04-27-09, 11:54 AM   #1
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Opinion: BigWigs or DBM?

Just curious what everyone thinks. I know both addons have the ability to do very similar things. I've been playing with both again since redoing my UI, again, and I'm undecided either way, lol.

My goal:
a) Be able to see notifiers for Raids and 5 Man's in the most efficient way possible.
b) Announce notices to Party/Raid.
c) Use a script/macro to be able to show a "Pizza timer" for Beacon of Light, Sacred Shield, and Misdirection type spells showing who is the recipient of those spells also.
d) I know there's more but I'm only on my first cup of coffee

Thanks in advance for the opinions, likes/dislikes about each one. Other options are more than welcome also.

Vis
04-27-09, 01:10 PM   #2
Taryble
A Molten Giant

My guild, as a whole, had a very bad experience with DBM back in BC - specifically, timers on Lurker's Spout seemed to be off. Those who were using BigWigs had the right timers, but the people using DBM were often 5-10 seconds off. Since then, my guild's been saying that BigWigs is the boss mod that we're going to use (and it's the only one linked to on our guild website).
04-27-09, 01:39 PM   #3
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
My guild also had issues with DBM but when we went up against KT in Naxx the timers were off in Bigwigs and DBM's were not. we switched everyone back over to DBM after that and have had no issues.

It looks good, and the timers are accurate.
04-27-09, 03:30 PM   #4
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I used DBM at first, but I couldn't find any options of modules or whatever for making it work with 5-mans. That's when I went to BigWigs, because you can install LittleWigs as an extra set of plugins that gives you 5-man data.

You have to enable the raid / party notifiers manually in BW (so as not to be spammy) but the options are there.

I have not raided extensively, but BW has always given me what appears to be fairly accurate timer data.

I don't know how to create a pizza timer with BW. I use Grid for my raid frames, and GridStatusHots. Then I set frame borders to show Beacon of Light, and it'll outline my BoL target in green, which will go yellow at 10s left, then red at 3 (I think). It's extremely useful to me.

My recommendation goes to BW, but you can see that my choice may not be ideal for you. Good luck choosing.
04-27-09, 03:52 PM   #5
Twest
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

BW vs DBM

I have used both. As stated above, by some1 else, I used DBM back at the start of BC, and when I noticed timers being off, I switched to BW. BW has a module called Pizza Bar, it's seperate, but it works nicely. I switched back to DBM only because of shear size. DBM is a little bit more light weight, and since Wrath, timers have been damnear right on. I feel it, DBM, is a little cleaner as well, but that may be because of the additional addons I am using, such as nUI and Carbonite.
04-27-09, 04:24 PM   #6
nonameform
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm currently using DBM, but thinking of trying BigWigs with the possibility of switch. DBM is good most of the time, but I've noticed some problems with it.

For example, about ten days ago in Naxxramas 25 we were fighting Heigan and teleport timer was about 3 seconds off, so non-melee part of the raid received damage for standing on platform in phase 2.

At Ingvar the Plunderer (Utgarde Keep) in phase 2 DBM shows a helpful tip to stop casting at wrong ability and doesn't show one on the actual locking ability, so I have to ignore warning and watch closely at what the boss is doing at the moment.
04-27-09, 05:04 PM   #7
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I always liked BW better. It just seemed 'more comfortable' to me. I also had timer problems with DBM, so that kinda stuck a nail in the coffin, for me.

Also, here's a poll from a couple months ago asking the same question.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...&highlight=dbm
04-27-09, 05:16 PM   #8
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I
Also, here's a poll from a couple months ago asking the same question.
Bah, figures, lol. Aw well. Good info on both sides of the fence. Looks like trial and error will be large factor since both seem to be off here and there. But nothing's perfect.

Thank you all for the info and opinions
04-27-09, 06:22 PM   #9
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Bah, figures, lol. Aw well. Good info on both sides of the fence. Looks like trial and error will be large factor since both seem to be off here and there. But nothing's perfect.

Thank you all for the info and opinions
I wasn't discouraging you to keep asking, that poll was from a few months ago, I'm sure some things have changed . I just wanted to give ya some views to other opinions as well .
04-27-09, 07:00 PM   #10
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

lol, no worries Yhor, I know you're a "terrible person" and all, but I didn't take it that way :P

Between the other thread and some commenting from this one, I think I'm going to focus primarily on Bigwigs for now. Seems they have more support for 5 man runs whereas DBM seems to be focused primarily on the Raid environment.
04-27-09, 07:13 PM   #11
Sorian
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I have used both DBM and BW. BW was great, but trying to find the plugins for each and every instance was rough.

DBM's plugins were more broad and easier to grab them all at once. The only exception being pre-bc content. I don;t think that has been updated yet. Also, DBM has a plugin for timers and such for the 5-man heroics. Not sure about regular instances. Just check their optional files tab.
04-28-09, 03:11 PM   #12
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Sorian View Post
I have used both DBM and BW. BW was great, but trying to find the plugins for each and every instance was rough.

DBM's plugins were more broad and easier to grab them all at once. The only exception being pre-bc content. I don;t think that has been updated yet. Also, DBM has a plugin for timers and such for the 5-man heroics. Not sure about regular instances. Just check their optional files tab.
Bigwigs has a similar plugin. Littlewigs is for the 5man content. So far as i recall its dependent on bigwigs to work. So i guess its a plug in.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
04-28-09, 03:57 PM   #13
Ariele
A Cyclonian

i like BW better. our guild raid leader used dbm lately and his timers were few sec behind, BW was more accurate. but well both DBM and BW being updated so i guess it depends which one you like more.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Opinion: BigWigs or DBM?