11-05-06, 02:34 PM   #1
robert98374
A Murloc Raider

Low memory usage UIs

Right now i am running 512 memory and i am starting to raid 10-20 man instances and its lagging too much for my compy, now i like min screen clutter but plenty of options for spells and inv right now i am using Astro's UI (Mage) and it runs great but i need a little less memory usage
11-05-06, 03:27 PM   #2
sarf
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Unfortunately, there's no patent solution.

Essentially, you need to swap around addons so that you use such addons that provide the bare minimum of functionality you need for the raids.

As you are a Mage, you may be able to get by without a lot of addons.

A lot of people appreciate Ace2.0 based addons, as that library has a reputation for being memory efficient.

My suggestions:
  • Make a list of addons that you must have due to raiding rules. This probably includes Decursive and some sort of raiding addon (CT_RaidAssist, oRA, BigWigs or whatnot).
    There are addons that emulate specific parts of the functionality of CT_RaidAssist, and often in a more optimized manner. You can try these out (I would recommend talking to the raid leaders so that you get their OK - and hopefully blessing) and see if it fills your needs. Look around this and/or other sites. Do note that CT_RaidAssist is - I think - most widely used raid addon, and hence its CT_RABossMods boss mod addon gets updates a bit earlier than other addons.
  • Try to do more with less. This means not using Quanjure or similar conjuration addons. Get used to put food and water in the same slots, and use a macro to eat and drink (macro below). Put up your Mana gems in action slots.
  • Make sure your graphics settings are appropriate for your hardware.

Macro to eat and drink - drink in first slot in backpack, food in second slot (if you need it):
Code:
/run local p="player" if UnitMana(p)/UnitManaMax(p) <= 0.95 then UseContainer(0,1) end if UnitHealth(p)/UnitHealthMax(p) <= 0.95 then UseContainer(0,2) end
I have put the value 0.95 which is equal to 95% - this is the cutoff at which drinking and eating will start.

Macro to conjure stuff (drink, food, mana gem):
Code:
/run local e,s,g,D,F,G e="" s=e g=GetContainerItemInfo _,D=g(0,1) _,F=g(0,2) G=g(0,3) if D<=10 then s="Water" elseif F<=10 then s="Food" elseif not G then s="Mana Ruby" end if s~=e then CastSpellByName("Conjure "..s) end
Do note: Macros have not been tested.
This seem to be a lot of work, and it is. The sad fact is that by attempting to run a raid in low-end machines you are setting you up for some major PITA. I recently got an upgrade from my P4 1.7GHz with 768Mb PC133 RAM, and I can basically run any addon I want now, which I could not do before (go SpellChecker2!).

I did manage to run BWL (as a Warrior) up to and including Vael by being utterly ruthless in what addons I used. It was not fun - but it is possible.

In the good news, raiding in smaller instances is less stressful on your system, and you get a bit more leeway in what addons you can run.

Sarf
11-05-06, 04:23 PM   #3
gariig
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
What is your memory usage at?

I looked at Astro's UI and here is what I would dump
DamgeMeters
FelwoodGatherer
Fubar_DamageMetersFu2
Gatherer
MobHealth
Squishy
WIM

As a mage those are "nice" but they are either irrelevant (Squishy) or us a lot of memory (DamageMeters/Gatherer)

You could always try to get another 512 for your computer this Holiday season
11-05-06, 04:26 PM   #4
robert98374
A Murloc Raider

its just a temporary turn down, in a bout 2 weeks ill be getting another machine but trying to work the best i can until then

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Low memory usage UIs