06-13-10, 08:12 AM   #1
xelepart
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Three possible ideas for quest tracking.

1. Don't show class-only quests, such as the Warlock pet quest lines, to the other classes. Hide them. There aren't that many, so even if it's hard to automate, you could make a special list.

2. Don't show holiday-related quests, such as the Elders, unless that holiday is active.

3. Don't show "summoned-NPC" or "this item begins a quest" "quest givers" on the map -- "NPC:37337" (the baby raptor for the horde daily raptor-mount quest in un'goro) is listed in like 10-12 different places, giving the same quest in multiple places, and none of them make any sense. They are all just dailies from a guy you summon. Same goes for the Orphans -- you can get their quests anywhere. Marking them on the map is just confusing. Perhaps there could be a list of quests received from summoned NPCs somewhere?

Just some food for thought.

-x

06-13-10, 11:01 AM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by xelepart View Post
1. Don't show class-only quests, such as the Warlock pet quest lines, to the other classes. Hide them. There aren't that many, so even if it's hard to automate, you could make a special list.

2. Don't show holiday-related quests, such as the Elders, unless that holiday is active.

3. Don't show "summoned-NPC" or "this item begins a quest" "quest givers" on the map -- "NPC:37337" (the baby raptor for the horde daily raptor-mount quest in un'goro) is listed in like 10-12 different places, giving the same quest in multiple places, and none of them make any sense. They are all just dailies from a guy you summon. Same goes for the Orphans -- you can get their quests anywhere. Marking them on the map is just confusing. Perhaps there could be a list of quests received from summoned NPCs somewhere?

-x
Well, first off I don't think Carbonite has a way to tell which of your character's are what class, so it probably won't be separating out class specific quests anytime soon.

2. I'm pretty sure the list of quests is partly from Blizzard and partly compiled from information given by people who have done quests and sent the information to Carbonite's developers to help with the quest database. If you don't want to see holiday quests, just bypass everything in the quest database that is prefaced by a (0).

3. I don't think I've ever run into seeing a "This item begins a quest" quest giver location on WoW. It's a random occurrence, and as such, Carbonite (and, I think to a certain extent, Blizzard, also) has absolutely no idea when or where it will happen. Have you done the Venomhide Ravasaur Horde mount quests? If you haven't, let me enlighten you about something: I don't know how many times the quest chain for this mount actually shows up in the Carbonite Quest Database, but here's the way it works. It involves getting a quest from a single NPC (Mor'vek) in Un'Goro Crater to begin. It's called Toxic Tolerance (which, I believe, isn't in Carbonite's quest database). Complete that, and you can accept another quest. Venomhide Eggs. This leads you to the "chain" of daily's. I say "Chain" simply because it can be any one of 4 different quests on any given day, but starts by accepting the quest They Grow Up So Fast. You then get to do the daily's: Gorishi Grub, Hungry, Hungry Hatchling, Poached, Scrambled, Or Raw, or Searing Roc Feathers. At the end you turn in the required materials, and get a Whistle of the Venomhide Ravasaur. None of this happens because
They are all just dailies from a guy you summon.
The only summoning that happens is when you "summon" the baby Venomhide Ravasaur (every day) to get your daily quest.
If it doesn't make sense it's because you don't know what the quest is, not because of something Carbonite has done. For some odd reason, when the quest is listed on Wowhead, each of the daily's are split into two quests. One for Blood Elf's and Orc's. and another for Tauren, Troll and Undead. They have the same name and the same objective to be accomplished at the same place, so perhaps this is why those quests show up so often in the database.

As for the "orphan quests", just like any other quests you have to go to a certain location to get them, so why shouldn't you be able to see it on the map?

Anyway, it's highly doubtful that the database will be changed in the ways you are suggesting. Some users might actually want to do the quests you are suggesting and want to know where to get those quests.

If you are bothered by this so much, just turn off showing quest givers on your map. Problem solved.

06-13-10, 11:30 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Well, first off I don't think Carbonite has a way to tell which of your character's are what class,
That's quite easy, actually. Though I'm not sure if it's already in Carb's code.

UnitClass("player")
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-13-10, 03:47 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
That's quite easy, actually. Though I'm not sure if it's already in Carb's code.

UnitClass("player")
Yeah, I've seen that in conjunction with other things to find the class. I just don't think Carbonite uses it since all of my characters have the same quests available around the same level, but they're not all the same class.

06-28-10, 03:36 PM   #5
xelepart
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
"I don't think Carbonite has a way to tell which of your character's are what class"
Someone else already pointed out that it's a one line command IN THE LANGUAGE THE WHOLE MOD IS WRITTEN IN. They have exactly one way to tell exactly that at any point anywhere in the entire code base. So first off, you're wrong.

2. The list of quests is Blizzard's quest list. it's by Blizzard's Quest ID, as collected by Carbonite users using Carbonite's quest collection code (which, by the way, has access to what class I am) -- my suggestion was a way to make the interface better. If I say "I look at my map, and half the quests are holiday quests. I would find an option to hide them convenient," and your response is "just ignore the holiday ones," that makes no sense. That's like me saying "gee, carbonite's great it shows useful information" and someone saying "nah, just use wowhead." the point is convenience, and making the mod as useful and powerful as possible. having a bunch of things on my screen that are 100% aboslutely useless because it's the middle of summer, and they are Winter Veil related doesn't make sense. Yes, I, personally, can ignore them. However, MY SUGGESTION WAS THAT MAYBE I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO. Thank you for your input that I can do it myself.

