09-10-12, 06:25 PM   #21
OrlyYarly
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by jc2470 View Post
if they wish to discontinue the project, it is there right and it doesnt give anyone else the authority to pick it up and start modding it
But someone would. The catch 22 of making something so useful that should you decide to stop making it and be selfish by not allowing the community to run with it when you no longer want to, someone will anyway. They could yank it off the web tomorrow and I guarantee it would pop up again by someone else. This happens time and time again for software.

I can only imagine how much work it would take to maintain such a large addon as Carbonite, and the time necessary to go through and resolve outstanding bugs. Especially if you no longer play the game. With that in mind, what's the point of not letting someone help you? What's the point of not appreciating (versus resenting) that someone kept people interested in your addon while you neglected it versus them finding replacements and no longer using what you put so much of your time into making great?

I'm curious if the only reason the original author came back is due to seeing Rythal's name associated with it on a web site noting alternatives..

Originally Posted by jc2470 View Post
I for one and am glad developers have patched it.
Unfortunately patching and fixing are two different things. No reason presently to stop using the fan update. It works. Better than the official 'fix' apparently.

09-10-12, 06:32 PM   #22
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by OrlyYarly View Post
I'm curious if the only reason the original author came back is due to seeing Rythal's name associated with it on a web site noting alternatives..
No, I admit I never tried contacting Fataal myself, I had enough people tell me they had sent emails to find out if they were going to update, that I really did not want to add more onto it. But he was good about replying to them and had said he was going to work on updating it this weekend before that article came out.

09-11-12, 09:24 AM   #23
Shaddoh
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
No, I admit I never tried contacting Fataal myself, I had enough people tell me they had sent emails to find out if they were going to update, that I really did not want to add more onto it. But he was good about replying to them and had said he was going to work on updating it this weekend before that article came out.
Either way, I just want to thank you Rythal for taking your time to "patch" this addon so the community could continue to use it. Have you ever considered creating your own addon(s)?

09-11-12, 10:21 AM   #24
Maggz
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I stopped using carbonite back when they tried enforcing the fee to use policy anyhow, the addons most of the authors here create is mainly to try and help out the wow player base, with no monitary concern at all. sure donations are cool and if people want to donate thats a cool thing. It is not something the majority of authors here write thier addons for. Carbonite has been around for a long time, it has run its course and it is probably time to move on from it. Everything it does is reproduced by other addons at this time. true no one addon contains the overal scope of functions, however the ones u can add to replace it at this point is better than carbonite is hands down.

@Rythal Everyone here knows you had the best of intentions for doing what you did, yes it was wrong but you owned up to that part of it from the very begining, never trying to take credit for someone elses work. The carbonite authors could have seen that to if they had ever tried to look into. You should start your own addon build it from scratch and call it Carbonized, solely to put a big FU in carbonite authors faces.

Anyhow all that aside, goodluck on your developments Rythal.

09-11-12, 11:46 AM   #25
1lonewolf1
A Defias Bandit
What it looks like to me IMO is the authors have put in an update to;
a) get more donations
b) break the add-on to unusable
When they say they where ignorant to the patch i call ^%$ I am sure they have access to the countless attepts to contact them and have logged in within the last month or two.
I was getting ready to donate again like I do every big patch but, as luck would have it, came to the forums first.

09-11-12, 01:13 PM   #26
blackhat6969
A Kobold Labourer
i find it funny all these people talking about copyright and all i looked for a few hours and cannt find any record that the authors have or had a copyright on this at all. now maybe i missed it but i dont think i did unless they used a different name than Carbon Based Creations, LLC or any variation there of

here is the copyright website if any of you want to look

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwe...cal&PAGE=First

flame on

09-11-12, 03:23 PM   #27
Maggz
A Cyclonian

all creations of a work are the sole property of said author with or without going thru the process of obtaining a copywrite notice from the government. In fact they could pay for a copywrite license right now and still be covered for thier previous work on carbonite. That is how intellectual property laws are.

09-11-12, 05:04 PM   #28
lerb
A Frostmaul Preserver

If you take something copyrighted and violate that copyright, you're doing something wrong. That's just how it is, even if it's because you want to get this broken copyrighted thing working for the community. Simple as that. It doesn't matter how many unsuccessful emails asking for permission etc you send, it is still copyrighted. I don't want to guess how many hours the author/authors has put into this addon in total.

