09-04-07, 10:24 AM   #21
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I meant that now that you have one that should be installed properly, log in and see if it shows up.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
09-04-07, 10:41 AM   #22
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

It doesn't. =(

[edit]I just saw this in a thread started by Stormcrowsix:

"First of all, tnx a lot for this UI. Not trying to suck up here, but I just learned to know about this interface in a PvP movie yesterday, I installed it (I had like 25 different UI's in the last 2 years) and this one is

- the easiest to install, never had such a nice feauture to help you configure everything
- the most logic one, you can acces everything, see all data, and yet you don't need to look to long to adjust something
- one of the nicest looking I ever had, without messing with images, resolution, etc..."

and now I'm a bit confused.. is the WoWInterface something you need to download and install? I thought it was just the interface of WoW.. does that make sense? lol I mean the interface that you see after installing the game and logging in for the first time with no mods or anything installed... If it's something I need to download and install, perhaps this might be a reason for my not seeing the AddOns button..?[/edit]

Last edited by Erurainon : 09-04-07 at 10:48 AM.
09-04-07, 11:01 AM   #23
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
No, don't worry about the blizzard stuff. The addon button will only show up when you have some [other] mod installed properly.

So your install path for the one example we are looking at is:

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\CT_BarMod\CT_BarMod.toc

correct?

If no, tell us what it is.

If yes, then do this:

I'm presuming you have a shortcut to WoW on your desktop that you use to launch your game. Go to the shortcut, right click on it. Scroll down to "Properties". Tell us what is in the little box beside either Target or Start In, please?
09-04-07, 11:03 AM   #24
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

This is what's in the Target box: "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Launcher.exe"
09-04-07, 11:07 AM   #25
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
And your install path is:

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\CT_BarMod\CT_BarMod.toc

Oh, fiddle ... just had someone remind me of something in my IRC channel - what OS are you running? Windows? which version?

/edit - I have to go out for a while, don't give up, we'll get you sorted out.

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-04-07 at 11:13 AM.
09-04-07, 11:38 AM   #26
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Correct on the install path. OS is Windows Vista Home Premium.
09-04-07, 11:53 AM   #27
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
And there is the problem, right there.

Move your WoW folder out of the Program Files directory. Move it to Game Files or some other folder. Or turn on "Run as Admin".
09-04-07, 12:24 PM   #28
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cairenn
You mean Vista UAC gets in the way of WoW to read the Addons folder itself? This is just not fun at all
09-04-07, 01:24 PM   #29
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Cairenn

Move your WoW folder out of the Program Files directory. Move it to Game Files or some other folder. Or turn on "Run as Admin".
I have no directory called "Game Files" - should I create one and move it there? "Games" is on the start menu; but its full path is not displayed in Windows Explorer and I can't find any such entry in the directory tree anywhere on my C: drive. I'm not exactly sure how to turn on "Run as Admin"; but I right-clicked the WoW folder and selected Properties and went on to edit permissions allowing me full control. It's still in Program Files since I don't know where to move it and no joy on the AddOns button yet.

[edit to add]Besides being on my desktop, the launcher.exe is also found within "Games"; although I could not find the full path to that either since it's within "Games".[/edit]

Last edited by Erurainon : 09-04-07 at 01:32 PM.
09-04-07, 02:47 PM   #30
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Kaomie
You mean Vista UAC gets in the way of WoW to read the Addons folder itself? This is just not fun at all
Yup, I mean precisely that. Some people can't even run WoW itself because of the UAC unless they move it out of the Program Files directory, let alone worry about mods.

Erirainon, I'm working on getting you the answers you need. I know that those are the two methods you have to choose from to get it to work (moving WoW or Run as Admin), but I don't run Vista myself, so I'm not sure what the steps are you need to take. I know this is frustrating for you, hang in there.

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-04-07 at 02:54 PM.
09-04-07, 02:52 PM   #31
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

You can simply move your entire WoW folder to C:\. Or if you want that extra level of classification, you can create a Games folder.
09-04-07, 03:26 PM   #32
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
You can't even run WoW as an administrator and hope to get it to run correctly (at this point) with addons. The reasoning behind this is complex, especially for someone without a coding background and an intimate knowledge of the internal workings of UAC from a programmer's perspective, but suffice it to say, Vista has "automagically" made a little copy of your Program Files folder with regards to WoW in a secret location (known as the VirtualStore). This copying is known as "Virtualization" and is the cause of your problems -- you aren't actually adding files to your program files directory as far as WoW's concerned -- it'll never even see those new addons. This occurs because Vista detects that WoW is a "legacy" application and tries to enter a compatibility mode for it, in which Vista actually "lies" (yes, this is the technical term Microsoft uses) about a lot of access rights, but tries to allow them anyway without compromising security of the system.

