02-19-11, 09:03 PM   #21
Mirdamor
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by acapela View Post
ultimately, i think it would have to be attached to the nameplate. detecting when there is a mouseover target, and identifying the associated nameplate (if enabled, within nameplate range, visible on the screen, and not the current target... see below) would be possible, via inspection of all visible nameplates for an "active" highlight region. i don't think having a control like this serve as an interlocutor for spellcasting would require secure frames (would it? especially if you built macros for the mouseover unit dynamically, up front... the author of an action-bar addon would likely be able to say for certain; for instance, can Macaroon activate an action bar when the "mouseover" unitid becomes active, and hide it when the unitid becomes inactive?). creating/initializing extra graphical objects, associating them with the base nameplate frame assembly, and generically detecting mouse activity on them is all possible in combat.

but in addition to nameplates being enabled (i.e. via "keybinding"), nameplate range (currently at 40 yards, hardcoded into the WoW Client), and simple world-frame visibility/clipping...

the fact (and the exception to all of the above) is that the current target nameplate is "dead" to the mouse (hardcoded into the WoW Client; Blizzard added this "feature" sometime around WoW 3.3, if memory serves). mouseover events on the current target nameplate would not be flagged (the highlight region doesn't activate, and you would have to mouse over the current target 3D model even just to have a unitid), and while i have not ever tried an active control of any kind, it would be my expectation that you would not be able to get anything associated with the current target nameplate frame assembly to answer to mouse-clicks. i.e. even if you could pop up your nameplate-attached toolbar on mouseover, nothing on it would respond to mouse-clicks.

that would tend to limit the value of something like this.

now that i think of it, this is probably all a Blizzard plot... they have been making it progressively harder for "targeting aid" addons of all kinds (and a per-unit action bar that popped up on mouseover would definitely qualify as a "targeting aid", i think). disclaimer: have a PvE-centric perspective on this.

my $0.02.
The professor's $0.02.

To be honest Ya'll sound like professors. My head goes bananas.
02-19-11, 09:16 PM   #22
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Mirdamor View Post
To be honest Ya'll sound like professors. My head goes bananas.
lol. i think we sound like computer programmers using a complex and partially reverse-engineered API/development environment (which is in fact what we are ). and i expect many of us do this stuff professionally, only to come home and do even more of it in WoW...

pretty arcane stuff. it makes my head hurt too.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"
03-09-11, 11:39 AM   #23
Mirdamor
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Grimsin View Post
this might be possible but it would be far from lightweight. In order to make those buttons work they would have to be written in secure code so that they still worked in combat. Also a huge library would have to be written to handle that bar knowing what spells to put on the buttons based on what you are targeting and what class you are, what level you are and what spec and everything else.

Also the tricky part would be making the bar follow moving targets, i would look at the nameplate system and maybe think about tying this into the nameplate system or at least attempt to use the methods found there for keeping the bar over the initial target.
Can I learn from some wall of text of how to do this with a program of some kind?
03-13-11, 02:22 AM   #24
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

To do it in combat, it would need some Blizz coding.

Since it's a pretty cool idea, you prolly should put it in their suggestions bin. It's possible for them to create a secure frame that had vaguely context items in it - but they'd have to make the secure code to populate it themselves, while we could choose how its displayed.

-Crissa
06-23-11, 05:08 AM   #25
Mirdamor
A Murloc Raider
Hello, I started a thread on the official forum.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...68931?page=1#2

Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
To do it in combat, it would need some Blizz coding.

Since it's a pretty cool idea, you prolly should put it in their suggestions bin. It's possible for them to create a secure frame that had vaguely context items in it - but they'd have to make the secure code to populate it themselves, while we could choose how its displayed.

-Crissa
Thank you.

_

Last edited by Mirdamor : 06-23-11 at 05:15 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » [REQUEST] Yellow click for spell thing.