03-17-06, 10:18 AM   #1
Nunspa
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

A way arround the Hook Move Keys

Ok,

I have no idea where I should have posted this so I will post it here, autobuff mods all use the 'Hook Movement Button' trick to help them do what they do...

Why don't you hook it to the right mouse click when needed...

Have something flash across the screen like "Need Buffs" or something like that. Then all the player needs to do is Right Click to cast the buffs in order

What do u think? May be a way to save a lot of the Auto Buff Mods.
03-17-06, 10:33 AM   #2
Gello
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yeah that will work. You can overlay the screen with a transparent button to receive an OnClick and act on it, then hide the button and further clicks will move.

For the keyboard it can be done the same way. We can't call movement, but we can change bindings. So a workaround there is when a buff needs cast, swap the key binding for "MOVEFORWARD" with your mod, and once your mod does its thing it reverts the bindings.
03-17-06, 10:40 AM   #3
AnduinLothar
Nobody of Importance

don't bother with the frame, just hook the WorldFrame OnClick scripts.
03-18-06, 01:16 PM   #4
Nunspa
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Ha!

And I can't write addons to save my life... If I'm good for anything, its ideas...

Now I hope all the mod writers that have 'Hook on movement key' add-ons take a look see at this topic and how it can help them save their addons!
03-19-06, 06:05 AM   #5
dafire
Premium Member
And the reaction from blizzard will be more restrictions what addons can do ...
03-23-06, 09:03 AM   #6
Nunspa
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by dafire

well hold on, what I was sudjesting is not something which I think Blizz would have an issue with.

In essece, lets say we have a buff mod.... AutoBuff... normaly this hooks the movement key so as you move, it casts the spells, requrining no real thought on the players part (and no control mind you, you may be low on mana, or not want buff X up)

What I propose is a way for the player to not only chose what he wants to do, but make it easy to do so.

In essece the mod temp replaces the right mouse click and runes a macro (If,Then) for each buff...

If you dont want the buff, maybe left click once?
03-23-06, 11:17 AM   #7
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Originally Posted by dafire
Addons are not meant to play the game for us, and they're not meant to do anything "automatically". That's what they broke, and only that.

There's way too much FUD going around about this damn patch. What did it do:

* Broke mods that hook movement keys to "automate" something, whether it be buffing, decursing, etc.
* Broke mods that do something "automatically" that is intended to be initiated by the user (i.e. mana conversation).

They don't hate the idea of decursive.. because the de-curser still needs to decide what to do when where and how. They don't like decursive or others autmatically decursing the entire raid every time you move, without true interaction.

Is a healer spamming a key going to be able to mana conserve in 1.10.. sure.. but they won't be on the top of their game.

It's not all doom and gloom.. it just plain makes sense.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
03-31-06, 10:49 PM   #8
apollyoonx
A Kobold Labourer
Looks like great minds think alike...

Here I think this can help solve our autobuff options, now all we need is to put the 2 togehter and make it work...

Check this and see what i mean...Maybe all these authors shoud get together and talk...

http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=3648

The IsMoving addon exposes the PlayerIsMoving function to macros and addons, which returns true when the player is in motion. Due to changes in permissions in patch 1.10, this is no longer accomplished by modifying keybindings, but instead keeps track of your map position and updates it according to an adjustable time rate.
Changes :
v1.1:
- Due to changes that prevents using movement functions in addons, this addon has been completely reworked. Functionality is the same.
- Added /IsMoving commands to change the rate at which the players position is updated by the addon. Depending on your framerate and system performance, you may need to lower or increase this value. The default is 0.1 (player position updates every 1/10th of a second.)
- Known Bugs: Will not work in instances and other mapless areas due to restrictions on the GetPlayerMapPosition function. In these situations, it will always return false.

v1.0 (unreleased):
- Added a IsMoving section the keybindings menu. By mapping W, S, Q, and E to these functions, PlayerIsMoving is usable.
- PlayerIsMoving function returns true if the player is moving, false if not.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » A way arround the Hook Move Keys