With that said, one could argue what else to do since it seems the majority of Carbonite users can't play WoW without said addon. If I was one of the authors, had quit the game etc. and some capable person asked me if he/she could take over the addon, I'd be happy. But clearly the author/authors doesn't want this.

And that's how the cookie crumbles.

09-11-12, 05:38 PM   #29
ookamiashes
A Defias Bandit
Let's say this again shall we - there is not a trademark or copyright on the carbonite addon. you can't just say something is copyrighted and it miraculously be so. there are forms and fees and more than just saying it's © or ®.

CARBONITE® is a registered trademark of Carbon Based Creations, LLC.
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Carbon Based Creations, LLC

What Rythal did was right and very helpful. I hope he understands both. We all really appreciate it.

This Post and all its contents © ookamiashes 2012 - any duplication or misrepresentation of this post will be prosecuted in a court of law to its fullest extent.

09-11-12, 06:21 PM   #30
Pennet
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by ookamiashes View Post
Let's say this again shall we - there is not a trademark or copyright on the carbonite addon. you can't just say something is copyrighted and it miraculously be so. there are forms and fees and more than just saying it's © or ®.

What Rythal did was right and very helpful. I hope he understands both. We all really appreciate it.

This Post and all its contents © ookamiashes 2012 - any duplication or misrepresentation of this post will be prosecuted in a court of law to its fullest extent.
Duplicated.

Sue meh.

09-11-12, 06:22 PM   #31
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by ookamiashes View Post

09-11-12, 06:34 PM   #32
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What Cairenn said.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

09-11-12, 06:36 PM   #33
Maggz
A Cyclonian

Again, i think rythal's heart was definatly in the right place. With that said even rythal himself knew it was a grey area. He even posted it from day 1 of his fam update. Him acknowledgin he was doing wrong ans still doing so doesnt change the fact he did wrong. He knew he did. Tho i do understand why he did it and im sure a ton of others do as well. Trouble is that most people dont understand how a copywrite works and others dont even think it should apply to this form of intellectual property. That being said there are tons of threads here about copywrite laws and such lets not turn this thread into that. I do wish rythal tons of luck with his new addon and if there is anything i could do to help him i would surely do so.

the original topic post here was all about someone upset at how carbonite responded to rythals fan update, and how they felt the original authors were a bit on the harsh side. To that note i agree and felt they could have reacted differently.

09-11-12, 11:35 PM   #34
Drarkan
A Murloc Raider
Hell I wish I knew how to write an addon, let alone patch a broken one.

@ Carbonite Authors: You ungrateful pricks, you run a money cow and treat the community like crap? I paid for this addon when it was paid to use before and was happy with it. But now with your uncaring attitude to the project, you have two options, 1) work on the addon again full throttle like you did in the past, or 2) Let someone else take up the addon for future updates, or just get used to someone doing it without your permission. Hell I would. Once something is on the internet, get used to it being copied. I was a click away from donating but like many others i'm sure, took to the forums first and did a little learnin' on whats been going on. I'll donate to someone who deserves it.

@ Rythal: I thank you for "Fan Updating" one of my (previous) favorite addons so I can use it the way it was meant to be. Sure you didn't take it and call it your own, in fact you clearly told contributers to donate to the authors as its their creation. You did nothing wrong.

Like I said, I wish I knew how to code, cause I don't live in the US, there's F-all you could do to stop me from posting "Carbonize" if all I did was fix the addon, change the ownership tags, and even spruced it up a bit. Hmm, maybe I'll go learn me some coding

09-12-12, 01:02 AM   #35
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Okay, enough. I've already asked you guys once, nicely, to stick to our site rules. I'm not asking now. I understand people are upset, but you will follow the rules and remain civil, or you'll be taking a vacation from the site.

1. Post with respect and courtesy. Debate is fine ... so long as when you disagree with someone, you respond in a civilized and constructive manner.

2. No libel. No defamation of character. Don't come here and slam/flame anyone/thing. Don't come here sounding off that Blizz sucks, EQ sucks, mod_author_01 sucks, etc and so on. None of that. You want to post things like that, take it elsewhere, there are enough other boards that cater to that type of thing. This isn't FlameVault. See 1.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » I'm no longer supporting this add-on