ask the people who trust your site to provide us with the best addons and most secure addons I think it is a worth while idea... I however as I mentioned before am on a fixed income and am afraid that I will not be able to buy one, so I guess that when my addons get too old I will have to use the blizz UI.
04-01-11, 08:55 AM   #33
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I had a feeling that something like this was coming. I think I caught a little blip of a conversation between Cairenn and Dolby when logging onto the staff IRC channel one day, and that was quite a while ago so they've been thinking this over a lot.

You have no idea how many times we find hackers knocking at our (the site's) door, spam and keylogger posts we delete, PMs we have to delete from the system that get spammed to authors, etc. As Cairenn stated, our main goal is to have a *safe* (and happy!) place for our users.

/me waits for the phone apps so she can still browse away from home

Oh - and I second the request for Blackberry support for my hubby!
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-01-11, 09:26 AM   #34
Poreo
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by Shikary View Post
Goodbye to Wowinterface I guess..

Oh, hi there Curse, my old nemesis, how did you find me down here?!
Sadly, this
04-01-11, 10:54 AM   #35
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
Damn now I goto wait for the I phone App cause I don't trust the mailmen they ware uniforms... Oh can't talk now I see the UPS guy driving up... One day I will find out what is in that big brown truck!
04-01-11, 10:55 AM   #36
Doskious
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Downloading needs Authentication???

Originally Posted by fixitman333 View Post
I understand how requiring an authenticator for uploading anything (files, posts, etc) can improve security. I even understand how it would help protect the repository. I can't understand how requiring one for downloading does anything for security though. We'll be able to browse the site without one (which requires downloading data), so why require one for simply downloading updated addons?

Edit: I have no issue with the price, this just seems like too much hassle for my needs. I already deal with an authenticator for my WoW accounts. It can be really aggravating to have to wait for a new code to pop up for each account when I multibox. I just have to remember that having all three accounts stolen would be worse. I can't see a security downside to my not having an authenticator for wowinterface though.
I have to confess, requiring an authenticator for *file downloads* seems unjustifiable to me - both for the "site navigation" reason that fixitman333 identified and also because the process of downloading a file is an output from, rather than an input to, the WoWInterface system. In order to ensure system security, inputs need to be carefully managed/watched/regulated, but outputs need not be so limited, inasmuch as the system itself controls the outputs.

In short, until now I have enjoyed the environment of WoWInterface substantially over the environment of other WoW Addon sites. I have not created any addons, and have only replied infrequently in addon-based threads, but I have downloaded almost all of my addons from here - this site has been my first stop before loading WoW almost every day to check for updated mods that I use, and come April 11, I'll be denied that option.

While I don't object to the notion of authenticators costing $5, I do strenuously object to the imposition of totally unnecessary "security" measures that are designed to chisel any amount of money out of me so that I can continue to download files. I don't object to requiring an authenticator to post, I certainly don't object to requiring an authenticator to author files - these are legitimate sources of system input that the authenticator system will protect. I don't even object to the notion of requiring an authenticator to maintain a list of favorite addons (though it seems to me that this feature could be segregated from sensitive regions of the system in a way to preclude needing to require an authenticator). Downloading is not a system input (if it is presently designed to allow system input, then somebody seriously messed up that design), and as such, as I understand it, should be able to be executed in the absence of an authenticator without any security risks.

I would greatly appreciate an explanation of why downloads are included in the authenticator blanket, including what security risks unauthenticated downloads pose.

~Doskious

Edit: Well played. I cannot read backwards, nor can I properly make sense of a calendar.

Last edited by Doskious : 04-01-11 at 05:00 PM. Reason: A-hah!
04-01-11, 11:17 AM   #37
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

I make authenticators for a living.

Did you know they're made out of chicken fat?
04-01-11, 11:42 AM   #38
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
I make authenticators for a living.

Did you know they're made out of chicken fat?
You're mistaken. I actually minored in chemistry, and am pretty sure the compound you're referring to is from the fat of a certain domestic pig species. This same compound (C13H18O2) is widely used in LCD panel manufacturing, and is also found in several over the counter pain relief medications. As they say, truth is often stranger than fiction.
04-01-11, 12:04 PM   #39
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Dolby and Cairenn must be working/sleeping, but....

As always, we are open to your feedback. We appreciate all of you and listen to your comments/concerns.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-01-11, 01:23 PM   #40
Nestaron
A Kobold Labourer
WoWI Authenticator

Right, i can understand that WoWI wants to improve their security, but doing this at the cost of the users?
First of all, if my law education is right and compared that with the Blizzard Entertainment addon policy (AddOns must be free of charge) your charging a user 4.99 to access a site with addons, so basicly users have to pay for addons that should be free.
I can understand if you could download and browse addons for free, but have to pay for the upload, comments etc, even that will probably take away the donations from some addon developers.

This is just my personal view of this decision about the WoWI authenticator.
Goodbye WoWI community.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Introducing the WoWInterface Authenticator!