09-13-05, 02:45 PM   #1
FireArrow
A Defias Bandit
Addon idea: IRC

Would it be possible to make a pludin/addon that allow IRC-chatt in a chat-window?
Or has it allready been made?
Love to hear some comments.
09-13-05, 02:50 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Not possible. Sorry.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
09-13-05, 04:40 PM   #3
Kasheen
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by FireArrow
Would it be possible to make a pludin/addon that allow IRC-chatt in a chat-window?
Or has it allready been made?
Love to hear some comments.
In gerneral mods can not be written which require data to go outside of the wow client in real time.
09-14-05, 11:47 AM   #4
FireArrow
A Defias Bandit
Hmm... too bad, it sure ould have been nice.

But an addon can write to a textfile in the WoW-folder... It doesn't happen to be possible to have a program that catch the input to a file, redirect it to an IRC-client somehow... and the outher way around, adds what people say in the IRC-channel to an file that is checked by the addon every five second or so, and displayed to the player...

I may not be that skilled in programing (yet), but at least I try to keep ideas comming :P
09-14-05, 12:42 PM   #5
Esamynn
Featured Artist
Premium Member
Featured
Hmm... too bad, it sure ould have been nice.

But an addon can write to a textfile in the WoW-folder... It doesn't happen to be possible to have a program that catch the input to a file, redirect it to an IRC-client somehow... and the outher way around, adds what people say in the IRC-channel to an file that is checked by the addon every five second or so, and displayed to the player...

I may not be that skilled in programing (yet), but at least I try to keep ideas comming :P
No. AddOns can only read in from this file when a player logs in (at which point the game reads the file for the AddOns) and can only write to the file when a character logs out (at which point the game writes the data the AddOns has asked for it to save to the file).
09-14-05, 02:38 PM   #6
Quu
An Aku'mai Servant

technically if a UI mod constatly reloaded the UI it could send information in and out of the client... with out having to relog...

but this would make the game unplayable
09-14-05, 03:09 PM   #7
FireArrow
A Defias Bandit
Ok, I might be nagging, but isn't there an addon that let the player turn addons on and off in-game? Then it would be possible to start and stop every five second (would probebly cause lots and lots of lag, but that's a detail :P )

As I said, I'm not that skilld in programing, but I sure like brainstorming sometimes
09-14-05, 06:12 PM   #8
Athan
A Murloc Raider
Possibly a better way to implement this would be an external IRC client application that merely puts a DirectX overlay in place. I'm sure I've heard of this being done for things like TeamSpeak and WinAmp controllers although I've never used anysuch myself.

It's possible WoW does something to diallow this to try and prevent some kind of additional radar or the like though.

-Ath
09-14-05, 10:38 PM   #9
Littlejohn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
WoW uses a stateful network protocol, so it isn't possible to inject extra messages from an external source. (Before I agreed to the TOS I poked around the network stream on my son's copy. It's not a very good encryption system, but it's good enough to prevent injection which is all Bliz probably cares about. BTW, it *isn't* good enough to prevent passive, external decoding.)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Addon idea: IRC