01-31-13, 07:53 AM   #21
Hentaya
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crazzzzi View Post
go Rythal go! i tihnk even Heracles would pat you on the back
I agree...this is an equivalent task to cleaning out the Augean Stables...though YOUR day is more on the cosmic level, having no river to divert other than your own energies.

02-02-13, 01:31 AM   #22
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Half the options menu's are converted and working in blizzard options, trying to actually write decent descriptions of what everything changes at the same time

Got bored of doing the same thing over and over and took some time to fix that black box showing across half of wandering isle, and at the same time got the satellite map for wandering isle to display

02-02-13, 03:09 AM   #23
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Modules are, depending on how you implement them, AddOns in their own right (though only useful if you have the main AddOn loaded) so they would, of course, have their own set of SavedVariables. You can (of course) inject those settings into the main AddOn, but at that point there would be no default values (from the perspective of the main AddOn).

EDIT: I was responding to what Myrrodin was saying on the subject. No damn clue how I got so far behind. Yay.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

Last edited by Torhal : 02-02-13 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Timelag.

02-02-13, 03:49 AM   #24
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
that's what I thought... probably best to stick to separate saved variables per module otherwise when one gets disabled and logs, all the settings for it would be reset.

As part of my rebuild I've actually sorted all the options into subcategories, what are the chances I can remove say ... Nx.db.profile.quest from my current savedvariables, then link it in from the module

ie Nx.db.profile.Quest = CarbQuest.db.profile .... wait no, that wouldn't work still leaves me with no defaults and the info would end up saved twice probably. .... just trying to work out the best way to do this without redoing all the changes I just made going from the old NxData.Gopt to Nx.db.profile

02-05-13, 01:14 AM   #25
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
*Whistles a little dittie and accidentally drops a beta screenshot on the floor*

02-05-13, 07:19 AM   #26
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AWW hell yea!! when do we get to test it out

02-05-13, 07:53 AM   #27
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
soon... I was working on updating the options window when I decided to take a break from it and start modularizing the entire addon .... 4 days later after much cursing and swearing... and a few nights of being so entranced in the work I forgot to sleep... it was finally done so now I can go back to adding the options.

Debating on calling it Carbonite2 or Carbonite.Maps since it does kill all your savedvariables, so there is no going back and forth between it and the live version unless you backup the savedvariables first

02-05-13, 08:09 AM   #28
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Debating on calling it Carbonite2 or Carbonite.Maps since it does kill all your savedvariables, so there is no going back and forth between it and the live version unless you backup the savedvariables first
If you decide to rename it, I would think Carbonite2 is the better of these two choices or perhaps a play on words like CarbonLite since hopefully it is a little lighter than the previous incarnation.

02-05-13, 09:16 AM   #29
Chmee
A Molten Giant
A carbon light is a pretty bright thing.

02-05-13, 09:16 AM   #30
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I second Carbonite2 or even Carbonite v2.0

02-05-13, 09:36 AM   #31
Tenchi9000
A Defias Bandit

I think Carbonite2 or Carbonite v.2 would be the best names for the new version so people can find the new version much better. Keep up the great work Rythal!

02-07-13, 07:22 AM   #32
Mardread
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I say Carboniter 2: Rise of the Maps

02-07-13, 10:45 AM   #33
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Or you can just call it Carbonite. Yes, it is a total rewrite, but it keeps things consistent. You won't get bajillions of people asking "should I download Carbonite or Carbonite 2/lite?" "What is the difference?" The point being, most people who use the addon do not read the forums, and would get lost immediately.

02-07-13, 12:39 PM   #34
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Or you can just call it Carbonite. Yes, it is a total rewrite, but it keeps things consistent. You won't get bajillions of people asking "should I download Carbonite or Carbonite 2/lite?" "What is the difference?" The point being, most people who use the addon do not read the forums, and would get lost immediately.
but on the same note, most people who use the addon and don't read the forums will be OMG MY NOTES ARE GONE?? especially since by the time i'm done my beta for v2, notes will be entirely redone to better support dungeon levels and 3rd party modules injecting into them.

02-08-13, 01:14 AM   #35
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you're really worried about notes, you could write a migration just for those...

02-17-13, 03:14 PM   #36
nightshade00013
An Aku'mai Servant
Releasing as Carbonite 2 as a different addon and informing people on the download pages of the changes both here and on curse should alleviate most of the confusion. I know it would be a little bit of extra work but even making sure that the current version of carbonite works through at least the 5.2 patch along side of the 2.0 version with a nag message that notes should be written down and that support for the original will end with the next major patch in favor of Carbonite 2 would be ideal in my opinion.

This would give people who do have a lot of notes the opportunity to write the most important ones down and be ready to transfer them or the die hard users to have a little bit of time to test the waters on the next version.

Can't wait to see the changes in store though.

03-25-13, 08:43 PM   #37
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
So.. been a while since I updated this.. the last beta is almost working except a few minor things so I started pushing forward towards the next one... Quest system rewrite

So far in my developer build, i'm now standing in northshire with the new quest database layout... quest start and end track properly, now i'm trying to get the blobs to show up.

Still a long way to having it working, but closer then I was. I've also noticed some smaller issue's which isn't totally carbonite's fault, like the northshire quests are all off by +15,-10 ... but so is wowhead so obviously blizzard moved the zone coords when they redid the zone.

03-26-13, 12:42 AM   #38
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Check WoWDB - the coords may be a better fit.

04-01-13, 05:38 PM   #39
nightshade00013
An Aku'mai Servant
I know you were leaning towards "Caronite 2" but I think something like "Carbonite Suite" may be more fitting since parts of the setup are not required. You could even produce a "Carbonite Lite" which is basically something like the maps and quests only. I know that people can turn on and off different parts of the addon but there are some people who are not skilled enough to do that and would prefer the simple one click and go vs. install, turn off different parts and then go. It would also be much lighter weight for those people with lower end computers even though I know you are working to reducing everything down.

04-07-13, 10:37 AM   #40
quixadhal
A Fallenroot Satyr

Just to chime in on the quest database issue.

If you haven't already decided, it might not be horrible to go the same route that DBM did... let Carbonite users load each expansion's quest data as they need it. Rather than making them fully seperate addons though, I'd probably make it a per-character setting and a default, since those of us with lots of RAM will just load them all so we can do loremaster or faction grinds, and those wanting to trim the fat probably want pandaria for their 90's and core/bc on their alts, as they level.

Also, while I'd prefer just sticking with Carbonite, I can see wanting a new name to mark that it's a major change and that old data may/will get lost. I guess I'd go with Carbonite 2, since it then becomes obvious which one is newer.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Work log on the next beta