3. Are you serious? Do you even know what you're saying? Yes, I've done the quest line. And yes, Carbonite is perfectly able to identify that the same quest giver is giving the same quest in 30 different locations. My suggestion, in this case, is that showing 30 different locations that happen to be the locations that other people summoned a guy (or spoke to a summoned guy) who can be summoned basically anywhere does not provide useful information. It would be better to provide some *other* representation of this. For instance, just last week I did the Brann Bronzebeard quest line in Stormpeak Mountains. Brann's image can be summoned anywhere. However, Carbonite has him indicated at five specific locations, some of them for some quests, some for others. And none of those locations actually means anything -- you can summon him anywhere. there's no reason to fly to a place someone else summoned him to turn in the quest.

Furthermore, I did not say "change it and make the display of these quests impossible," because that would be stupid. Obviously, it's valuable information. I asked for OPTIONS to hide seasonal quests, and suggested that summonable/any-location quest-sources could have better presentations.

I've done every quest in this game multiple times, I have been writing mods for six years, and I have been using Carbonite for three. I know exactly what I'm talking about, everything I suggested is entirely possible, most of it without much work. There are no Lua or WoW-based restrictions that would stop them, they are entirely presentation-to-the-user related, none of them in any way would remove or stop other people from doing or seeing this quest informtion.

People like you make me hate postings in forums.

Dear Carbonite,

I officially remove my ideas for possible improvements to your UI which would be options and not in any way require any form of database changes, entirely based on this windy shmuck's meaningless and entirely wrong on every point blatherings.

-x

Last edited by xelepart : 06-28-10 at 03:41 PM.

06-28-10, 04:10 PM   #6
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you were just intent on ripping apart someone else's opinions and offerings of their personal advice and then deciding to insult them for it, why did you even bother to post a reply?

Everyone has an opinion, and I believe whether we like the other persons stance, thoughts, etc we should at least be civil in our disagreements. No need at all for name calling.

06-29-10, 04:18 AM   #7
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Prozak, much?

Originally Posted by xelepart View Post
"I don't think Carbonite has a way to tell which of your character's are what class"
Someone else already pointed out that it's a one line command IN THE LANGUAGE THE WHOLE MOD IS WRITTEN IN. They have exactly one way to tell exactly that at any point anywhere in the entire code base. So first off, you're wrong.

2. The list of quests is Blizzard's quest list. it's by Blizzard's Quest ID, as collected by Carbonite users using Carbonite's quest collection code (which, by the way, has access to what class I am) -- my suggestion was a way to make the interface better. If I say "I look at my map, and half the quests are holiday quests. I would find an option to hide them convenient," and your response is "just ignore the holiday ones," that makes no sense. That's like me saying "gee, carbonite's great it shows useful information" and someone saying "nah, just use wowhead." the point is convenience, and making the mod as useful and powerful as possible. having a bunch of things on my screen that are 100% aboslutely useless because it's the middle of summer, and they are Winter Veil related doesn't make sense. Yes, I, personally, can ignore them. However, MY SUGGESTION WAS THAT MAYBE I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO. Thank you for your input that I can do it myself.

3. Are you serious? Do you even know what you're saying? Yes, I've done the quest line. And yes, Carbonite is perfectly able to identify that the same quest giver is giving the same quest in 30 different locations. My suggestion, in this case, is that showing 30 different locations that happen to be the locations that other people summoned a guy (or spoke to a summoned guy) who can be summoned basically anywhere does not provide useful information. It would be better to provide some *other* representation of this. For instance, just last week I did the Brann Bronzebeard quest line in Stormpeak Mountains. Brann's image can be summoned anywhere. However, Carbonite has him indicated at five specific locations, some of them for some quests, some for others. And none of those locations actually means anything -- you can summon him anywhere. there's no reason to fly to a place someone else summoned him to turn in the quest.

Furthermore, I did not say "change it and make the display of these quests impossible," because that would be stupid. Obviously, it's valuable information. I asked for OPTIONS to hide seasonal quests, and suggested that summonable/any-location quest-sources could have better presentations.

I've done every quest in this game multiple times, I have been writing mods for six years, and I have been using Carbonite for three. I know exactly what I'm talking about, everything I suggested is entirely possible, most of it without much work. There are no Lua or WoW-based restrictions that would stop them, they are entirely presentation-to-the-user related, none of them in any way would remove or stop other people from doing or seeing this quest informtion.

People like you make me hate postings in forums.

Dear Carbonite,

I officially remove my ideas for possible improvements to your UI which would be options and not in any way require any form of database changes, entirely based on this windy shmuck's meaningless and entirely wrong on every point blatherings.

-x
Dude! What's up with the anger? Seriously... Chill man... There's too much hate in the world as it is without all the name-calling over an addon for a game.

Is something wrong? Did Timmy fall down the well? Bark once for yes, and twice for no... Wait... Was that one bark or two? I sneezed and couldn't hear...

I'm formally asking for someone to do a psychological study of all Carbonite users... Cuz it seems about 25% of them are just consumed with rage, and the rest of them are like... well... me...

Oh, and on a side note, Xelepart... If you're such an accomplished mod author... CREATE A NEW AND IMPROVED CARBONITE!!! One where your every wish is fulfilled...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

07-02-10, 02:11 PM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

OK. Fine. Go write a replacement for Carbonite.

I await the results.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Three possible ideas for quest tracking.