01-07-06, 12:47 PM   #1
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
DFM - Casting Bar text disappears after x casts

I'm having an unusual problem. I've replaced the artwork and modified the position of my casting bar. When I first did this, I did what I read Loz suggest in another thread: simply move the casting bar frame and not touch the other items. Unfortunately, both the flash graphic and the text remained in the old position. So, I then moved them with the same x and y offsets that I used with the casting bar frames. At that point, it looked like it worked fine.

What is strange now is that after I cast a dozen or so spells, the casting bar text will stop appearing. I do nothing discord setting related at all in this time. I just casted spells, for example repeated water conjuring spells. After the text stops appearing, I can't get it to show up no matter what I do in discord, including reloading the UI. The only way to get it to reappear is to relog, after which it will work for another handful of spell casts and then go back into hiding.

Has anybody seen this happen before or have any idea how to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

- Mazzle
01-08-06, 12:23 PM   #2
Mimesis
A Fallenroot Satyr
ad

finding the name of the text frame and setting its frame strata to a higher number and then locking it should work.
01-08-06, 09:18 PM   #3
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thank you for responding, Mem. Unfortunately, there is no option for either setting the parent or frame strata for text items in dfm. I guess the options changed depending on the type of frame or item selected in the left hand column? I had to modify the item to change its position in the first place and reverified it now.

I'm starting to think that what starts the disappearing act is when I first get an error of some sort, like "Inventory Full". Does that give you any ideas? Do the two events perhaps share something?

Loz?
01-08-06, 10:20 PM   #4
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's definitely related to error text being displayed. If I interrupt even the very first spell cast, the casting bar text will no longer be visible. Hmm, it's a clue...
01-09-06, 05:41 AM   #5
Lozareth
An Onyxian Warder

Couldn't tell you what might cause that. Do you use a cast time mod that adds to the casting bar text or any mod that might be trying to change it? Could be a bug with that mod. I've modified every part of my casting bar and don't have that problem.
If it's not a mod causing it then somehow the bar texture and fontstring have ended up on the same draw layer. Unfortunately you can't change draw layers without editing XML files until patch 1.10 goes live. You also can't set the order in which things display within a draw layer, it's always random and can change as you play.
You can't set the frame strata of FontStrings and Textures, they always use the same strata as thier parent frame. Bumping up the Frame Level might help but not always.

Hmm, did you by chance set the CastingBarFrame's frame strata to BACKGROUND? That can potentially cause it too since it seems everything get shoved onto the same draw layer in that strata. Setting it to LOW or higher might help.

Last edited by Lozareth : 01-09-06 at 05:43 AM.
01-09-06, 07:59 PM   #6
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Lozareth
Couldn't tell you what might cause that. Do you use a cast time mod that adds to the casting bar text or any mod that might be trying to change it? Could be a bug with that mod. I've modified every part of my casting bar and don't have that problem.
If it's not a mod causing it then somehow the bar texture and fontstring have ended up on the same draw layer. Unfortunately you can't change draw layers without editing XML files until patch 1.10 goes live. You also can't set the order in which things display within a draw layer, it's always random and can change as you play.
You can't set the frame strata of FontStrings and Textures, they always use the same strata as thier parent frame. Bumping up the Frame Level might help but not always.

Hmm, did you by chance set the CastingBarFrame's frame strata to BACKGROUND? That can potentially cause it too since it seems everything get shoved onto the same draw layer in that strata. Setting it to LOW or higher might help.
Success! I followed your suggestion and disabled all other addons. The behavior went away. So, I initiated a relog-athon to try to figure out which add-on it was. And the winner is....CT_MasterMod. It's a little control panel for modifying things for the various ct addons. Apparently, it does have a casting bar timer that screws with your casting bar EVEN IF YOU HAVE THAT MODULE DISABLED. I didn't even know it existed and it was disabled. Since I have to use the CT RaidAssist, I just deleted all the references in the xml and appropriate lua file. Problem gone.

Thanks Loz! (I'll post this on your forum when it comes back up, as it seems like it would be a common problem, given that CT is required by so many raiding guilds.)
01-10-06, 02:50 PM   #7
Loviotor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Which files and lines did you have to modify to fix it? I'm going through the files now, and trying to get them fixed.
01-10-06, 04:42 PM   #8
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Search the files for references to casting and castbar. The two files are CT_MoveFrames.lua and .xml. I ended up just disabling the addon once I realized it was not actually required by CTRaid.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » DFM - Casting Bar text disappears after x casts