You're going to want to copy your WoW directory to something other than the Program Files folder. Personally, I just installed it on a completely different partition altogether. If you don't want to lose all your settings, you may consider going into your virtual store and pulling out your WTF directory, as well, but given that it seems you have zero addons installed, that shouldn't be an issue for you. But if you need it, it should be in

X:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft

Where X is your drive.

Hope that helps,
-- Shirik
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
09-04-07, 03:46 PM   #33
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

ooh that is so yummy it really makes me want to NOT install Vista now. I was almost going to because the latest Nvidia beta drivers are Vista only and I have some compatibility issues with SLI and XP-64bits. But I will think again now thanks!
09-04-07, 04:22 PM   #34
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
ooh that is so yummy it really makes me want to NOT install Vista now. I was almost going to because the latest Nvidia beta drivers are Vista only and I have some compatibility issues with SLI and XP-64bits. But I will think again now thanks!
All of what I said isn't a bad thing. In fact, it's a very interesting (and valid) security standpoint. In fact, it's one of the things I hated about Vista at first, but grew to love.

Any correctly configured programs can embed a manifest to request certain privileges, and any program with a permissions manifest will avoid virtualization alltogether.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
09-04-07, 04:34 PM   #35
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

But since WoW is in virtualization mode, is it possible to install the addons directly to where they are supposed to be readable, eventually changing the rights on the folder to match the access?
09-04-07, 07:26 PM   #36
Kudane
Co-Founder

I have Vista as well and and my solution was to create the folder C:\Game Files\

I then moved WOW into it so I have: C:\Game Files\World of Warcraft\

The UAC will not prevent LUA data from being created or written in this folder as it is outside the protective barrier of Program Files.

I have started installing *ALL* my games into the Games Files directory and have not had an issue again with UAC not allowing a game to update or run.

my 2cp

Hope it helps.
09-04-07, 08:49 PM   #37
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Ok.. well earlier I had moved WoW out of Program Files and put it simply on my C: drive. I then had to reboot and got involved in a bunch of other things which consumed my day. I just now came back to it and saw it play the intro cinema and thought ok, maybe we have something here; but alas, that was just wishful thinking. Btw, the launcher on my desktop no longer worked and when I tried to put a copy of it from where it was onto the desktop I received a message that the launcher has to be in the same place as the program; so I had to click on it from within Windows Explorer..

@Kudane: Then I created a "Games Files" folder and put my WoW folder into that - again no joy. I still see no AddOns button.

Originally Posted by Shirik
If you don't want to lose all your settings, you may consider going into your virtual store and pulling out your WTF directory, as well, but given that it seems you have zero addons installed, that shouldn't be an issue for you.
This was true when I experienced the camera angle problem; but the point of this thread is that I do have addons installed now - my only problem is that I'm not seeing an AddOns button in the lower left (or anywhere else) on my character selection screen.

Next I'm going to try your suggestion about going into my Virtual Store and removing the WTF folder there. Thanks for all the help folks! It is much appreciated. =)

[edit to add]@Shirik: When you say "pull my WTF folder" from the Virtualization Store do you mean delete it? I found it just where you said it would be; but before I do anything I'd like to know for sure what you mean here..[/edit]

[edit#2]I put the WTF folder on the desktop just to get it out of the Virtualization Store; but I STILL can't see an AddOns button onscreen. This is driving me crazy.. I have an XP machine, but it has no vid card. Then there's this one with a 7900GS but with Vista.. ::siiiigh::[/edit]

[edit#3]What if I place the addons in the AddOns folder within the WoW directory that's in the Virtualization Store..?[/edit]

Last edited by Erurainon : 09-04-07 at 10:12 PM.
09-04-07, 09:38 PM   #38
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Kudane
I have Vista as well and and my solution was to create the folder C:\Game Files\
The funny thing is I have the habit to put no game on my system C:\ partition, everything is in E:\Games\, so I would probably not have had the problem without even knowing I was avoiding it
09-04-07, 10:13 PM   #39
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

The funny thing is I have the habit to put no game on my system C:\ partition, everything is in E:\Games\, so I would probably not have had the problem without even knowing I was avoiding it
If I were working on my desktop that is how I do it too. Unfortunately, I just came back from overseas and all I have to work with is this crummy Vista laptop. =(
09-04-07, 10:25 PM   #40
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Success!

Sort of.. I can now see the AddOns button and I checked to make sure all of my CT Mods were being used. Then when I went in-game, this is what I found:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CT_Mods.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1390  

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » No AddOns Button